Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I got the wool pulled over my eyes today.

I've got a '97 f-250 ECLB that has loads of problems. The mechanic offered me a set of Super Duty axles, assuring me that the front was a D60, $200 apiece... sounds like a good deal to me. He loaded them in the back of the truck and I went on my merry way. Well, I got home tonight and checked the BOM tag on the front axle. 610892-1... it's a D50.

My question is this: If I'm setting this truck up with a PMF RSK, SD springs front and rear, does it matter if the front axle is a D50 or D60? Worst case scenario, I put a plow on this truck. If I continue with the swap (assuming all of the parts I've picked out will still work), will the axle hold up despite the pinion, splines, rings, etc. flaws? Or do i backpedal and try to get the mechanic to take them back?

Thanks in advance.

·
7,971 Posts
use them. i have never had any problems at all with D-50's, and had 20 trucks with over 300,000 miles on them at the other company.

·
Super Moderator
8,057 Posts
You will have no issues with the 50. At $200 you got them for a song.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
dana 50 has unit bearings the dana 60 has old style wheel bearings
I am pretty sure the Dana 50 brakes are bigger and better
Doesn't the dana 50 have a better turning radius also?

up to 97 Dana 60
99+ dana 50

Either axle will work and usually you can only buy the knuckles for $200......................................... that front dana 50 is worth $600-1200 any day of the week
Most people who own superdities think it is a dana 60, because it just makes life easier

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most people who own superdities think it is a dana 60, because it just makes life easier
It was tempting to not check the tag, I will say.

I'm looking for a conversion ujoint to go from the OBS driveshaft to the SD yoke. Anyone know off hand what size I need? The SD axle is from early 2000.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did some measurements, and got a 1350 pinion yoke on the SD side and a 1330 slip yoke on the OBS side. Can anyone corroborate?

·
Super Moderator
8,057 Posts
There is actually a dana 60 from a superduty. They are just a little stronger. I dont know about the yokes sorry. But of it's a 1350 and a 1330 why no just run a conversion u joint. The biggest issue I've seen people doing this is the frame mounted track bar. Good luck.

·
7,971 Posts
There is actually a dana 60 from a superduty. They are just a little stronger. I dont know about the yokes sorry. But of it's a 1350 and a 1330 why no just run a conversion u joint. The biggest issue I've seen people doing this is the frame mounted track bar. Good luck.
yup. i believe it was 02 or 03 when they dropped the 50 and went to the 60 in all superdutys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But of it's a 1350 and a 1330 why no just run a conversion u joint. The biggest issue I've seen people doing this is the frame mounted track bar. Good luck.
Thanks. I'm planning on going with a conversion u joint, I just wanted to make sure I got the right sizes for the yokes. As far as the track bar goes, I am welding a bracket on to the top of the axle and one on the frame flush behind the driver's side shock mount. I'm not sure how the length works out, but I'm sure some adjustable track bar will fit the bill.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
zone makes a nice adjustable track bar and its cheap!! I was happy with it

·
Registered
676 Posts
Don't forget the wheel lug pattern is different between the OBS and superduty so you need the correct rims.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts