Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas! Its time for a new turbo or rebuild. I need something cheep no more then $1000 in all honesty $600-$700 would be ideal.. ive been reading up on these van turbos and they sound good to me.. i have an 02 with pmr's and dont plan on "anytime soon" making over 400hp. eventually id like to get some sticks but then again tuned to around 400hp. so school me on parts i would need to obtain to make this turbo work on my truck, upgrades to the turbo, cost, maybe other options from venders.. etc. how it would be different from the stock turbo (power)(spool time)(rpm range)(lag)(sound) etc.

Thanks!
Rick

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
If your not going to go with the 38r or different turbo setup like h2e (both over $1000) then i would just rebuild the stock turbo and maybe throw a 1.0 exhaust housing on it. Not worth dumping a bunch of money into. Just my .02

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
I have had the the van turbo on for about 3 1/2 years (80K miles or so.) with the WW. The van turbo has a 1.15 Exhaust housing, larger than the stock .84 housing - EGT's dropped a couple of hundered degrees while towing and our 31' 5th wheel.

Some go with the ATS housing, I went with the WW and have not had any surge issues. But those that have had the WW and ATS housing together say the turbo whine can get kinda loud.

Compared to the stocker you should see lower EGT's and lower back pressure which will be good for the PMR's if you have them. She might take a second to light, but when she does - look out.

The Van turbo can handle the higher boost better than the stock turbo. From what I've learned from Jon, Pocket, Jeremy & Brandon (and others), is that because of the larger turbine housing on the Van turbo, you can actually spool them over 25 psi and they will'll take it unlike the stocker. The bearings on both the stock turbo and the Van turbos have a tolerance of 60-80 psi of thrust load. That load is reached quicker with a smaller turbine housing as found on the stock Super Duty's, due to the higher exhaust backpressure creating a larger imbalance between the turbine and compressor side. With the van turbo, you have less backpressure, and less thrust load at higher boost levels.

I saved this explanation from when Pocket posted it on FTE a while back.....Thanks again Curtis!

Here is a link to a previous thread about the van turbo - It is a gret mod for the $ and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14955

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
Beans Diesel Performance sells the the Van Turbo adapter flange, connect the turbo to the exhaust and removes the EBPV.

Link to Beans Diesel Performance - turbo

You can either modify the existing turbo pedestal or buy the Non-EBPV turbo pedestal.

Here is a pic of the stock pedestal.

Here is the Non-EBPV pedestal

·
Getting Faster...
150 Posts
Van turbo would do the job for you. I have the ATS, but I'm running the pizz out of it, too. I'm making 35psi and ~450/1000 with mine. It will live a long life at 400ish, and you can get into one for $400-$500, unless you throw an ATS on it. I'm into mine for $900, but sold my stocker to get some back...

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Id just rebuild it maybe throw a ww and turbomaster wastegate on it both from diesel site.
Itp has a rebuild kit prob beans too. If not maybe rons turbo service.
Also there was a ww and or ats housing in the classified under engine or performance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts