Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a SCT GTX and it fried both of my batteries. I called SCT and sent my GTX back. I then bought two brand new batteries and waited for them to return my tuner or a brand new one. Mind you I’ve had the truck for a year and never had a single problem with it. I got the tuner yesterday and called SCT before I even plugged it in. My volts were too low to program it but the tech support employee told me it would be fine to run gauges with the voltage that I had. I drove to work no problem, but on my way home the truck was shorting out and finally died on me in the middle of the interstate. My truck is currently parked on the side of the road and I need help knowing what happened and whether or not SCT will help me with my obviously fried PCM. Once again I never had any problems with the truck until I plugged up their tuner.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm having a hard time seeing how a tuner that draws an amp or two at most would kill your truck in the way you have described. Can you describe what the engine and truck were doing when it "shorted out"? Do you have any power right now? Have you tried to unplug the tuner and start the engine? This sounds like a real coincidence... Can you look at the data in the tuner to see what the battery voltages were doing just prior to the engine dying? I have a suspicion that you may be having problems with the power cables in the truck. I know that the PCM controls the output from the alternator on newer trucks, but I'm not sure when they started doing that.

Cj

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm having a hard time seeing how a tuner that draws an amp or two at most would kill your truck in the way you have described. Can you describe what the engine and truck were doing when it "shorted out"? Do you have any power right now? Have you tried to unplug the tuner and start the engine? This sounds like a real coincidence... Can you look at the data in the tuner to see what the battery voltages were doing just prior to the engine dying? I have a suspicion that you may be having problems with the power cables in the truck. I know that the PCM controls the output from the alternator on newer trucks, but I'm not sure when they started doing that.

Cj
I never had any problems with this truck before I plugged in this tuner so I don’t see how it could be anything else. I was driving down the interstate and the truck would lose all electrical power. All lights gauges radio everything electrical would shut off and come back on. All dash info (MPG, fuel level, trip mileage, etc.) got reset. The truck continued to do this until finally it completely shut off and would not start again. When I tried to jump it off it cranked up and then shut back off. If I unplug the tuner it still has no power. The reason I blame the tuner is because it seems to me like it has corrupted something in my trucks computer

·
Registered
310 Posts
I hear your frustrations! I have had a couple of puzzlers with my 7.3 as well... What strikes me as odd in your case is that you have had dead batteries (first time) and jump the truck after such an event (second time).. I see three possibilities: my understanding is that a low voltage on the 6.0 computer is death. 1 - batteries were low, hooked up new tuner and poof truck dies with a dead pcm - no correlation with new tuner, 2 - new tuner is interfering with charging circuit on truck and caused batteries to drain during driving thus killing truck - truck dies due to tuner interference or possibly a faulty voltage regulator in alternator, 3 - main + battery wire is shorting against frame somewhere on truck causing dead batteries and now damaged pcm. I would pull the tuner for the moment and just get the truck running reliably again. Somehow your batteries are going flat... Solve that first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My reasoning for blaming the tuner is that when I replaced the batteries from them dying the first time and didn’t have the tuner plugged in my truck ran great. I then got a new tuner sent to me, I didn’t program anything on it due to low voltage just had gauges running and my truck freaks out and dies. I apologize if I seem rude I’m just extremely frustrated and I don’t have any answers as to what I need to do.

·
Registered
310 Posts
No offence taken... I have been in your shoes. I'm trying to divine fact and fiction in a manner of speaking.
I got the tuner yesterday and called SCT before I even plugged it in. My volts were too low to program
I didn’t program anything on it due to low voltage just had gauges running
These 2 quotes right here are what have me wondering... So to make sure I have the time line right... you are running down the road just fine enjoying the wind in your hair, you buy SCT and install and shortly thereafter batteries die. You send tuner back and get New batteries. You drive around with new batteries for a bit while waiting for new tuner to arrive. You install new tuner which tells you that you have Low batteries as you can not program the truck. If I were in your shoes I would stop right here and figure out why the batteries are not holding voltage. A shorted or open wire? Serious parasitic drain? SCT messed with the charging program in the PCM? Bad alternator maybe? Unfortunately, I don't have wiring diagrams for the 6.0 (hopefully someone here who does with chime in), but from the diagnostic side of things I'd say start with the charging system and power wires.

Good Luck! (keep us posted)

Cj

·
Registered
310 Posts
As a side thought.... Get FORScan and and one of recommended adapters and plug it into the OBD2 port and read the code and PIDs (if you still can). The FORScan with let you clear codes and watch PIDs without interfering with the PCM programming.
I have read about an instance in this forum where the tuner has corrupted the PCM/FICM in a truck. The issue was solved by sending the unit out for a reflash. I wold keep SCT in the loop as I assume they are trying to produce a quality tuner and information from your setup will help improve their product.

Cj

1 - 8 of 8 Posts