Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
TampaRedNeck
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every morning when i start my truck it starts fine, engine sounds strong, and no smoke. when i start driving it takes about 5 min for the truck to run right. by this i mean i rev to 2,000rpm's and only going 10-20 mph but after that first few min then the truck runs great.

any ideas?

·
TampaRedNeck
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if it was really cold out side i could see the engine running like crap until it warms up. but im in florida, and i have never had, or driven a diesel truck that sounds like this when it warms up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I always let mine idle atleast 10 minutes. If I don't itll take it a few miles to loosen up. U have to remember there's a lot of oil in any diesel and that oil thickens as it gets cold. Let it run a while or leave it plugged up on cold nights

·
TampaRedNeck
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
like i said i dont have problems with cold weather. its got to be something else other then just warming up

·
diesel fiend
338 Posts
I started putting rev x in mine and the cold start problems went away . Even when the weather is warm I would have to let it warm up to 120 degrees before it would run smooth.

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
First thing is too scan it and see if there are any codes.

·
TampaRedNeck
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just scanned and no codes came up

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
Are you using a good scanner that will communicate with this truck or are you using a code reader, a lot of these will not work on these trucks. But if it doesn't have any codes I would clean the EGR valve, with oven cleaner and the intake with a large round wire brush, then see what happens.

·
TampaRedNeck
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
egr should not be a problem its been deleted

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
you have stiction...it's very common in these motors. basically, the oil is too thick/cold and this causes the spool valves in the top of the injector to stick. once the oil is warmed up, the injectors will fire normally as the spool valves work themselves free. a lot of people run Rev X with great results. get some and try it out. if that doesn't work, you'll need to have your injectors run through.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I always let mine idle atleast 10 minutes. If I don't itll take it a few miles to loosen up. U have to remember there's a lot of oil in any diesel and that oil thickens as it gets cold. Let it run a while or leave it plugged up on cold nights
The statement below is the the assumption that you do not have sticion and the FICM is in good shape.

Then use a thinner cold viscosity oil. And plugging it in is better than letting it idle for 10min. what temps are you in?
If you are in super cold climate then I can understand but I still do not agree with letting the engine idle for 10 min just to warm up.

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
Well, with no EGR then I'd go with what Stroke of Luck says next. You could try a full synthetic oil also.

·
Big Pimpin'
49 Posts
idle in the am?

idk. I start it up 5-10 minutes before I head out in the am. 100 degrees or 20 degrees (although 100 is more common, lol). Just seems to be sluggish and needs a "head start" in the am if I don't.

Its gonna run all day anyway, whats a few good minutes to let it warm up?

·
Registered
132 Posts
We have ran big engines my whole life on our farm and I'll never forget what my dad told me about warming an engine before leaving down the road he told me if I'm ever seen leaving without lettin his vehicle warm up I'll never use it again and if I treat my vehicle that way he won't be helpin me fix it needless to say warming up for 5 or 10 min your engine will love you just don't let it idle for ever

1 - 20 of 23 Posts