Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i must have drove 5 different super duty trucks and mine is the roughest riding truck out there.I fill every bump on the road even when i did my leveling kit it still road the same.My friends truck that has a 9" lift and rides way better then mine.If you were to leave your head on the head rest you will definitely have a head ache.I install new 5100's Bilstiens on all four corner and it still road the same. What causing this ride.BTW 305/70/16
_

·
Registered
51 Posts
The solid front axle has leaf springs. Not as smooth as coils or a torsion bar front end like on dodge or chevy.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what your saying but i was comparing it to other fords like ours.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,347 Posts
doesn't the lift kit lower GVW there for having softer springs?? your leveling kit adds a leaf witch stiffens the front end...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
doesn't the lift kit lower GVW there for having softer springs?? your leveling kit adds a leaf witch stiffens the front end...
I diden't make a difference when i installed the leveling kit,even when it was stock it was rough.

·
Registered
159 Posts
what it a rough country kit. they don't call it ROUGH country for nothing ya know.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's funny cause that's what I have but like I said it road rough from the factory compair to the other ford I drove here

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
What tires and at what pressure do you have them running at? That can make a significant dif in ride. E rated with high psi is a rouhg ride. More plys the worst.

Is it possible you have the snow plow option front springs?

Either way it should not be that rough. SOunds more liek the way Excursion are with the springs riding/bottoming on the bump stops

Do you feel it more coming from the front, rear, or both?

The best riding aftermarket springs out there are from ICON. They also have a life time repalcement warranty against saging. But inteh front the stock springs are the best riding.

If there is not some other probelm causing it I would try a new set of stock V code front springs. You already have replaced the shocks with good ones. Its a fairly cheap option. You could even try a pair from th salvage yard to try and see. But that is only if that is where the issue is.

But first I would send a PM to OBSWIZ ( Cary). He is very good at figuring out how to get these things riding great. Tons of experinicne. Has helps many on a number of boards.

One of the smoothest riding SD setups with leafs I have riden in was
Front: stock V codes combined with ICON 4.5" shackle/hanger lift
Rear: 5" ICON rear springs.
Adj Track Bar

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Chris what about your seats,I think they also make a difference. I notice the seats in my 450 are firm compared to my 01 seats. My 01 seat seems a lot softer than yours too. Isn't your truck a sport model?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Think the only dif in the sport model is the shocks which he has already replaced.

On the 5100 shocks. I know some have differnt vavling options. Soft or heavy valving. Not sure if that was an option inthe line you picked but something to lok at. The heavy valving will give a harsher ride.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i was having the same issue an i got a a set of mickey thompsons. game over rides like a dream now. day and night difference an there 10ply e rated running max pressure. just try out your buddys tires on your truck an see if it helps.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
That is what I was thinking as first to check, based on what he posted already having done, as pressure and tire side wall stiffness and the compound can really create a stiff ride. I know on even my oringal D rated tires. If I took them up to max psi on the side wall of 70 psi they rode like a brick unloaded. Took them down to 55 front 60 rear rode much smoother. My MT I had on a number of differnt vehciles all the way back to when the sidebiters were the only ones. They always hanlded bumps etc very smooth. Never tired any of their E rated tires though. I think its the compound they use.

·
Registered
116 Posts
yeah i love them the radial claw its just awesome i don't think ill get another tire. yeah there pricey but you get what you pay for with the m/t's. they get good tire life on the road. there not too loud on the road compared to there performance off road. an the snow ha is like having snow shoes lol. it doesn't hurt matters they look really good too. but back on track i think thats where his problem is thats where mine was. an i did everthing he listed he has tryied to cure the issue. before the tires:doh: o well it didnt hurt anything to replace everthing under my truck. well my wallet LOL

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My stock tires were e rated and it was hard riding. My friend was selling his truck 2000 f-250 but said I can have his set up just have to give him my old tires and wheels 305/70/16 which was very very low on tread. After he gave me his tires and wheels 325/50/20 Mickey Thompson ATZ on 20x12 DC1 I loved the look and it was only 2 years old but the treads were almost new. The ride was even worse,it was so bad that my wife and kids said they don't want to ride the truck anymore and said she wants a divorce so I had to give back the rims and put my old rims and bald tires on.

·
Registered
159 Posts
did u say u had bilsteins? could they be broken in some way. I had bilsteins 5100
s on my jeep and they stopped working within a month.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
did u say u had bilsteins? could they be broken in some way. I had bilsteins 5100
s on my jeep and they stopped working within a month.
I think there still good cause it fills the same as the day i installed them.

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
My stock tires were e rated and it was hard riding. My friend was selling his truck 2000 f-250 but said I can have his set up just have to give him my old tires and wheels 305/70/16 which was very very low on tread. After he gave me his tires and wheels 325/50/20 Mickey Thompson ATZ on 20x12 DC1 I loved the look and it was only 2 years old but the treads were almost new. The ride was even worse,it was so bad that my wife and kids said they don't want to ride the truck anymore and said she wants a divorce so I had to give back the rims and put my old rims and bald tires on.
You could have just purchased some new stock springs and cured your problem. At 8-9 years old springs sag and ride stiffer. Add a leaf definitely doesn't help. You could have X springs. Also, many of the quality lifts ride better than stock.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I replaced the front springs 1 1/2 years ago under warranty but dont no if there x springs.How do i tell them apart and whats the difference from regular springs?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts