Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Daily Stroker
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend's neighbor used to own a cummins and he told me to run a 5 gallon jug of kerosene next time I filled my tank and that it would clean everything out really well but to only do it in the winter because the engine will run hot while your doing it. Anyone done this or run anything through there truck like this?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My dad had 4 gallons of left over Kerosene so I dumped it in my truck a few weeks ago. Didn't notice anything. It burnt it fine. I am not so sure about it cleaning everything out. I don't think it would lubricate as good. However, I do know that Kerosene burns cleaner than diesel. In those Kerosene/Diesel heaters, they always say to burn Kerosene if in an enclosure because it is less toxic to breath because it burns a lot cleaner than regular diesel fuel.

·
1,097 Posts
Usually I use kerosene to improve the lame local winter blrnd we get around here. If the forecast is for +5F or less, I throw in 5 gallons of kerosene. Never any problem.

A couple years ago I got a super-deal on kerosene and ran it straight all summer. Other than the fact my MPG dropped off about 1.5 MPG (due to lower heat value of kerosene) the truck ran fine. It started quick (I think kerosene has a higher cetane rating) and ran smooooth.

Whether the kerosene cleaned anything out, I couldn't tell you, but B20 sure loosens up the gunk and you better have some fuel filters handy.

Most kerosene is water-clear so if the local tax Nazis dip you, they can't see a thing.

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
:whs:

Kero is a more refined product then diesel, hence... #1. where diesel is #2.

i believe the cetane is rating is higher, but the BTU's per gallon is lower by an average of 2,000 BTU per gallon. also the lubrication is less then diesel wich means you should add some 2 stroke in if running it in large quantities, but the benefits.. Low jell point and cloud point. and when mixed with diesel will lower the points.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts