Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read all about the PS dying on people for no reason at all. They can be sitting idling or running down the highway and suddenly without warning the engine shuts off. Most of the discussions I've found becomes a CRANK NO START scenario. Then everyone tells about the CMP (or is it the CPS) sensor going bad or the ICP sensor or the IPR valve. Usually one of the three gets in the mix.
My scenario is this.
I own a 99 7.3 with about 108K miles. In the past two years my truck has died on me while driving and usually about after only 20 mins of run time. It has happened at least 5 times in two years. Last week I changed the CMP sensor because my Actron CP9185 scan tool gave me P0344 and P0340 diag code. "Bad cam position sensor" Then I got a P1670 "Electronic Feedback signal not detected"
The difference in my scenario from others that I have read is my truck will always start right back up after it shuts down. Even after changing the CMP sensor last week after I let it idle for 15 mins it shut off. It still gave me the electronic feedback signal not detected. I've read where that is associated with the IDM but it should not cause an engine to shut off (at least that's what I've read).
My scanner is not high dollar and it only gives general diagnostics I realize that. But is there a way to test these sensors without a high dollar engine analyzer? I'm an electrician by trade and understand everything about voltages, hertz signals, ohms resistence etc etc etc. I just don't know how to check each of the components listed here. What can I do?
Thanks in advance and when/if I get to the bottom of this problem I will post the answer. I hate leaving everyone hanging.

·
PSN intsigator
7,340 Posts
Symptoms kinda also sound like a bad ipr. As far as diagnosis tools look at forscan on the cheap. Its a download from Apple or the playstore and an adapter you can get off of Amazon. ELM 327 iirc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Symptoms kinda also sound like a bad ipr. As far as diagnosis tools look at forscan on the cheap. Its a download from Apple or the playstore and an adapter you can get off of Amazon. ELM 327 iirc
I remember watching a video from DieselTechRon and he was showing how to download a phone app that would see real live data. ELM 327 iirc what does the iirc stand for?

·
PSN intsigator
7,340 Posts
I remember watching a video from DieselTechRon and he was showing how to download a phone app that would see real live data. ELM 327 iirc what does the iirc stand for?
If I Recall Correctly

·
PSN intsigator
7,340 Posts
use this with the forscan app.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I Recall Correctly
Ha! and I thought that had something to do with the App or the device you were talking about. Talk about a fruedian slip. I'm all the time having to ask people what do abbreviations mean. LOL

·
PSN intsigator
7,340 Posts
Lite is what I use

Reactions: Bugman

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay. I wasn't sure if there was more or not. I'll order the App today. I've got the order in at Amazon for both the OBDLink MX and the OBDLink EX. I know I may not need the EX but it does connect to a laptop rather than a phone through usb. Not sure if I'll really need it but Amazon said people buy both of these often at the same time.
I may not reply to this post for a few days or weeks till I get to the bottom of my problem but I am on the way.

·
PSN intsigator
7,340 Posts
If your laptop has Bluetooth then it will. The phone is way easier to use. It sometimes takes me a few tries to get them connected together but it works great

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
There is a Forscan forum that you can look at. Most of the members are tech geeks and like to badmouth new people telling them that the information is there and to go look for it. So take that into consideration when and if you ask a question there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a Forscan forum that you can look at. Most of the members are tech geeks and like to badmouth new people telling them that the information is there and to go look for it. So take that into consideration when and if you ask a question there.

I'll take the time to check it out this weekend. Also I'll keep it in mind how they feel about newbies trying to figure out their techno lingo. I'm not a rocket scientist but I sure do pride myself on thinking if someone was smart enough to make something I can be smart enough to fix it when it breaks down.
BTW do you or heavydoc know anything about AutoIgenuity? I realize it is expensive but I thought I'd ask real people and not just some salesman.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
I was thinking about AE before ForScan got popular.

If I was a fulltime mechanic on these trucks I think that I would go with AE and a dedicated laptop for it.

One nice thing about ForScan is that you can throw a OBDII adapter into the glove box and if you have any troubles you can look at them with your phone. If you are running AE you need the laptop that it is loaded on

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Reactions: joehelf

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I bought the OBDLink M+ from Amazon and got it in just 4 days.
I went out to my 99 PS 7.3 and was able to get the adapter to communicate with my iPhone. I was able to put in the VIN and the iPhone identified my truck.
But that was all it would do. I went to the add-on diagnostic page because it said this vehicle has add-on diagnostics that can be downloaded for $9.99. That didn't bother me.
What did bother me was when I clicked the "purchase" option I got a message saying these add-on diagnostics were no longer for sale!?!. What?
That's why I bought this scanner adapter to diagnose my truck.
I was using the scan software the OBDLink had me download for their device. I did not try FORScan. Should I have tried it?
Have any of you heard of this?

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
Torque pro it is free.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Torque pro it is free.
So I will get the Torque pro.
So a company sells their adapter and touts it's the best one on the market and yet you need to also download other apps from other developers in order to get the results a person is looking for?
I don't get it. Why not get it all in one package?

·
PSN intsigator
7,340 Posts
I don't have that issue with forscan. Never did anything with the add ons either

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
I have never had any luck with the obdlink "scanner".
All I have ever used it for was connecting the truck to torque pro.
I have another adapter I use with forscan on the laptop because I could never get forscan to connect with the obdlink.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Tom,

Which OBDLink adapter are you using? I haven't had connection problems with either the OBDLink SX or the newer EX units. The driver for usb to serial is a bit touchy..

Reactions: joehelf

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
obdlinkmx bluetooth.. i have had it for 3-4 years now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts