Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
they call me tater salad
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a jvc nx 7000 double din head unit it has a built in usb cable and i was wondering if i bought a double sided male usb adapter could i run my laptop throught the head unit?

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
jdc753 put a pc in his truck maybe he'll chime in
yup, mine is a full dedicated PC though, it is linked to my headunit though just a 3.5mm out the speaker port to my HU.

This is what I found about this particular HU...

Crutchfield.com said:
USB Input: The JVC KW-NX7000 features a rear-panel USB port on a 48" pigtail. This allows you to play USB mass storage and Media Transfer Protocol devices such as a USB thumbdrive, Digital Audio Player or portable HDD loaded with MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, JPEG, MPEG1, and MPEG2 files. For the unit to recognize the USB medium, it must be specified as a mass storage device formatted using FAT 12, FAT 16, or FAT 32. The unit's USB port supports MP3 files with a bit rate of 32-320 kbps, WMA files with a bit rate of 5-320 kbps, AAC files with bit rate of 16-320 kbps, and WAV files with a Linear PCM bit rate of 704-1,411 kbps. For MPEG1/2 files, the maximum bit rate for video signals is 2 Mbps. The unit can recognize a total of 5,000 files and 250 folders (a folder may contain a maximum of 999 files). This unit will recognize a total of 25 characters for file/folder names. This unit cannot recognize a USB device whose rating is other than 5V and exceeds 500 mA. A USB cap is supplied to place over the USB input when it's not in use.
I don't see it quite working out how you are intending, or at all. I most certainly am not ruling out the possibility, but don't think it will work.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
You can use a usb cable to feed music to it by having the notebook share out a folder via emulating a flash drive but thats about all.

·
Registered
545 Posts
So a laptop would pretty much just be a HUGE mp3 player? Or can it play movies too?

Fixing to replace my HU. This is good info.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
So a laptop would pretty much just be a HUGE mp3 player? Or can it play movies too?

Fixing to replace my HU. This is good info.
Umm kinda and nope :D

All the notebook would be doing when hooked up like the op was asking about would be emulating a flash drive aka one big drive full of stuff. The stereo still has to be able to natively play whatever format is being provided. You can do the same thing with an external hard drive.

Now using the external display connector you can drive an lcd panel if you add one of those.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Now using the external display connector you can drive an lcd panel if you add one of those.
Now you would be getting into my world...

The hu in question could do movies through the "flash drive" (mpeg1 and mpeg2)

If anyone gets interested in doing an onboard computer, then check out MP3Car.com

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Now you would be getting into my world...

The hu in question could do movies through the "flash drive" (mpeg1 and mpeg2)

If anyone gets interested in doing an onboard computer, then check out MP3Car.com
I keep kicking around the computer angle on the dodge I just bought. It has that stupid din and 1/2 hole in it and I cant find a decent headunit that will fix it. Ive been looking at all the displays over on that site trying to decide what to go with. I picked out the computer Im going with from there since I want an atom processor setup and a 12v power supply but still cant decide on the screen deal since I loath the idea of cutting the dash for anything :D

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
I keep kicking around the computer angle on the dodge I just bought. It has that stupid din and 1/2 hole in it and I cant find a decent headunit that will fix it. Ive been looking at all the displays over on that site trying to decide what to go with. I picked out the computer Im going with from there since I want an atom processor setup and a 12v power supply but still cant decide on the screen deal since I loath the idea of cutting the dash for anything :D
There ya go, the screen part and cutting sure. I was soo paranoid cutting mine since its wood grain finish. Wouldn't mind cutting up another one though.

That atom should be a pretty cool setup though :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts