Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Guilty on all counts
339 Posts
I have a superchips flashpaq on my 2000 f350 and a TS 6 pos on my 2000 Excursion and I much prefer the TS. The flashpaq has some cool diagnostic features but I have not been impressed with the performance, fuel economy, or shifting features like I have been with the TS. Many people on here have been raving about the Power Hungry Performance Hydra Chip, but I don't have any experience with it. I believe any of these tuners are safe for a 7.3. It depends how you drive it. I think power gains of 50 to 100 hp are not going to hurt a 7.3. Before I do a tuner though, I would definately do a cold air intake ( I like S&B) and a free flow exhaust. Those will keep your engine running cooler and happier! Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Same as above. I run the Hydra and love it but if your set on an off the shelf programmer, the superchips is probably the best bet.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
There is no such thing as a "SAFE" "Power Adder".

·
Registered
316 Posts
Get a Hydra from Matt w 6 tunes on it, then you'll still have 11 more spaces to add other tunes and compare. Yah see the Hydra's hold 17 tunes on them. The Tuner's are safe, it's the operator/Driver that needs to keep himself in check. Saying there is no safe tuner/Power adder is like saying that a Fork made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Safest tune ever = factory stock tune.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Get a Hydra from Matt w 6 tunes on it, then you'll still have 11 more spaces to add other tunes and compare. Yah see the Hydra's hold 17 tunes on them. The Tuner's are safe, it's the operator/Driver that needs to keep himself in check. Saying there is no safe tuner/Power adder is like saying that a Fork made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
The fork didn't alter any of Rosie's brain settings from birth. The food did. Then she couldn't stop. Same will happen with a tuner after it alters factory settings which is fun but not safe.

·
Registered
316 Posts
BS, its about being responsible for your actions. PERIOD! It doesn't take any kind of chip of aftermarket anything to go out and blow up your motor or tranny on a completely stock truck. Nice try though.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
BS, its about being responsible for your actions. PERIOD!
Exactly, because your the one that changed the factory settings.

Any idiot can damage a stock vehicle, true.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Exactly, because your the one that changed the factory settings.

Any idiot can damage a stock vehicle, true.
QUOTE=kilapapipa;4146642]Adding power is a gamble, there is no way around it. It depends on how you drive it. I am on my 2nd stock tranny since my engine rebuild. I haven't gotten around to getting a BTS yet. I just bought a used tranny and swapped it myself. I drive a lot different now LOL.[/QUOTE]

This is one of your own messages from another thread where you've gone thru 2 stock tranny's:poke:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wonder how many guys are running larger tires without changing their gearing, then beating this guy up over a tune.

I've got an edge CS. I trust it, and love it. Of course I can monitor anything I want, including EGTs rather than guessing whether my truck is about to blow up. It's also got programmable alerts which might be handy if the wife is driving. Just my two cents.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
QUOTE=kilapapipa;4146642]Adding power is a gamble, there is no way around it. It depends on how you drive it. I am on my 2nd stock tranny since my engine rebuild. I haven't gotten around to getting a BTS yet. I just bought a used tranny and swapped it myself. I drive a lot different now LOL.

This is one of your own messages from another thread where you've gone thru 2 stock tranny's:poke:
Yes, because I changed the factory settings on the motor just a little bit, LOL. I have also said it is "fun" but not "SAFE". There is still no such thing as a safe power adder. I don't know how many guys come on here wanting to add power and keep reliability. This is impossible. I am not telling anyone not to do it, but quit thinking it is safe.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes, because I changed the factory settings on the motor just a little bit, LOL. I have also said it is "fun" but not "SAFE". There is still no such thing as a safe power adder. I don't know how many guys come on here wanting to add power and keep reliability. This is impossible. I am not telling anyone not to do it, but quit thinking it is safe.
This is a post from one of the Vendors for PSN,
* Customer's Question; Do you offer a "decel" or "exhaust brake" calibration?
Quote: "Simply put, no, we don't because it goes against our business philosophy which, in part, is to provide safe, reliable products to our customers".
I know the tuner, He's one of the Sponsors and I know he stands behind his work and his word. He's also one of the best Tuners for our trucks out there. I believe him to provide a safe product to his customers.
DTS Diesel Tuning box and Petrol benzine tuningbox No1, chiptuning from the experts - DTS diesel and petrol chip tuning box
Every tuningbox supplied by DTS Chiptuning, whether diesel or petrol, is programmed with engine specific parameters. Unlike some generic units which use a linear program, or analogue manipulation, each DTS software program is designed for your exact engine. Parameters have been developed to ensure a safe and reliable tuning solution.
Power Hungry Performance PHP specializes in performance products for the 7.3L, 6.0L and 6.4L PSD. We offer programmers, chips, live tuning, FICM repgramming, and tuning software to DIY. Our goal at Power Hungry Performance is simple: Provide safe, dependable, high-quality perf 6 STL Diesel Performance Parts.

Facts about Diesel Tuning Boxes

Q: Will this damage my engine, are they safe?
A: All our diesel tuning box systems are completely safe and will not damage an engine in any way. We have been tuning diesel vehicles for many years and have extensive knowledge on what settings each system needs for the specific vehicle it's being installed on. All of your vehicle's existing safety features are always in full control of your engine. None of our systems override or alter your vehicle's settings at any time.
You need to call these people and let them know that there's no such thing as safe tuning. Have at it....Anyhow, I think most of us here understand what the OP was asking. It didn't have anything to do with a smart ass response either.
Even more so when it comes to newbies. Why is it that some guys just have to act superior and all knowing and give an asinine response. You've done that. I understand what he was asking, and when he calls and orders a chip or programmer they will also let him know what he needs or doesn't need based on his info. Some of us are here to watch read and learn, and some have vast knowledge of these trucks to share. I'm here to read, learn, help and occasionally get help as well. But I'm done here. Won't waste anymore time here.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
I guess it is safe then. You have proven it. I stand corrected and I apologize for my ignorance.

Power UP everyone and enjoy. It is guaranteed you won't have single problem from it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
LMAO. People have been running tuners for years w out problems. Like everyone has said several times above... Get gauges and monitor whats going on. Get a tuner from a reputable company. Stay away from DP I hear they are rough on engines. Some people have good luck w them. Ive ran Edge Attitude, Tony Wildman, TS tunes, and now Im running Bills from PHP. They all have their pros and cons but overall I must say the Hydra and Bills tunes are legit. If you dont have forged rods be nice. If you want your stock turbo to last be nice. If you want your stock trans to last be nice. Its all up to how far do you want to go to be able to add loads of power and run the crap out of your truck with it still being dependable.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
LMAO. People have been running tuners for years w out problems. Like everyone has said several times above... Get gauges and monitor whats going on. Get a tuner from a reputable company. Stay away from DP I hear they are rough on engines. Some people have good luck w them. Ive ran Edge Attitude, Tony Wildman, TS tunes, and now Im running Bills from PHP. They all have their pros and cons but overall I must say the Hydra and Bills tunes are legit. If you dont have forged rods be nice. If you want your stock turbo to last be nice. If you want your stock trans to last be nice. Its all up to how far do you want to go to be able to add loads of power and run the crap out of your truck with it still being dependable.
DP has a good reputation in some circles. Maybe they blew my engine up, dammit, I knew it. EDGE sure doesn't have a good rep from what I have read over the last 7 years.

Wait a minute, you said, "People have been running tuners for years w out problems". I thought they were all SAFE. All except for DP?

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
An inexpensive flash tunner like supeerchips and edge will eventually blow your tranny..not the engine. They will also generate crappy milage and extra heat compaired to a chip.

If you think that just a tune wont grenade a stock truck your dead wrong.
fuel seven def got a few as did a few simple econo 80 tunes..on certain unluck trucks
with and without forged rods.

Now modern tunes have come leaps and bounds and it is hard to find many rod sliggers but i would definatly not say nice try to that. There are dozens of stock tuned engines in tbe boneyard to back that up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
An inexpensive flash tunner like supeerchips and edge will eventually blow your tranny..not the engine. They will also generate crappy milage and extra heat compaired to a chip.

If you think that just a tune wont grenade a stock truck your dead wrong.
fuel seven def got a few as did a few simple econo 80 tunes..on certain unluck trucks
with and without forged rods.

Now modern tunes have come leaps and bounds and it is hard to find many rod sliggers but i would definatly not say nice try to that. There are dozens of stock tuned engines in tbe boneyard to back that up.
I ran fuel7 for about 2 years solid. lol. Your right. They all give your engine more fuel and timing increased stress and can cause catastrophic failure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts