Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be safe to run a SCT MPG tune without putting head studs in. I'm doing a Sinister EGR delete kit and thought about buying the tuner with it and just running a fuel economy tune. Comments?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
as long as you dnt beat on it, i dont see a problem.

just plan on doing studs sooner or later

·
Banned
924 Posts
should be fine, been running a race tune for 20k on stock headgaskets/bolts and its still fine

big thing is the oil cooler and egr delete

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got about 110K miles, should I do the oil cooler too while I'm in there? I don't hot rod the truck, or pull often. Occasional car trailer and small camper. I just want to prevent any extra work for me now.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Iv ran around 8,000 miles on my truck with stock headbolts, stock gaskets, stock egr. I am running sct with gearheads non studded street race tune. I use it all the time, daily driving, pulling a trailer, or just out hot rodding around town. just drive it smart when pulling a trailer.

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
You should really look into some sort of monitoring device that will allow you to see your engine vitals such as an Edge Insight CS/CTS, Scan Gauge II, etc. So while it may be and probably no doubt is very safe to run on your truck with a monitor you will be able to know that it is not hurting your truck. The three main things you need to look at are engine oil temperature (EOT), engine coolant temperature (ECT), and exhaust gas temperature (EGT). EGT will essentially tell you if you are going to melt your pistons and by looking at the difference between EOT and ECT you can tell if you have a clogged oil cooler which can eventually lead to a blown head gasket. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
588 Posts
FWIW, I've been running Eric's street tune for 55k miles on stock bolts, no problems yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts