Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my stage twos when im really racing i can hit 1250 by 75-80mph what is a safe number to back out of it as soon as i see it? It wasnt to big of a problem until it starting being 90 plus degrees outside. Also why do i only see 25-30psi of boost with these large injectors? Tuning? or is my 7000ft of elevation the issue?

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
With my stage twos when im really racing i can hit 1250 by 75-80mph what is a safe number to back out of it as soon as i see it? It wasnt to big of a problem until it starting being 90 plus degrees outside. Also why do i only see 25-30psi of boost with these large injectors? Tuning? or is my 7000ft of elevation the issue?

1250 isnt bad, you can hit 1300 just dont hold it there for long. I hit 1300-1400 hauling heavy loads up 10% grades you just have to be careful not to toast the turbo by holding it there for too long. as far as boost yes the altitude is not in your favor but what are yo running for a turbo? I hit 24 under load with a stock charger up hills.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
could be a mixture, of the tuning and elevation, could also be boost leaks, check all your up-pipes to make sure they aren't leakin, i will leave my foot hung into my 6.0 till she gets to 1350 or just a lil over draggin a trailer and haven't had any issues yet

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1250 isnt bad, you can hit 1300 just dont hold it there for long. I hit 1300-1400 hauling heavy loads up 10% grades you just have to be careful not to toast the turbo by holding it there for too long. as far as boost yes the altitude is not in your favor but what are yo running for a turbo? I hit 24 under load with a stock charger up hills.
Running a stock charger and a IC set up just wierd that a buddy with stage ones and tonys tuning can peg his 35 psi gauge

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
Running a stock charger and a IC set up just wierd that a buddy with stage ones and tonys tuning can peg his 35 psi gauge
35 with a stock charger? MY ASS!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
Ya your buddy is full of chit! There is no way in hell a stock turbo is going to peg a 35 psi gauge and hold together. A 38r wouldnt even do that at the elevation. Tell your buddy to kick rocks

·
<---F350 DRIFTER
516 Posts
Personally I would not bo too afraid of hitting 1600* racing if you are talking 1/4 mile. My personal limit is 1300* for 1 minute while towing. My truck won't even hit 1600* ever but my old 6.0 could get to 1500+ by the end of the 1/4. The first place you will likely see egt damage on a stock engine is valve seats....at least that is the only place I have seen it. Everyone talks turbo but I have only seen pistons and valve seats damaged.....never my own..these were on guys trucks that pulled HEAVY loads for work. 1250* you can literaly hold all day long! Some will say different but I have held that kind of temps for all of my diesels and never a problem 1!!!! I live at high altitude and often tow over a very steep pass and see 1200+ the entire time if over 14K gross.

·
Registered
669 Posts
for some reason when you install an intercooler it lower's your max psi.

·
you want some of this?
2,922 Posts
Mine used to see 1600 all the time. Short bursts of course, but I used to tow heavy at 1500 or so for minutes at the time. Engine went 160,000 miles like that. Like ten minutes at the time. Even then when I tore it down it looked like a new engine. The stock turbo is still running on another truck. 1400 degrees, even 1500 for a short burst is not gonna hurt it. Most pullers, and racers go there every run. My headers would turn cherry red last year every pull. Guessing 2000 degrees or so.
Racing is different than towing up a mountain. Dont get me wrong, its not going to make it last longer. It most def WILL shorten the life of the engine, and turbo. But probably not noticably.

On the flip side, get some water injection on there, cools it off nicely, and makes a little power to boot. And should prolong the life of the parts.

But dont flip out over seeing 1400 degrees or so for a real short run down the track. Heck I dont see how ya have time to look at the gauge??!!

By the time I do a burnout, lock it in 4x4, get the nitrous armed and ready, and stage it, I dont look at anything but the tree.

·
you want some of this?
2,922 Posts
for some reason when you install an intercooler it lower's your max psi.
Has to do with some laws of temps and pressures and stuff.......LOL

Pressure will always decrease if the temp is lowered (all else constant)

Pressure will always increase if the temp is raised ( all else constant)

same with temp

If pressure goes up the temp will increase (all else constant)

If pressure decreases the temp will decrease (all else constant)

Kinda the reason air conditioning works, and why intake air temps go up a lot as boost increases. and why boost pressure drops a little as the intercooler lowers the temp of the air.

Someone smarter than me will know the laws and actual formulas for exact change rate.

·
Registered
207 Posts
its because as the air gets colder it condenses thats why pressure drops.
when i run down the track i see 1300 degrees but i have a friend with a 6.4l who sees 1800 degrees thats a little high in my eyes but i wouldnt be scared of 1500.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
35 with a stock charger? MY ASS!
:D I personally saw 45+psi on 3 seperate stock OBS turbos on my truck with stage II's, and I know of 2 other guys, Dieselfever being one of them, that saw similar numbers on stock chargers. We aren't talking about SD turbos here, we have a 1.15 exhaust housing stock. LOL

As to the OP's question: If I'm racing, I don't watch the EGT's, or I'd back out. I know I've seen well over 1600* sledpulling and accelerating to high speeds. When towing, I keep it under 1250* consistantly, and intermitantly will go above that for very brief periods.

Many pulling guys will see over 2000* when they're not allowed to run water. It's for such a short period of time, it doesn't hurt anything.

Dave

·
Registered
312 Posts
My buddy has stg1s in his obs with bigger nozzles with a stock turbo and can pull 45, with a intercooler. He destroyed one turbo so far in probably a year so far and he's on his second stock turbo now..

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
Egts when racing? Eh... i installed 2200 EGT gauges just to make sure that it was good and hot when racing.... buried them both every time I hooked to the sled...

That glow at 15 seconds in is not warm and fuzzy feelings.... thats ceramic coated headers.....

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Gauge when racing??? I look at it when I go to shut it off. I make sure its good and cool.

·
DAMN THATS HOT!
1,001 Posts
Ya your buddy is full of chit! There is no way in hell a stock turbo is going to peg a 35 psi gauge and hold together. A 38r wouldnt even do that at the elevation. Tell your buddy to kick rocks
ummmm... I have hit 42 on a stock charger.... alot different air here though.:poke:

·
Winners never quit!
502 Posts
45+ plus here from a stocker... not that im particularly proud of it an its only seen that a few select times, but the turbo is still in great shape.

·
Banned
814 Posts
who looks a gauges when you race.... heck i got to the point when im messing around anyplace i put my hand over the pyro.... all i know is that at the end of an 1/8 mile run i have looked over and seen it comming down from 2200*....

·
Registered
817 Posts
LOL, I see 1600 every pass, but don't think twice about it (it's such a short duration). While not at high elevation, my Baby Swamps make 36 psi with a stock charger but no intercooler.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts