Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I know that it is coming up time to change out some ball joints and all on my truck. I have already done the drivers side ball joints but not the passenger side. Recently it has started riding extremely rough, especially when going around a left curve. If I am driving down the highway, it will clear up after a mile or 2 and ride smooth until I stop again. I am wondering if maybe my brake caliper is sticking? This is the only logical thing I can think of that would make it ride rough sometimes and not others. Advice? Thanks!

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
You didn't specify if your truck is 2 or 4wd. If it's 4wd then you could have a bad axle shaft u-joint that is frozen. You could have a bad bushing on the trackbar. A bad tierod. You could also have bad leafspring bushings or even bad swaybar bushings.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
Well I know that it is coming up time to change out some ball joints and all on my truck. I have already done the drivers side ball joints but not the passenger side. Recently it has started riding extremely rough, especially when going around a left curve. If I am driving down the highway, it will clear up after a mile or 2 and ride smooth until I stop again. I am wondering if maybe my brake caliper is sticking? This is the only logical thing I can think of that would make it ride rough sometimes and not others. Advice? Thanks!
what lift, tires and shocks are ya running? also did you do a dana 60 swap or did you lift it with the stock pos d50ttb?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my bad, 4wd. and the previous owner lifted it on the stock pos. i'm considering dropping a dana 60 in there this summer if i can get the funds. Speeddemon, would any of those things come and go? It's almost as if the truck rides rough as crap, then i get up to speed, go around a couple curves, then it rides smooth as ever. Then I stop, and when i start going again, sometimes it goes back to be rough again, sometimes it is still smooth. It is off and on. But when it is doin it, it pisses me off

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I missed the fact that it is a 250 and not a 350. In this case your problem is going to end up being the notorious TTB bushings. It is a horrible design that was flawed from day one. Jack the truck up and put a large pry bar between the TTB arm and the bracket and try moving the TTB arm. If it moves laterally the bushings are bad. A clear indicator of that is if with the truck on the ground the wheels look like the tops are tilted way in.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what does TTB stand for? are you talking about the axle pivot bushings? cause i already know they are bad, already bought the new ones, haven't put them in. i sprayed the whole suspension down real good and washed it out and now it doesn't do it nearly as bad. maybe had a little mud up in there or something. it still does it on occasion, but not as bad. also, there is a popping, ticking sound that happens when i am turning the steering wheel to back outta my parking spot, also it happens when i am idling along slow and use the brakes any at all

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
what does TTB stand for? are you talking about the axle pivot bushings? cause i already know they are bad, already bought the new ones, haven't put them in. i sprayed the whole suspension down real good and washed it out and now it doesn't do it nearly as bad. maybe had a little mud up in there or something. it still does it on occasion, but not as bad. also, there is a popping, ticking sound that happens when i am turning the steering wheel to back outta my parking spot, also it happens when i am idling along slow and use the brakes any at all
Twin Traction Beam

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so that would be axle pivot bushings right? lol

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright sweet, thanks. yeah i already bought some moog bushings, just haven't gotten around to installing them yet, maybe i'll get it done this weekend

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
First thing to do is to replace those TTB bushings. Then make sure your leaf spring bushings and swaybar bushings are good. Then make sure your tierods/draglink etc. are good. Then when you take it to get it aligned have them get the appropriate camber sleeves to install. They are made by Moog. If I remember correctly you can get them from 0* up to 3*.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
First thing to do is to replace those TTB bushings. Then make sure your leaf spring bushings and swaybar bushings are good. Then make sure your tierods/draglink etc. are good. Then when you take it to get it aligned have them get the appropriate camber sleeves to install. They are made by Moog. If I remember correctly you can get them from 0* up to 3*.
Alright, I'm actually replacing a broken Drop bracket this next week so maybe i will do ttb bushings as well and check everything you mentioned. Then i was planning on getting it aligned so i will talk to them about the camber sleeves by Moog.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my tires actually don't lean in at the top when i am driving forward, but if i back into a parking spot, they lean really bad. probably due to it not being aligned

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
my tires actually don't lean in at the top when i am driving forward, but if i back into a parking spot, they lean really bad. probably due to it not being aligned
some have done that when they were brand new and from the factory, others meanwhile have never done that.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have heard something similar from another guy. i'll be getting it aligned once i change out the bushings and all. it didn't use to do it until after i changed out the tie rods/drag link. but i haven't gotten it aligned yet since i haven't changed the TTB bushings.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Same with mine, i think it also has to do with the fact that when you back up, the weight goes to the front of the truck giving it more to squat on the wheels. Just a thought.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Same with mine, i think it also has to do with the fact that when you back up, the weight goes to the front of the truck giving it more to squat on the wheels. Just a thought.
Makes sense to me, never thought about that

1 - 20 of 21 Posts