Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, so i just got done putting my edge cts in and took it for a testdrive.. i found my ect vs eot difference good with the most diff being 11 deg..( it better be since i just repalced it) but i found my ect and eot stay around 155-160 and trans about 150 also. now i much rather have it this way than too hott lol. but doesnt it seem a little too cool to you guys?? oh and ambient temp was 70 outside

·
Registered
115 Posts
How long did you drive it?

Once warmed up, ECT should be low to mid 190's and EOT around 200+ running down the road unloaded.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
about 35miles down the interstate

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yea that is a little cold.

When I was in Tahoe for a while during the winter my temps would never get above 160. So I used a piece of card board to block some of the air flow. That brought my temps up to 190ish and trans temps got up to 140. It also held the heat in the eng longer.
With any engine running cold, there will be water build up in the engine due to the temps not getting high enough to evaporate the water that is taken in from the air.

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
your thermostat is stuck open, replace the thermostat you should be seeing 190ish ECT and EOT temps when warmed up

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
already checked the thermostat it opens properly

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
too cool isn't good for these trucks
whats your outside air temps when you got your readings?

EDIT duhh 70

Hmm been a while since I have seen 70 lol but mine would be around 184 ECT

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what happens if they run too cool?

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
from deselsite Ignore the 203 t stat referance because it's for a 7.3
but you get the idea
Answer: You want the engine oil/water temps to be warmer so you get a cleaner, more complete combustion. This can actually bring exhaust gas temperatures DOWN. Diesel ignites from heat of compression. The idea is to compress the air charge to build enough heat to light the fuel, but if it's fighting against a low engine heat, the fuel will ignite, but not as complete as if the cylinders were just a bit warmer. The more complete the combustion, the cooler the exhaust temperatures. Diesel fuel combustion tends to complete best at temps above 200*. An added benefit from using the 203o thermostat is better working cab heaters in the cold months. Another added benefit is better fuel economy. We have seen everywhere from 1-4mpg increases. This depends on climates, driving habits, etc. Even a modest .25 mpg increase will pay for the thermostat in a few

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool thanks for the info zmann.. I'll try some cardboard tomarrow when I take my grill off to do my HIDS!

·
Registered
97 Posts
You shouldn't need cardboard at 70 degrees out, two days ago it was 55 and my 07 was running down the road at 185ect and 193eot. You have some underlying problem, granted the cardboard should help you but I would want to find the root of it not mask it IMO.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True I'm just lost lol easy to diag something running hott (bad thermostat, fan, waterpump) but running cool? Lol scratching my head right now

·
Registered
7 Posts
You really want your temps to be around 200. Anything less you won't burn off the contaminates and water in your oil. Get a new thermostat.

·
Dirty Outlaw
55 Posts
wow after reading this i think something is wrong with my truck my ect is always around 190 and my eot is 180 give or take a few degrees any thoughts?

·
Registered
689 Posts
The difference between ect and eot will not be accurate/consistent when the ect is 192 and below because of the coolant flow from the thermostat.

·
Registered
103 Posts
so why dont they make 203 thermostat for the 6.0 us people that dont tow but a street bike

oh and what temp is to hot for these motors

1 - 16 of 16 Posts