Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello first time poster, I have a 2004 Ford F-250 6.0 I bought about 2 years ago it needed work guy only wanted $3,500 for it so couldn’t pass it up. After doing tons of research I went through the truck to find all the problems it had (mostly bad injectors) came to find out the black plastic fuel pressure seat was cracked causing low fuel pressure which resulted in 4 injectors killing themselves (injectors came out in 2 pieces when removed for replacement). After searching all over online for a good decent priced injector source I decided on Warren Diesel 155cc with stock nozzles and new spool valves these came with an 18mo warranty. Ordered a set of 8, Installed them tuned the truck with their tune using sct tuner and religiously changed my oil every 5k miles with Rotella T6. About 3 months ago on my way to work I had an injector quit on me with a low circuit code from what I gather this usually means the injector solenoid let go. Called warren diesel and turns out I was 2 months out of warranty and the lady asks what oil I was running and I told her the Rotella T6 that everyone on all the diesel forums swears by for the 6.0 she says actually we found that T6 is to thin of an oil and causes the spool valves to score and scratch and stick and recommend conventional Schafer’s oil. I ordered the replacement injector from them and replaced it doing an oil change at the same time, couldn’t find Schafer’s in my area and Rotella T was on sale so that’s what I went with figured well it’s a conventional oil. Fired truck up ran great again, about 300 miles later an injector on the driver side stops firing this time with a contribution balance code. Called warren diesel again and they said the same speal about the wrong oil and said even the Rotella T was wrong if I couldn’t find Schafer’s to use motorcraft oil. Guess my question out of this long winded post is do you think they are blowing smoke? The way I see it diesel oils with the same weight should all be close to the same? 5w-40 vs 15w-40 conventional or synthetic are all gonna have the same viscosity at operating temps correct?

·
Registered
125 Posts
In theory viscosity is viscosity. But if two oils with the same viscosity have different detergents and additives in them then after some wear they can preform different. At least thats my understanding from where i work when we get oil samples done every month on all our machinery. We do in house testing and lab analysis. One ship i was on ran the same viscoisty oil in the Generators as the Main Engine. Generator oil was a 500hr and done full oil change. Main engine was a once a month top up of 50-100L, Change filters once a year, and clean the lub oil purifer every few months. Engine was 20+ years old when i left. Oil was tested every month to see if it hadent started to detorate. If the oil did get to bad we could get an oil tech in and they would add detergents to our oil again. Main Engine oil was Much more expensive then the Generator oil tho.

I wish it was just as simple as viscosity is viscosity then i wouldnt be forking out close to $25 a ltr for Motorex liquid magic oil for my KTM lol.

Ugh i already know im gonna kick myself for posting in an oil thread lol

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
yes I think they are blowing smoke

I have run T6 5-40 for 100,000 miles with no injector issues or blackstone problems

I know a lot of people wo have had good results with T6

Ugh i already know im gonna kick myself for posting in an oil thread lol
you and me both

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I haven't seen that many "praising" T6. Lol Especially not on all the forums. But that's here nor there.
Sounds like they were blowing smoke up your chute.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
573 Posts
I believe that what they are telling you is "bovine feces". T-6 causing these problems does not even make sense in their alternative universe!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
What should make you immediately raise the BS flag is that they said the T6 is too thin. T6 has either 0W-40 or 5W-40. Schaeffers offers up to 30 in light truck, and up to 40 weight in their heavy duty. Weights aren't just assigned randomly. They HAVE to meet certain requirements to be labeled a certain SAE viscosity. So, to say the 40 weight is too thin as compared to a 30 weight, or another 40 weight, just reeks of a dairy...and in case you've never smelled a dairy, it's NASTY! lol

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
Got the replacement injectors ordered from warren yesterday and the warranty paper shows the oils they told me about.
hmmm that pic isn't loading for me... i was really wanting to see it too! lol

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
It says
"It's a good idea to run oil additive (Schaeffer Molly EP or Lucas full synthetic oil additive) from the time injectors are installed.
Recommendations: Schaeffer 15w40 7000 series.
Motorcraft 15w40 full synthetic.
The bit about running additives would steer me away from them. I shouldn't have to rely on additives to make your injectors last.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zmann

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
if all this oil issue and spool valve problem were true for any injector then we would all be the wiser to this issue by now

and honestly, Warren should have it posted on their site and have it as a bullet point when ordering injectors "we require you to use Shaffers" or whatever special oil

and recommending 15 w all year round is against Ford recommendations but ford does approve 5-40 year round

http://www.powerstrokediesel.com/docs/Oil_Filter_Change_Guide.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to this powerstroke forum and was going to make a post about my experience with Warren injectors here soon but The oil is just a way to get out of warranty replacements, I had one fail in 500 miles had an addition fail after that. I ran their recommended oil when I replaced the first one. Every one has their own opinion on oil but with my truck their recommend oil my truck (EOTs) run hotter then it ever has. I am not new to the diesel world have owned diesels going on 12 years and over 500,000 miles and in my opinion it is some of the worst oil I have ever ran. Hoping it will warm up here so I can get it out and replace with something different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts