Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw that my #5 cylinder is scored. Is this from broken rings, hot/high spots on ring? No other cylinder is this way. I cannot feel the marks. Only on one side. Piston does not wobble.

I would rather shoot the dog, than to rebuild this engine again.

I'm about to just bolt it up and run it as is. F the scoring.

How can I test to be sure the rings are intact?
Can I just drive the damn thing as is for a while?

I am so Fng sick of this powerstroke.

3000 miles in 2 years.....that should tell you how much of a PITA it has been. I should have kept my worn out only-start-it-with-ether engine.

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know where the gap is. But if you look at the pictures, you'll see that the abrasion is much larger than a gap.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Interesting... I see what you mean. Maybe a deformed/broke ring? Hard to say without pulling the piston to inspect the rings. Did you happen to get a compression test done before you pulled the head?

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was in a hurry and just wanted the head off. I knew enough from my process of elimination that I would find an issue with my #1 cylinder exhaust valve train. Ended up being a lifter with a nick in it that caused it to stick in the bore.

I did not expect to see the scoring on #5.

I'll rotate the piston to the bottom and fill the cylinder with something. I don't know what, but likely a light weight oil. I'll let it sit and see if it leaks down on it's own.

This truck smokes quite a bit at idle when you first start. Puffs smoke. Once it's hot, the smoking goes away. It's probably the rings on #5.

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not alarming. It's a new engine with chromed rings that take 10,000 miles to seat. More than a typical new engine, but not insane. Not pulsing with the cap off.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Well since the rings havent seated yet, it would be hard to make a judgement off of the blowby. I've never heard of "chromed rings", anything that makes them better than a standard ring?

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The long block builder orders these pistons from Mahle with the rings already installed. They had problems with rings breaking, so they have them chrome plated before getting on the pistons. Allegedly this reduces the chance of breaking, but causes a surface that is harder to break in.

·
Caption This
4,259 Posts
Chrome faced rings have been available from ring manufacturers as far back as I can remember. And I can remember when most of your parents were born.

I'd have to see the piston removed to know what is causing that scuffing. In the pictures it looks like it stops at the bottom of the top ring. My first guess is a dirty assembly job. Maybe something embedded in the piston between the top and second ring.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Chrome faced rings have been available from ring manufacturers as far back as I can remember. And I can remember when most of your parents were born.

I'd have to see the piston removed to know what is causing that scuffing. In the pictures it looks like it stops at the bottom of the top ring. My first guess is a dirty assembly job. Maybe something embedded in the piston between the top and second ring.
I'm not suprised they've been around a long time, I'm only 21, and have only been working on diesels for the last 5 years or so. I just had never heard of them.

·
Registered
875 Posts

x2 pull the piston

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is a response from the assembler of the long block:

I forwarded this to one of our Powerstroke Tech guys and this is the response I received. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sir,

Based off the 2 pictures I saw, I would install the cylinder head & perform a leak down test & compression test on all 4 cylinders to make sure the cylinder in question is useable. Look for 4 equal cylinders, don't worry about low compression when the engine is cold. It is hard to tell the depth of the marks, they would need to be checked with a dial bore gauge.

I know it is visually unappealing, there are a number of things that could have caused the marks in the cylinders. The cause could be impossible to determine, but if it holds good compression & does not burn motor oil, then I would assume its fine to run. A broken ring would cause low compression or excessive oil consumption.

Make sure you used an evacuation system on the cooling system, not using one can cause air pockets & hot spots in cooling systems that could lead to piston scuffing. Make sure you have no programmer, tuner, aftermarket injectors, etc., they can also cause cylinder scuffing with over fueling issues. Also, use the correct priming tool, not the starter, for the oil system. The engine has piston cooling jets that need to have oil at them immediately when you turn the engine over with the starter.

·
OEM Moderator
9,379 Posts
Travis, it is time to walk away from that truck. You seem to be haunted by some evil curse that nothing is gonna change with that truck. Who build this motor with two different issues.

·
Caption This
4,259 Posts
I think you received a poor recommendation. I suspect whatever caused that scuffing hasn't come and gone but is a work in progress.

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tom: Yep. But I like the pain.

444-4D: I would agree. Mainly because if luck has anything to do with it, then it most likely will get worse, not better.

I'm going to put the head back on, do a leak down and compression test, and if those results aren't completely alarming, I'll put another 5000 on it and pull the head again to check it out.

Now just isnt the right time for me to yank that thing out of there. Rebuilding again with a new block in the future is better than doing it now, for me.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I would also pass that pic to swamps ..machinist ..or someone who has put alot of blocks together.
i am sure they can tell you more.. ie burr..trash etc.

I assume it will run and hold compression as is..but for how long will it last till it gets worse etc.
When it comes to engines scoring and wear i have never seen anything leave a mark and not do anything but get worse.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.