Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I simply need help with the loaded tunes in the SCT SF3 3015, specifically in street mode of the strategy tune. Is the street tune safe when not towing and simply being used as an everyday driver in normal operation, no lead foot here when driving my truck, just wanting a little more power off of the light and improved fuel mileage.

I do not want to add exhaust or have to change the head bolts. I just want to keep the truck on the safe side, not looking for louder exhaust. I do have an AFE air intake that replaces the air filter.

Also I have read some people get better mileage with the performance loaded tune over the street tune, can anyone that runs this set up confirm that.

So is the street tune good enough for what I have listed my needs to be, or do you experts feel I need to have a custom tune installed?

Thanks in advance for all input.

·
The Stig
1,614 Posts
custom tunes are so much better in every way.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
custom tunes are so much better in every way.
100% agreed, never ran anything with canned tunes except an edge juice on my old work pickup (chip was installed before i got it) and it hated life

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm a running TSD street tune that is great. Good power, better economy, and even tow with it (up to 8k).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which custom tune do you recommend for what I am looking for regarding improved driveability and improved fuel mileage, meaning who do you suggest I contact and what do the tunes cost?

Thanks.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
SRL from Matt at Gearhead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slickstroke6.0,

I assume you are running this program and if so, what kind of mileage do you get? My combo will be mostly city and about 30% hwy.

Also, just called SCT direct. They told me I will get the most fuel economy with the performance tune over their street tune. Street tune is 105 hp gain, perf is 150hp gain. Hard to believe going up 50 more hp from the 105 will give me better mileage.

We all like to go fast, I just don't need to do it in my truck.

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Slickstroke6.0,

I assume you are running this program and if so, what kind of mileage do you get? My combo will be mostly city and about 30% hwy.

Also, just called SCT direct. They told me I will get the most fuel economy with the performance tune over their street tune. Street tune is 105 hp gain, perf is 150hp gain. Hard to believe going up 50 more hp from the 105 will give me better mileage.

We all like to go fast, I just don't need to do it in my truck.

I only get about 14 MPG, but I have the worst commute. City driving, hilly, and low speed limits. I also have a sucky FICM flash, but PHP is gonna fix that for me, which should lead to huge MPG gains. Even with these issues, my leveling kit and larger tires, I get about 19 MPG on the highway.

·
Registered
77 Posts
just switched to SRL for DD. i usually haul a$$ everywhere i go but ive been seeing about 13 or 14 in town and 16-18 @ 75-80 hwy or long trips 18-20 @ 70-75 (all hand calculated). havent towed anything but a couple miles with the new tunes seeing about 12-13 (factory gauge aka a lie) grossing roughly 10,000k

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's funny how Diesels are different then gassers when it comes to power and fuel economy. On a gasser the more power the worse the mileage, Diesels are opposite to a point.. the more power you make the less time you spend pushing on the skinny pedal to get up to speed and the easier it is to maintain that speed over hills which helps mileage. The biggest gain you would see would be from deleting the cat, which doesn't make it any louder but helps a ton on mileage and power, second would he a ficm reflash from php or swamps they claim up to 4 mpg more with the reflash

·
Just another nut
148 Posts
I run a sct with canned tunes on my Excursion. I run the performance tune daily. No Problems. I have 80K miles with the sct. Ex has 128k. As far as I know original egr and oil cooler.

I have plans for egr delete.

As far as custom tunes it is as different as night and day. I had custom tunes on my 04. I loved it.

The Ex is my wifes. Canned tunes are fine for it.

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
It's funny how Diesels are different then gassers when it comes to power and fuel economy. On a gasser the more power the worse the mileage, Diesels are opposite to a point.. the more power you make the less time you spend pushing on the skinny pedal to get up to speed and the easier it is to maintain that speed over hills which helps mileage. The biggest gain you would see would be from deleting the cat, which doesn't make it any louder but helps a ton on mileage and power, second would he a ficm reflash from php or swamps they claim up to 4 mpg more with the reflash
whats the deal with this from Swamps? I just tried to get some info on thier website but couldn't find much... is it just a 58V FICM? I would LOVE 4mpgs!

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
Sorry didn't mean to derail...

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
I use Innovative's Street tune for a DD. It has plenty passing gear when you mash the skinny pedal, but what I like most is the throttle response for pulling into traffic. I got +2 mpgs in town, and average [email protected] I also have the Xtreme tune, but I had some odd powerbands in it (the truck would TAKE OFF at about 50mph). That was fun for passing a semi, but I like the street tune's predictability.

·
Registered
52 Posts
im on the same page as titan, i want a sct sf3 and run the street tune but at the same time i dont want to worry about loosing a gasket or blowing the studs... is it safe?

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
I've got 120k miles on the truck. It has been tuned for the last 30k. Still on stock gaskets and bolts. I'm fairly gentle on her though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm as stock as you could be running the street tune on my new TSX for a little bit now. I'm scared to run the performance tune after reading about doing so on an unstudded motor. I pulled my EGR to clean it prior to running the programmer but it was extremely clean. I disconnected it in the tune but now leave it connected. My EGT's have been fine. Also, my EOT vs ECT are typically within 2-4f so the vitals look good. I just don't want to break it or push it too hard untill I stud it and do a full EGR delete, and bypass filters.

Edit: I did try the perf tune at the track but those details are in another post.

·
Registered
52 Posts
so are yall tellling me it wont hurt to run a street tune from sct with a bone stock motor?, would it be better to get a x3 and buy tunes from innovative?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts