Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My 6.0 has a screeching noise at startup and sounds as if it is related to the turbo. Sounds like metal on metal sound but not sure. It makes two noises, about 5!seconds apart and usually changes the sound of the exhaust to its normal sound after the second screech. I have been told it may be the vacuum pump, is this correct? If so, how is it related to the exhaust sound. Almost sounds like an exhaust brake opening and closing, unsure if my 2006 has one though. Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
181 Posts
A 6.0 does not have a vacuum pump unless someone has added one for a towing system. Sounds more like you have one the turbo up pipes cracked and it is leaking exhaust. Have someone start it while you are out with the hood up. Look toward the back of the turbo and see if you get any smoke at the back side of the engine when they start it.

·
Jackleg Mechanic
881 Posts
I think what simmy meant to say was that the 6.0 doesn't have an exhaust brake. The truck definitely has a vacuum pump but it is most likely not causing the sounds you are hearing. Check into a EBPV.

·
Registered
225 Posts
mine did it and it finally stopped, when the air conditioning pump came apart.. $1800 to replace everything at the stealers.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You are correct, does not have a belt driven vacuum pump. AC compressors are a high fail item too. My guess would be a turbo or up pipes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree with the above posts. It could be any number of things. From what I read in your post if I interpreted it correctly is that it only does it at start up and then stops? Or is it a consistent noise as in recurring at all times while engine is running? Also does I do it 100% of the time at every start up or is it intermittent?

If it is not constant when the engine is running then I'm not sure I would start diagnosing at the turbo as it would seems bad bearings or excessive play would cause a constant screech or at least recurring while it's running. I would probably look towards the starter drive gear hanging up at start up or as stated above check the ac compressor. Could be that the compressor clutch is failing. Ruling out those two parts should be simple enough. Try starting it after you are positive the ac compressor is off and listen. And remember it comes on with ac turned on or with the heater on defrost. Or to make sure unhook the power wires running to the compressor.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Hey guys,

My 6.0 has a screeching noise at startup and sounds as if it is related to the turbo. Sounds like metal on metal sound but not sure. It makes two noises, about 5!seconds apart and usually changes the sound of the exhaust to its normal sound after the second screech. I have been told it may be the vacuum pump, is this correct? If so, how is it related to the exhaust sound. Almost sounds like an exhaust brake opening and closing, unsure if my 2006 has one though. Any ideas?

Thanks guys!
Any smoke?

Pull your intake off (truck off unless u wanna lose a finger) qnd check for shaft play In the turbo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I will check into all those ideas. I should restate that when it screeches it changes the sound of the exhaust as we'll. I read in another post that it could possibly be the actuator in the turbo. Does this make sense? The truck also has always took a second or two for the oil pressure to read on the gauge, until recently the exhaust sound would change in unison with the oil pressure reading. On my previous 6.0, I never had this issue with the oil pressure lag. It primed up immediately. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is definitely at the turbo, after a little listening. When it screeches the exhaust sound changes to its normal sound. Before the screech, you can not hear the turbo through the exhaust. And as previously stated, it boosts fine after that. It only makes that noise at startup, approximately 5-10 seconds after a cold start. Possibly the actuator??

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
No, its more than likely the bearing is failing inside the turbo. Remove the intake boot and check the shaft play in the turbo.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm not sure your noise is the same as mine, but I do have one. I, and I do hear the exhaust noise changing thing. I found this:

Hey guys. Sorry, I forgot to post the solution to this problem after I fixed it several months ago. So here's the deal.... what's happening is the unison ring in the turbo that controls the vanes is rusted and rubbing the inner side of the cast exhaust half of the turbo. After much frustration, I finally decided to devote a day to fixing the noise. I removed my turbo and took it apart and found quite a bit of rust in it. The unison ring was almost completely frozen to the housing and right then I knew where the noise was coming from. What happens is after the truck is started, the oil pressure comes up which in-turn controls the vgt solenoid which in-turn directs the unison ring and adjusts the vanes. This is the change in the exhaust sound that you hear a few seconds after the truck is started. The unison ring in a dirty turbo is actually scraping or rubbing the housing on the inner side of the ring and making this noise. So here's what I did.... I took a wire wheel on a die grinder and removed all the rust that I could MAKING SURE EVERYTHING MOVED FREELY and then coated everything with antisieze and put it all back together. I actually took a grinding stone on my die grinder and went around the inside of the unison ring to make it slighly larger and move better. I did purchase a small $9 seal kit from Ford but it was not completely necessary. It has never made the noise once since I did this. I have done this on three other trucks so far and it has fixed all of them. I'm pretty good when you put a wrench in my hand and It took me about 5-6 hours to do this after I had already done it and knew what to do. The first time, it took me around 8 hours because I went into it blindly. It was worth it though for sure. They say the turbo needs replacing when this happens, but it is just because they're probably too lazy to devote the time for cleaning it, yet they won't replace the turbo until it craps out.
Do what I did and I WILL GUARANTEE THE ANNOYING NOISE WILL GO AWAY!!!!!!! Good luck and if you have any questions, you know where to find me.
(the original is posted here, post #12)

I don't have my truck back together yet so I don't know without any doubt that this will fix my problem, but mine sounds exactly like what they were describing. I can't wait to see.

If you wind up cleaning the turbo, there are a couple videos illustrating it:

6.0lit VGT Turbo Part 1 Removal

6.0lit VGT Turbo Part 2: VGT Cleaning, CHRA Replacement

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the reply! That doesn't sound too bad, I have worked on turbo's before, so this fairly simply just time consuming. Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts