Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
This Gets Addicting
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new Mustang. Can I use the same SCT X3 I use on my 6.0l and tune the Mustang? SCT part number is the same, just didn't know if I could float the same tuner between vehicles????? Thanks!

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Cant without returning one to stock and unlocking it every time. After every five times it would cost you 150

·
Busted Nuckles
115 Posts
I have an SCT SF3 (3015). I've been using only the canned tunes and it still says 'unmarried' and 5 unlocks left.
OK, so my tuner is single. But I thought that once you used the tuner on a vehicle it would become married to that vehicle. What is it that constitutes a marriage in the SCT culture.

I haven't loaded a custom tune, yet....is that what ties the knot?

·
<--won't start
235 Posts
Cant without returning one to stock and unlocking it every time. After every five times it would cost you 150
Would you have to return it to stock? could you load a tune on one, leave the tune on. Back up the stock file on a computer, then switch to the other vehicle and repeat the process?

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Would you have to return it to stock? could you load a tune on one, leave the tune on. Back up the stock file on a computer, then switch to the other vehicle and repeat the process?
cant do that.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have an SCT SF3 (3015). I've been using only the canned tunes and it still says 'unmarried' and 5 unlocks left.
OK, so my tuner is single. But I thought that once you used the tuner on a vehicle it would become married to that vehicle. What is it that constitutes a marriage in the SCT culture.

I haven't loaded a custom tune, yet....is that what ties the knot?
It becomes VIN locked to that particular vehicle. You can return that vehicle back to stock and tune another vehicle tho...and then that vehicle will become VIN locked. But everytime to go and turn a vehicle back to stock and tune another vehicle with the same SCT device...you will lose a unlock on it. You can only do this 5 times like already mentioned. Once those 5 unlocks are used up you will not be able to use the SCT again until you send it to SCT and have them add more unlocks to it. You're just better off getting a SCT for each vehicle...that way each vehicle has it's own SCT with it's own custom tunes on it.

·
Busted Nuckles
115 Posts
Thanks, strokin6L,

Do I lose an unlock if I return the vehicle to stock and then load another tune to the same vehicle?
Every couple years I need to take it in to get it emissions tested.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Thanks, strokin6L,

Do I lose an unlock if I return the vehicle to stock and then load another tune to the same vehicle?
Every couple years I need to take it in to get it emissions tested.
no you will not lose an unlock cause the device is VIN locked to that vehicle. You only lose an unlock when you tune another vehicle. You can turn it back to stock as many times as you wish.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You could go out and buy the Ford IDS setup for somewhere in the neighborhood of $5000 or more. Then you could change the flash and vin numbers of each truck to be the same in the computers. At least you could say that you only had one tuner. Now if you had lets say 20 trucks or more that are similar then it may pay off to buy the ids. That is if you can figure out how to change the vin numbers with it. So really in the end you need to buy another SCT it is really cheap once you factor everything in. Oh and since we are talking about a mustang and a Superduty you don't really have the ids option.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
You could go out and buy the Ford IDS setup for somewhere in the neighborhood of $5000 or more. Then you could change the flash and vin numbers of each truck to be the same in the computers. At least you could say that you only had one tuner. Now if you had lets say 20 trucks or more that are similar then it may pay off to buy the ids. That is if you can figure out how to change the vin numbers with it. So really in the end you need to buy another SCT it is really cheap once you factor everything in. Oh and since we are talking about a mustang and a Superduty you don't really have the ids option.
Jeremy this would work. But in the OP's case. Ones an EX ones a mustang.

That wouldnt work out so well.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
i don't think that that would work
once the SCT has loaded up a tune it won't do another of the same upload even on the same vehicle

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
once the SCT has loaded up a tune it won't do another of the same upload even on the same vehicle
Mine does. But its an Xcal 2

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
It works.

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
If you have the sct loaded and the truck is reflashed by ford or any capible party you will lock the tuner and have to get sct to unlock it. Likewise if you were to be reflashed ( tuner set to stock and the flash changes) you would loose a unlock. If you were to "restore" the previous flash with the sct this would not happen. I think mombenz went thru this in a sticky. Best case senario is get a used sct and some custom tunes and have fun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts