Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a fair warning, its 1am here and I'm tired and aggravated...

Well this makes the second time my TSX has messed up on us since I bought it and it will have to go back to SCT again from the looks of it. I bought it used and shortly thereafter found it was locked so I contacted SCT to get it sent out and unlocked. They finally ended up shipping me a new dongle because it was apparently damaged somehow internally :shrug: Get it hooked up on one of the shop trucks - works great. Battery life is ehhhh, but it does work pretty nicely. A week later I jump in the truck to go pick up some parts - TSX can't find the dongle. Great. Messed with it a bit and figured out nothing so I left it. A few days later I jump in it and its working again. Ok so it was a fluke. Next week it gets yanked out and put on a friend’s truck for a test spin to see if he wants me to order one in for him. That escapade went flawlessly. Put it back on my shop truck and ran it for a while.

Now I'm going to take a short pause here to express my feelings about the fit and finish of the TSX:

1) Seems that for a nearly $900 programmer it would be a little more sophisticated and attractive in its overall appearance, (something like these new Android based touchpads) but hey it works right?

2) The layouts on this thing leave MUCH to be desired.

3) Not very much user adjustability with the OS.

4) What kind of battery is in this thing? A couple AAA Rayovacs???

5) Well thats good enough for now... :blah:

Now back to my story.
After taking it on and off of TWO separate VIN trucks I put it on a third in preparation for a long trip - one of our other shop trucks. Now that was six days ago and guess what... the [email protected] touch screen will NOT connect to the dongle. Again. It’s stuck on the truck and try hard as I might I cannot get it to recognize the dongle. No lights at all on the dongle. Why? I have mounted the thing nicely and out of harms way on all three trucks every time it’s been installed and it has NEVER been abused or tampered with. Hell it hasn't even been plugged into a computer since we got it! One month and I am just about ready to trash this thing. Oh and if all this wasn't great enough - when we went to install it on its THIRD VIN (truck) it warned that this was its last remaining unlock! I guess it can't count to five either? :doh:

Anyone had this non-connection issue before? Seems I'm one of few that own one of these from a few quick Google searches so I doubt it but it’s worth a shot since I can't call SCT till tomorrow. I will add that SCT's customer service department is always very helpful and they seem to be a great group of guys.

I don't know, maybe its a fluke but from the luck I've had with this thing (and this has absolutely nothing to do with SCT as a company) I seriously doubt you'll see a TSX in any of our company's trucks again...:mad:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I got it figured out. As it turns out, it wasn't the TSX's fault :pointlaugh:

On a 2007 Powerstroke the in-dash powerpoint and OBD-II both share the same fuse. Apparently the power inverter that we use to charge our handheld radios blew the fuse.

On the bright side at least someone else may be able to solve their problem via my unnecessary rant thread LOL

Thanks guys

ALSO, just a little FYI for anyone that (like me) didn't know this:
I spoke to SCT regarding the unlock info, and even though I strongly disagree with the way its set up heres how it works...

When you install it on vehicle X - it uses ONE unlock.
The next vehicle you install it on (Y) - uses a SECOND unlock.
If you re-install it on your original vehicle (X) - it will use a THIRD unlock.

What this means is that VIN#s are NOT remembered within the programmer and EVERY TIME you install it, even if it goes back on the same truck it will use ONE unlock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts