Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for suitable scan equipment for the obs 7.3's? Is it possible to do an injector buzz test/cyl cut out test on these? I've been getting mixed info in various places. Everything in my arsenal is cheaper/outdated stuff that is limited to reading/ clearing codes, and was possibly looking to upgrade.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forscan (free software) on a laptop with an USB to OBDII cable
I'm new to this computer game, if I were to obtain a laptop, and download forscan, would it need an internet connection while scanning/ testing? Or can it be used as a stand alone unit once downloaded? I like the snap on stuff, but my wallet is not a big fan.

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
Once it’s downloaded. You don’t need internet. Google “superduty diagnosis on the cheap” there is a thread on fte and powerstroke.org on how to use it.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm gonna try the forscan stuff, has anyone had any negative side effects of using it?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How could there be any "side effect" from it?
Good question. That's kinda what I'm asking, I've had scan tools shut stuff off before, nothing too serious there, could it fry a PCM? Or unexpectedly change settings? ( Not a big concern on an obs) Has anyone experienced problems with a virus from downloading it in the first place? Like I said, I'm pretty new to this.

·
sooty
409 Posts
Good question. That's kinda what I'm asking, I've had scan tools shut stuff off before, nothing too serious there, could it fry a PCM? Or unexpectedly change settings? ( Not a big concern on an obs) Has anyone experienced problems with a virus from downloading it in the first place? Like I said, I'm pretty new to this.

Ummm no. Legit company. How can it fry a pcm when it doesn't even have the capability to flash one!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dunno. How does a microwave fry a cell phone?
But good point on the won't flash/ why would it fry thing.

·
7,985 Posts
the only negative i have found with forscan is there is no "how to use".
you are pretty much on your own trying to figure out how to use it.
which is not a big deal, unless you are "computer challenged"

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hate loose ends and dead end threads, so in conclusion, I was able to get my hands on an old laptop with Windows 7. Sweet talked a friend into ordering a usb-obd2 cable, downloaded forscan, downloaded driver for cable, and was able to run a buzz test. I consider myself "computer challenged", so this took some time, and frustration, but was not bad.

Thanks to you guys for your input!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts