Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
OBS Addict
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Got a 97 F 250 with a 5 speed, 4:10's, and the TTB front axle. Truck runs great and smooth till I hit 60 mph. Then all of a sudden it gets rough and real noisy. Then at 70 mph it flattens out and gets nice and smooth again. Really wierd. Although at 70+ mph she's screamin but I've takin it outa gear at 65 mph and the roughness persists. So it isn't the tranny. And I can definately feel it in the front end over the rear. Truck has 144k and the ball joints and u-joints were new at 135k. And Thier still fine. What do ya guys think? Thanks.

·
OBS Addict
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump. Not a pressing issue I just wanna know if it's a sign of something worse.

·
OBS Addict
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a similar issue but I mine is automatic. It turned out to be a combination of tie rods and ends. Bad alignment and 37s.

·
OBS Addict
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm running 33s and I prolly could use an alignment......

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Check to see if your front drive line balancing weight has rusted off. I noticed on one of my trucks it blew off. And was cleaning up the rear driveshaft on other truck and one of the weights was on the verge of coming off. Pulled off polished up the weight and shaft with grinder and J B welded back on...

jrc

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
Could be a wheel weight fell off..

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
Get your wheels balanced.

·
OBS Addict
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll check when I can about the driveline weight. The wheels are ballanced and there's no mud. The truck does tend to like to go to the right and when I'm going down the road straight my steering wheel Isn't straight....
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Are the u-joints in the axles new too?

·
OBS Addict
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are the u-joints in the axles new too?
Havent touched the axles. Replaced U joints At 133k. now has 145k. Pretty sure they are ok still.

·
Just another OBS addict
1,006 Posts
I got one for ya...your down pipe is rubbing up on the pinchweld on the firewall. at that speed range it creates a bad vibration. Mine happened above 60 or so. I bent my firewall and it cleared it when I put it in, but then within a week or so it started rubbing again and I had to bend it more. Also, I've noticed it rubs when the truck is flexed in off roading.

·
OBS Addict
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got one for ya...your down pipe is rubbing up on the pinchweld on the firewall. at that speed range it creates a bad vibration. Mine happened above 60 or so. I bent my firewall and it cleared it when I put it in, but then within a week or so it started rubbing again and I had to bend it more. Also, I've noticed it rubs when the truck is flexed in off roading.
Dude you just hit the nail on the head. Me and my dad first noticed the vibration.......hold for suspense.........right when we put my MBRP exhaust system on. That's it. Got some firewall tweaking to do. Thanks a bunch man.

·
Just another OBS addict
1,006 Posts
Dude you just hit the nail on the head. Me and my dad first noticed the vibration.......hold for suspense.........right when we put my MBRP exhaust system on. That's it. Got some firewall tweaking to do. Thanks a bunch man.
Well glad to hear I wasnt the only one with that problem :doh:. You'll most likely have to pull the dp. You have any problems with hanger on the end next to the rear wheel well with falling off? Mine keeps doing it every once in awhile, been doing it since I put it in

·
OBS Addict
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well glad to hear I wasnt the only one with that problem :doh:. You'll most likely have to pull the dp. You have any problems with hanger on the end next to the rear wheel well with falling off? Mine keeps doing it every once in awhile, been doing it since I put it in
No I haven't had any problems with hangers. Or anything with the exhaust besides that vibration.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts