Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who all has an S&B Intake on their trucks? I'm just installing mine right now and while it appears to be a nice piece overall I'm just about to the end of the install and getting mad at it. The stepper boot that hooks the intake pipe to the turbo IMHO is too short. Also why couldn't they have taken a few more seconds of engineering time to put a shoulder on it? I try to tighten the clamp and it slides right off down onto the turbo body. There isn't enough boot there before it steps up for the clamp to get a good grab.

Anyone else have this problem? How did you remedy?

Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I installed my almost a year ago, from what I can remember it was a PITA you have to keep everything loose and tighten as you go. Sorry if this dosent help too much, unfortanly my trucks in the shop with possible head gasket problems. So I cant pop the hood and be more detailed. Hopefully this help good luck.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it's packed back in the box and it's going back. I'm going to do the AFE.. I'm hearing it flows better and makes more noise, both of which I want... If I wanted quiet and no flow I'd keep the stocker in there.

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
The AFE is definetly louder in the compartment. also it sounds like its breathing thru the side vent. i love mine. better then the banks i had.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sucks to hear! Mine was supposed to show ip on Friday. Now I'm not looking forward to getting it :-(

·
Laces Out
12,312 Posts
i love my S&B ...install was basic, except the fit wasn't dead nuts on. i think the total install time was about 45 minutes. i cant complain, as it supports all the horsepower i could make and isnt loud in the cab!! i may try the AFE on the drag truck, but the s&b is a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My biggest beef with it is that boot from the tube to the turbo... It's too short and doesn't have a shoulder to hold the clamp from sliding off.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've got 30K on my S&B with no complaints, I know what boot your talking about...and I too was concerned, but I've never had an issue. I will tell you that a side by side comparison of the flow each system will show the slight upper hand to the S&B unit. If you ever get bored and have a flow bench right in front of you... lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yea go with afe. Cleaning the filter will be 100% easier as well.

·
Diesel fanatic
591 Posts
The install went good on my truck but the gas piston for the hood hits the air box when I close it. Poor fit IMO.

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
I've had my S&B for almost 15,000 and bought an extra filter for it. It was a pita, but are you 100% sure you had the housing stuck down in the 3 holes right. I had to lube them. there was something about that hose that attaches there. I can't remember either. can you take some pics?

·
Diesel fanatic
591 Posts
I've only had one hit the hood strut, and I didn't have it seated all the way down.
Im going to try and readjust it again (for the 6th time). If I seat the air box all the way down then the rubber boots dont line up right. Maybe Im just missing something. :confused:

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Install can be a little tricky, but not too bad as long as you leave everything loose when fitting it. S&B have been flawless for us and we have never had a complaint or issue with them. AFE is another good option, but you will pay more for it and not really gain anything. If you want more noise with your S&B, leave the lid off.

·
GOT WOOD!!!!
648 Posts
Is it not good to leave the lid off??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts