Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 f350 that when i pull my single axle enclosed trailer with 2 sport quads and get off the highway it runs really rough and is slow to spool up again.once turbo has spooled up power is back and it seems to run good maybe a little less power.once you stop if you turn the truck off the problem seems to go away untill you get on and off the highway. this truck has no mods all stock with 135000 miles

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any help or suggestions would be much appreciated also i have a auto scanner that records data if thats any help

·
Power Junky
1,055 Posts
might be stuck veins in the turbo. has it ever been serviced?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not that in know of. but i just replaced an egr and oil cooler if that helps

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Def sounds turbo related. Stuck veins, vgt solenoid?

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,868 Posts
does it smoke when u get low power?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no smoke on low power. some times it doesnt want to kick down it chugs for half a second then kicks down spools and takes off

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Scan tool at your disposal? Need to see what everything is doing when it happens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes i have one im going to the mountains tomorrow and i can record it when it happins what do i need to know?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i couldnt get the rogh idle but still no power and it seems even less now

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Can you look at ICP? VGT duty cycle?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not in those terms it can look at like map kpa and a list of others i also added an airaid intake i had already ordered a while ago

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,678 Posts
Here is a quick list on the things that can affect power (in relative order of "cheap and easy to resolve" to "most expensive"):

- Boost leak (CAC tube): check for leaks.
- Clogged air filter: check filter minder or just replace the filter.
- Plugged fuel filters: replace filters w/ OEM filters.
- Aerated oil (wrong/worn-out oil OR too much oil): change oil properly.
- Wire chaffing: check problem areas.
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17301&d=1208412696
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17301&d=1208412697
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17301&d=1208412698
- Bad fuel.
- Clogged fuel lines: Check system (run pressure check if you can), but verify fuel is flowing quickly to secondary filter bowl.
- Air in fuel: check filter caps and lines for leaks.
- Bad EGR valve or clogged EGR valve: clean EGR valve.
- Clogged EBP, MAP sensor tubes: clean tube / hose. Check to see if the MAP hose has become disconnected.
- Stuck turbo vanes: clean turbo or replace center section.
- Injector stiction: get latest flash or maybe use HotShots.
- Having your truck flashed when you did not return your tuner to stock.
- Improperly completed flash.
- Bad MAF sensor: replace sensor.
- Bad ICP sensor or harness (usually will have rough or no-start w/ this).
- Bad IPR valve (or restricted IPR valve due to solids on the inlet screen).
- Bad VGT actuator. Replace actuator.
- Bad fuel pump (HFCM).
(you MUST have a minimum fuel pressure of 45 psig at all times or you risk expensive injector damage).
- Leaking EGR cooler. Replace or eliminate the EGR cooler.
- Bad injectors. Identify and replace leaking injector(s).
- Bad FICM, usually there are quite a few codes w/ a bad Fuel Injection Control Module.
- Bad HPOP. Usually a "no-start" condition will be experienced with a bad high pressure oil pump. It is a fairly big/expensive job to replace this pump.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i pulled the turbo off and cleaned it. It wasnt very dirty.I installed the larger oil line and drain.When i took it apart i noticed oil in between the turbo and intake. Cleaning the turbo changed nothing. i ordered some gauges maybe they will tell me something

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
i pulled the turbo off and cleaned it. It wasnt very dirty.I installed the larger oil line and drain.When i took it apart i noticed oil in between the turbo and intake. Cleaning the turbo changed nothing. i ordered some gauges maybe they will tell me something
will be some oil due to the ccv. it could be the vgt solenoid not workin right. but that would cause some smoke probably. so i would say something like FICM, or fuel filters maybe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello again everyone and thanks for your help this far. I finaly got and instlled a boost gauge, today i will be hooking up an egt gauge and ill have one left over that says it can be used for either fuel or oil pressure. what should i use it for and where would i install it? and last what kind of numbers should i be looking for?

·
Still learning
367 Posts
fuel pressure 50 to 60 psi

1 - 18 of 18 Posts