Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone is running schaeffers all trans and what you think of it. I have been running their 5w40 9000 for almost 5 thousand miles and love it so far. Also use their winter fuel treatment. I used to run rottella 15w40 with lucus syn additive and my performance would always drop badly around 4k and would get hard to start around 4500. I'm a believer in their oil but haven't tried the atf. My tranny has 'morning sickness' and our rep said it would take care of it?? Thoughts?

·
Registered
920 Posts
BTS uses it so it doesn't suck. I have had it in my transfer case and trans for 20K miles and everything works the way it should.:D:

·
ARMY bound
6,990 Posts
I've been using it in my BTS since I got it a few years ago. No complaints other than it's not easily available from Napa or any store I know of. I just buy 5 gallon jugs from BTS for $150+shipping.

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
There might be a Schaeffer's sales rep in your area, PM me your zip code if you like and I will check - or you can call the 1-800 # on Schaeffer's website and ask for the closest sales rep to your area. A 5 gallon container of #204SAT syn trans fluid runs about $115 prior to taxes & shipping from a sales rep.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh thanks for the info but I already have a rep that visits our store like twice a month! I really was just wanting some first hand knowledge/input about the all-trans as I had just changed all my fluids and a I mean all, before we started dealing with Schaeffers. Since it cost me along the lines of $280 to do everything and it hasn't even been 10k I wondered if it was that much better. I'm using the oil and love it so far. I wished I had had their stuff for all my boxes.

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
I wouldn't flush out the trans fluid if it only has 10K on it. I would wait untill at least 30K. The 204SAT is a great product but it's no magic fluid or cure all.

·
"Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,054 Posts
shaeffers doesn't make anything bad so it will definently be better then whats in it now but I would wait if it was me and change it at 50k.I just started running there 7000 in the motor and with only 3k on my new tranny,I'm waiting awhile to change it.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
If your trans is slipping, I wouldn't waste Schaeffers on it. As was already said, it's not a cure all.

Dave

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
never ran ther trans fluid but i love there oil. i get it from a local fuel suplier that isnt on scheaffers website so call up some fuel dealers in your area and see if they sell it.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My tranny doesn't slip it is fine I just wanted to see if it was worth the dumping out practically new fluid for the shaeffers

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
just wait till the fluid needs changed. no since in spending the money to change it early.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
My tranny doesn't slip it is fine I just wanted to see if it was worth the dumping out practically new fluid for the shaeffers
I wouldn't do it, just change it when it's due. Describe this "morning sickness" to me though.

Dave

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I run the all trans and love it. Works great.
How old is you tranny fluid? How does it look and smell on the dipstick? What symptoms are you having? Morning sickness huh? Interesting term does that infer that you are only having issues when its cold like at start up in the morning? If the currnetly fluid is good and you have issues I would want to find the root cause rather than try to cover it up with a lube change as it sounds like you are being encouraged to do.

If you do make the switch which personally I am for as its a superior product ( not for the "morning sickness") I would strongly recommended picking up a trans external filter like the Baldwin setup sold by Bob Riley @ Diesel Site. While you are at it if your PS pump runs tranny fluid why not drain it and replace it with Schaeffers as well. Just he draining and fluid replacement many times makes them run much better as they are generally neglected.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input. The tranny fluid is in great condition as I juat changed it. I'm also planning on a major rebuild soon to help with the power increases and heavy loads. I love the schaeffers all trans and have had great luck with it in other vehicals and especially in ps systems! Oh ya I'm a mechanic so my stuff gets pretty well taken car of:ford:

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I am with SmokyRed on this then; it would be a complete waste given fresh fluid is already there. But for the next change I woudl do a complete flush. But I woudl add that filter when ever you have a chance. Honestly, even taking away the fine particle filtering they do they are well worth it IMO by saving everything downstream given a catastrophic failure of parts upstream. IMO all fluid systems should have good filtering. One many forget about is the power steering.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great point and I do plan on doing all the above. Powersteering is probably the most neglected system on a vehical that and brake fluid followed by the boxes and coolant. But hey that's job security right;)

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Maybe for people on repair side like you. LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts