Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas. So I just bought a 97 f250 7.3 auto 4x4. When I got it the engine was bad so it has a newish engine from a wrecked truck. The problem I'm having now that I need help with is the truck is running incredibly rich, shaking at lower rpms (not enough power for the load), feels about half the power it should. What I've done is pulled codes, I got #3 cylinder contribution fail, then I played musical injectors to see if the problem followed, it didn't. I changed the idm, no change. Changed the valve cover harnesses, check the resistance on all the wires and sensors. I'm new to diesels and I could use some help. Thank you guys in advance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots and lots of white unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust. I should add that I got code P0476 exaust pressure control valve ckt range as well. I did do a buzz test. They all buzzed, some sounded different but still buzzed. Compression test was good

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should elaborate. It puts huge clouds of white smoke out of the exhaust. It smells like straight unburnt diesel fuel

·
Project Shamu
2,969 Posts
Sounds like #3 injector went bad and is injecting too much fuel. You could pull them all out and have them tested? Idk what else you could do to diagnose, but I think thats what I would do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Injectors and wiring are pretty much ruled out at this point? What do you guys think about the ecu being the problem?

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Have you cleaned your exhaust back pressure valve and tube since you got the code for it?

If not here are some instructions on cleaning it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The #3 injector has been swapped out with a known good one so the injector itself on cylinder 3 can be ruled out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts