Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A forged rod thread got me thinking about safer tunes. Guys always talk about the most power out of such n such tunes etc.

Other than stock who has the safest tunes?

My idea of "safe" performance tune would be:

1) Doesnt screw with the EOT tables
2) Doesnt advance or retard timing much
3) Addresses the transmission as part of the tune.
4)Last but not least, has the least # of motors grenade. Percentage wise (Kinda like a credit score) :eek:

All opinions are welcome, speak freely.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
If you want safe, stay with what the factory put on there. Many of our trucks have been running for MANY miles with good tunes frome any of our sponsors. But if you want absolutely safe, stay stock and slow.

·
<< wasted fuel >>
1,566 Posts
in not to keen on the tuning but it is my opnion that whoever may be doing your tuning can be as conservitive as you would want or vise versa.

a good tune could squzze some extra power out of it and stiil be safe enough for your use.

as andy said, if you want safe stick with the factory tuning.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats so sad that we cant have a margin of safety with a tuner, I am running stock tuning for now and havent touched my tuner with all this talk of star patterns , timing, windowed blocks etc. Theres must be a better option.

To me tuning is like cryogenic treating of parts, you can ask a tuner for what you want but have no real way of knowing if it was indeed done.

·
<< wasted fuel >>
1,566 Posts
call up your tuner of choice and tell him you do not want the chip as hot as it can be tuned. tell him you would like a little more but not wide open.

if you have a chip or tuner that one of the sponser's can program then by all means send it out tomorrow if your funds allow. if you tell them to be really conservitive then im shure they will follow your wish'es and you will be perfectly safe unless there is underlying problems.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can another tuner program my DP?

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
No DP is the only one that can tune a DP chip.

In response to your other questions I have complete confidence in my tuner.

On a stock injected truck most custom tunes are going to be safe. When you start looking at larger injectors is where some of them get sketchy. Don't get me wrong you can damage your engine with out proper tuning and stock injectors but it is not very common. Just my .02

·
2010 BOB Points Runner up
2,300 Posts
Banks is the safest aftermarket chip you can get for one. . .

-Michael

·
Heath
441 Posts
Banks is the safest aftermarket chip you can get for one. . .

-Michael

Yeah but it doesn't feel much different than stock!! My Truck came with the almighty "ower pack". Now I will say banks intercooler and piping is very clean and looks like it was stock. The 1.0 spools nice for better throttle. But when I pulled the chip and then ran the truck stock, the difference was slight. And for the price of Banks Golden stuff---NOT WORTH IT!!!!

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
The safest tuner is the tuner you feel the best about. Everyone drives different and every trucks act different with different tunes. The good thing about the TS chips you can try em all until you find one you and your truck likes the best.

For me I like Matt at Gearhead. His tunes fit my needs and the truck loves em. But there are lots of other great safe tuners out there. Swamps has some of the highest HP stock blocks living. Bill at PHP has tuned THOUSANDS of trucks that are still on the road with no issues.

Any of the guys here are good and will set you up with good powerful and safe tunes.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Personally I like beans diesel performance.
Johnathan has a great safty record, cust service, and even better numbers.
I started out with a ts chip and while all tunes ran great tranny shifting was a lil rough in one setting.

There is a project on this very q that has been done before from itp, and a new one comming out on php..

The results from the first one showed dp was the highest across the board.
Most power, most chips sold but most blown blocks . Now if the data was good enough maybe better conclusions could be drawn. This is where php's test comes in.
Also data includes guys like lott, dockboy, and a few others going for max power not daily drivers, which also increses risk.

But imho tuners should be able to tune a 4to500 hp forged rod truck without missing rods.
Which a few trucks blew at in the past. Now have the tunes been updated, was it parts failure, drivers abuse. Just to many variables to point fingers.

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
I agree with up top its your choice. I have used 3 different tuners and I liked the all. TS was rough on the shifts but still good tunes. Its all in the truck and the driver. I am planning on trying a few others here coming up soon. I have 2 chips now and one is getting burned soon. Its all your choice and what you want and like.

·
Supercharged
1,218 Posts
Thats so sad that we cant have a margin of safety with a tuner, I am running stock tuning for now and havent touched my tuner with all this talk of star patterns , timing, windowed blocks etc. Theres must be a better option.

To me tuning is like cryogenic treating of parts, you can ask a tuner for what you want but have no real way of knowing if it was indeed done.
Just last weekend I saw a piston out of a motor that was completely stock, never once had a tuner on it, with a nice star pattern way out of the piston bowls. :doh:

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
maybe a tune is the best thing for a truck then rockrunner.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Just last weekend I saw a piston out of a motor that was completely stock, never once had a tuner on it, with a nice star pattern way out of the piston bowls. :doh:
scary...

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
From my research on this there is a LOT of different things that can make a stock truck do this.

Someone could have started it cold and ran the piss out of it and never letting the EOT warm up. Or the ICP or IPR could have been messed up. LOTS of different variables.

·
Caption This
4,261 Posts
But when I pulled the chip and then ran the truck stock, the difference was slight.
That's the way they intended it to be. The throttle response is almost like stock. But when pulling a load up a hill there is a lot of difference. That's one of the things I like about their chips.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.