Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried using search but after looking through many different threads I couldn't come up with a straight answer. I have an 02 so I probably don't have forged rods. What's a safe hp? I want the most out of my truck but I really don't wanna get that deep into the motor to replace rods. And I read all these different threads talking about injectors, hpop, turbo, and so on. But with my limitations, what should be my next step? I know I'm going to have to do something with my turbo soon because its already chirping at me. Also, I'm at 170,000 miles, should I take any precautionswith my trans? I'm not having any issues with it, but the last thing I want is a grenade to go off under my truck. Any advice would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
its really the rpm thats going to kill rods in p.m.r. motor or sudden rpm increase like using nitrous(depending on how its injected)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Any time you go to increase your power, you take a chance. That said, there are some things you can do that will help. Simple intake mod and exhaust mods are recommended right off the top. While you won't see much in performance gains, if any at all, it does set you up for a chip that will take advantage of those. There are mild tunes that you can do that will liven up that engine. There are plenty of chips offered for our trucks. Swamps, PHP, DP Tuner, TW, and others. Do some research on these before you make a decision. A chip doesn't mean you have to have an extra 150hp that will blow all kinds of smoke. These companies make all kinds of tunes, some of which will work for what you are looking for.

·
Paul
160 Posts
It sounds like you want practical power you can use. That's my goal as well, so here is what I would do. Keep in mind this is just my opinion.

If your current tunes are not setting the SES light on a full throttle run, I would not worry about your HPOP. If they are, you want to ubgrade your pump. The turbo surge needs to be taken care of or you will be shopping for a new turbo soon. IMO this is the best solution. Riffraff Diesel: USA Ported Compressor Housing I would then look into Stage 1 injectors w/tunes. Matt can reburn your chip to run them. With the extra fuel you may want more air so a 38r or QSSB turbo might be in order.
For your trans you want a shift kit like the TranGo Tugger for around $100 or a valve body from John Woods or BTS for around $250. With those miles, IMO the stock trans is on borrowed time. That's why I'm saving for a BTS now.

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I do injectors, I should get a turbo as well? Would there be a benefit to just getting a turbo for now and injectors later down the road? I figure if I'm gunna want to get a turbo later I might as well get it now to fix the surge problem. But if I do injectors, wouldn't I need a hpop? As far as my trans, what's the difference between a shift kit and a valve body?
Sorry, I know these are probably dumb questions, but I'm learning just like everyone else had to at one time.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If I do injectors, I should get a turbo as well? Would there be a benefit to just getting a turbo for now and injectors later down the road? I figure if I'm gunna want to get a turbo later I might as well get it now to fix the surge problem. But if I do injectors, wouldn't I need a hpop? As far as my trans, what's the difference between a shift kit and a valve body?
Sorry, I know these are probably dumb questions, but I'm learning just like everyone else had to at one time.
Check this link out.
Swamp's Webstore - 7.3L Fuel Injectors

If you click on the injector, they tell you what you need. There's a lot you can do with the factory HPOP and stock turbo. They might have someone close to you that can do the install for you too. Go to their home page and look up distributors if you're interested.

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, thanks for the link.
Was looking at the 175/146. Sound good for what I'm looking for. Anyone running these? I'd like to hear what you guys think of them.
Also, it says I can run the stock hpop and turbo which is a plus, but if I go as far as doing those injectors, would I benefit from having a better turbo? Or with that setup would just doing the compressor housing be enough?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the link.
Was looking at the 175/146. Sound good for what I'm looking for. Anyone running these? I'd like to hear what you guys think of them.
Also, it says I can run the stock hpop and turbo which is a plus, but if I go as far as doing those injectors, would I benefit from having a better turbo? Or with that setup would just doing the compressor housing be enough?
You will always benefit from a better turbo. I'm looking at getting the 200/30% injectors. There is a local guy that is a Swamps dealer about 15 miles from me. He told me that with the right tuning, these will do great with the stock turbo, and they are designed to run off the stock HPOP, just as the 175/146 injectors are. Later on, if you want to go with a bigger turbo, and such, you already have a set of injectors that will accommodate the extras. The 200's are single shots, so my truck will need special tuning to run them, but that is included in the price according to my neighbor. I've already got a swamps chip in my truck. He also told me the mileage gains advertised with the 175's also applies to the 200's. There is a price difference in them, so you also need to consider that too. Did you check out their dealer list and see if anyone is in your area?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a set of Baby Swamps in my work truck. I've had them for over 100,000 miles. They were a huge power gain, and my mileage did not drop at all. My work truck is an F-Super Duty with 4:56 gears, and the E4OD tranny.

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was also looking at the 200's, I just don't know if its worth the extra $$. Haven't looked to see if there's a dealer near here yet. I need to either fix or replace my turbo first. And it sound to me that replacing it would be the better option. I was looking at the gt38r, I've been reading that a lot of guys go with that one. I would imagine the install would be rather easy. Any downfall's to this turbo? Also, would I need to reburn my chip if I just replace my turbo?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was also looking at the 200's, I just don't know if its worth the extra $$. Haven't looked to see if there's a dealer near here yet. I need to either fix or replace my turbo first. And it sound to me that replacing it would be the better option. I was looking at the gt38r, I've been reading that a lot of guys go with that one. I would imagine the install would be rather easy. Any downfall's to this turbo? Also, would I need to reburn my chip if I just replace my turbo?

I'm only running stock turbos on my trucks, so I can't speak from personal experience about the 38r, but I do know it's a common upgrade for a lot of folks. As for a reburn for a turbo, I've never heard of anyone doing that, so I would say no.

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome. Thanks for the advise. Looks like I'll be getting a turbo soon. Then injectors.

·
Paul
160 Posts
ac's, 38r, srp1 or t-500, regulated return, bts valve body, 6.0 cooler would make a really nice 400 horse set up
That's almost exactly where I'm going with my truck. Like I said before, practical power. I'm not looking to go racing.

The 38r is an excellent choice for a drop-in turbo. You can get different exhaust housings for it to taylor it to your needs. The only down side is, it is not the most efficient available. To get any better however, you are no longer looking at a drop-in unit. In other words, you would be looking at something that needs a custom mount and the cost starts going up really fast. If there is a better drop-in, I have not heard of it.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I would keep it 400 or less, some stock pmrs go out others ....very very few have been closer to five hundred. Tunes have come a long way, but still a gamble.
High torque down low in the rpm is rough, as is high back pressure.
But if you dont mid some whistle a gt38r will drop in

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can't rebuild a 38r, right? Wouldn't that be a problem down the road? Would upgrading the stock turbo, like wheel and compressor housing, be better? Or is the 38r just that much better?

·
Paul
160 Posts
If you want a rebuildable drop-in upgrade, go with a van turbo.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
A gt38r will add a reduction in egts and take more abuse then a pimped stocker.
, according to one guy they are rebuildable for cheap if you know the right part number, contact etc.

That discussion surprisingly went away quietly. As they can be rebuilt quckly with a full cartridge for 1000+, but he was talking 400

1 - 20 of 21 Posts