Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Spooling
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to the diesel world, just bought my first one about a month ago, a lifted 2006 F250. Other than the lift its pretty much stock other than an Airaid cold air intake and a 4" turbo back exhaust. I have been doing research and trying to learn as much as possible. I just got a SCT Livewire TS from Innovative and got a couple custom tunes from them. I loaded up the Xtreme Street tune and it is a night and day difference over the canned tunes! It is noticeably faster, drives better, and doesn't pour black smoke. However I noticed even with the Xtreme Street tune the boost level only goes to around 22psi. When I was on the highway and rolled into the throttle it spiked at 26psi. On the stock tune it is around 22psi. Is it normal for it to be at the stock boost level with a custom tune? I have three buddies that have 6.0l diesels with tunes and they are all making 37-39psi, thats why I am so confused as to why mine is still at stock boost levels but still feels much faster than stock. I know there are other factors such as fuel, timing, ect...but I would think the boost level would be higher. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Big dumb *******
4,200 Posts
If I recall correctly, 37-39psi on a stock turbo is a good way to shorten its life span.

·
Spooling
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah 37-39psi seemed like a lot to me on a stock turbo, but I am new to all this so I wasnt sure. But either way, why is their boost level so much more then mine? One of my buddies has an SCT tuner with the same Xtreme Street tune by Innovative Diesel. Like I said the truck runs great, I'm just confused by the boost level difference between my truck and my other buddies.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I don't believe the numbers your buddies are putting out, not on a stock "turdbo" impossible

·
Jackleg Mechanic
881 Posts
Your tune writer probably took into account that your truck was stock as you stated and kept the boost at stock pressures to keep you from lifting the heads. Get some head studs in it and you'll be able to bump that boost up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Either way you go... you will never see 37-39psi on the livewire. It utilizes the MAP sensor which can only read to about 30psi. Most tunes I have seen max out at 28 or 33 psi... You have to get an actual separate boost gauge to read that high

Also if you are running a stock turbo at 39psi you will be so far out of the efficiency range of the turbo that you will just be blowing a ton of hot air and then more than likely blow up the turbo.

Those other guys are probably just exaggerating

·
Spooling
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am more than happy and cant keep a grin off my face any time I get into the throttle, I was just curious as to why. From what I have been reading and you guys are telling me, mine is at a good and efficient boost level. My buddies and I are all seperated from each due to Army and personal needs. I am in AZ, one in NC, one in Korea, and one in Germany so I have not seen the boost levels in person. But one of my buddies is suppose to send me a video later today of it boosting 39psi. I will ask him again if its stock turbo or not. But I do know he told me its on stock head bolts, seems scary and like a time bomb to me. They all have an EGR delete and strait exhaust from turbo back so they have less restrictions than my truck. Also might be a difference in strategies maybe?

·
Big dumb *******
4,200 Posts
I don't care what they have done.... if they are consistently hitting 39psi on a stock turbo, they'll be buying a new one in the near future.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Something is going to go BOOM real soon. Would you believe you don't need a higher boost reading compared to stock to see more HP or performance?

·
Big dumb *******
4,200 Posts
Something is going to go BOOM real soon. Would you believe you don't need a higher boost reading compared to stock to see more HP or performance?
Say it ain't so!!! LOL

People have to learn the hard (and expensive) way I guess. Bigger ain't always better.

·
Spooling
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, thats the case now on my truck. Like I said I am new to diesels and trying to learn. I understand there is a lot more and the power was made through fuel, timing, and the trans tune. You guys and IDP are saying the same things and that everything is good and normal on my truck so I'm not worried and I'm def not wanting any higher boost, I'm not trying to push it hard. Just wanted something to turn the 37's and have a little go when needed. I was just curious if their boost levels were normal and something wasnt right with mine was all. I greatly appreciate everyone's help and input on this, def gave me a little more piece of mind on the situation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If your buddies are reading their boost off the MAP sensor you need to subtract about 15 from that number. The reason is because the MAP sensor takes barometric pressure into account, so you need to subtract out barometric pressure to get the actual boost number. This was an issue I came across when I got my Livewire. I was reading boost off the MAP sensor and seeing greater than 40PSI when I really dropped the hammer, but in reality it was only about 25PSI.

·
Spooling
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If your buddies are reading their boost off the MAP sensor you need to subtract about 15 from that number. The reason is because the MAP sensor takes barometric pressure into account, so you need to subtract out barometric pressure to get the actual boost number. This was an issue I came across when I got my Livewire. I was reading boost off the MAP sensor and seeing greater than 40PSI when I really dropped the hammer, but in reality it was only about 25PSI.
Oh ok, thats probably what is happening. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts