Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious at what mileage those of you running Schaeffers 7000 are changing your oil?

I've been running Chevron Delo for years, and I could always hear a difference in the way the truck sounded right around 3000 miles. I'm running Schaeffers 7000 for the first time, I just turned 3000 miles, and the truck is still running like it's on fresh oil.

I did a search, and some people are saying that they are changing their Schaeffers at 6000 or more miles. That seems like a lot.

So...any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

· Registered
4,865 Posts
If you are not doing any UOA then you should change your oil every 5K. BTW you are right on with the fact that these HEUI Engines tell you when your oil is past due for an oil change. Schaeffers 7000 is a great oil that has one of the best additive packages. At 5K you will be impressed with the oil when you drain it.

· Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. 5000 miles sounds reasonable.

I'm sure I'll hear it if it needs a change sooner.

Thanks!

· Non Helpful Member
818 Posts
I go 5000 I have done a few uoa and I could go longer but thats where I feal safe been doing that for over 150k on 3 psd. It's good oil I have a tractor with well over 10k hr on it and it's never been open up.

I know what you mean by how the truck runs I could tell also with delo. I had to go back to delo last year for one oil change and I shure seen a diference in the cold weather starting.

· Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I go 5000 I have done a few uoa and I could go longer but thats where I feal safe been doing that for over 150k on 3 psd. It's good oil I have a tractor with well over 10k hr on it and it's never been open up.

I know what you mean by how the truck runs I could tell also with delo. I had to go back to delo last year for one oil change and I shure seen a diference in the cold weather starting.
Nick - Thanks for the info! If 5000 miles is working for you, then I feel very comfortable going that route.

Thanks Again!

· "Smoke A Lil Smoke"
2,057 Posts
I plan to go 5k with mine

· Registered
4,865 Posts
With our systems IMO its much better to have the highest quality oil that you are will or can afford changes at reason intervals than trying to get every last bit of life out of the oil. We have soft metals in out HPOP pumps and injectors. They need clean oil.

IMO if you really want longevity you should be running a bypass system. Most engine wear based on typical tolerance and clearances between parts comes from 2-22 micron size partials and the typical full flow filters usually only do well on 30-40 mic. These smaller partials are small enough to fit between mated parts and cause wear. Bypass filters get down below 3 mics some below 2.

Centrifuges are awesome and great for really large engines but material membrane type filters still can offer superior filters particle size. Centrifuges IMO main focus is soot.

I guess the best setup would be a bypass centrifuge that then ran into a bypass membrane /paper filter then back. This would greatly extend the bypass filters life cycles by eliminating large % of soot by the centrifuge and micron level particles would be caught by the standard bypass.

For those that have the resources and want to to do this. then if you are going to this level you might as well as a pre-luber/pre-oiler to fully pressurize/lubricate before starts to eliminate all dry start wear.

· Registered
4,865 Posts
But you are also running twins which beats the crap out of the oil. Literally twice as much. Twins are the only thing that shears worse then a hard driven 6.0.

· Freedom is not free
888 Posts
I'm running about 9,000 between oil changes with oil analysis and the Oilguard Bypass System. About 1/2 the miles are pulling the 5'er. Have been running the 7000 for about 80K now. Without an oil analysis I would keep it around the 5K mark IMO.

Here is a copy of my last UOA report - all looks good.

· Registered
1 Posts
I know a Schaeffer oil rep and they state that it’s best to send off a free oil sample to know exactly when you need to change your oil. He has a 5.9 Cummins and only has to change his every 20k miles/once a year. He doesn’t haul 5th wheels or anything like that but his dually is loaded down with tools and he does tow an enclosed trailer very often. I can honestly say my oil once switching to schaeffer is cleaner at 20k miles than Mobil1 was at 5k.... For what it’s worth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.