Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Ford SuperDuty Lariat Powerstroke Diesel 7.3L with 169K on the motor. I'm trying to figure out which type of Rotella Oil I should be using. Can anyone give me some specifics? Thank you J.D.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Never run ro####a....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Reactions: Rcjetsaok

·
Registered
905 Posts
T6 here. Everyone i know who switched oils to t6 DO seem to like it. Ecspecially on cold starts. Had a buddy that was ready to do glowplugs, switched to t6 and good to go. He always thanks me for recomending it every time the subject comes up.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've been running T-6 for the past 4 years and am sold on it! Since changing it over to T-6, my 6.0 has run slicker than "owl sh*# on glass"!!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
So, this should be fun...

I just bought 4 Gallons of T6 and a new filter to put in my 97 F350 7.3L. I was hoping for better cold starts.
I guess we'll see in about three weeks when I am home again.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I am using:

Rotella 15W-40
Motorcraft 1995 Filter

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Donaldson DBL 7405 filter
Rotella standard (T4?) 15-40W runs great. Also have ran the 10-30W in winter too.
What I noticed compared to Delo 15-40w and 10-30w is at 5000 Kms the truck would start running rough at idle. Like highway speeds then come to red light and as it idles down would run lumpy. This does not happen with Rotella.

The DBL 7504 is a large capacity dual filter with a bypass built in oil seems to stay cleaner much longer to any other filter I’ve used. Mine now take 16 litres to fill and I have stretched out changes to 7,000-8000 Kms.

Cheers,
j

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
That's the filter I'm using. With unicorn piss.

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
Wow $40 for a filter.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Yeah, but for me, it's okay.
I push it out to 10k. Which takes over a year. Lol

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
It would take me two years to hit 10k. I can't justify $160+ oil changes. I do want to get a bypass filter for it though. Just because.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Yep. I will likely go with a diy bypass, or the Frantz system.
Sure, Jim's is the best out there, but I can't justify it.
And.... I may or may not be getting a non HEUI truck. So there's that....

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Yeah, if I had the money for a truck, which I don't, and there was a choice between common rail or heui, that's really no choice at all. And I almost bought an heui truck last year, so l like them too, but common rail is where it's at.

How long have you been doing 10k oil changes? That's pretty high, however I went like 3 years on one oil change once, so I probably shouldn't talk. Dont even know how many miles it was, never paid attention. Probably did some damage, but it's not like I give a sh*t. The only reason I eventually changed it is because it got so low the car would stall when I turned left.

Edit: come to think of it, I actually didn't change it. I just added more oil and kept going. I don't think I changed the oil on that thing more than once in the five years I drove it. Now that's impressive.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
What's a bypass filter? Like a second filter that will filter the oil if the original filter bypasses?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
What's a bypass filter? Like a second filter that will filter the oil if the original filter bypasses?
Seriously? I really don't know if you're messing with us or not. Well, just in case you're not, and for those who may not know, it's a very low micron filter which sits outside the normal flow of oil....meaning that flow path is not critical for engine operations. It filters down to a much smaller particle level than normal filters, and flows at a much lower rate, usually about 10% of normal flow. Some state 10 microns, some 1-2 microns. Really, it depends on the filter element and the flow restrictor in place. I don't remember the brand off hand, but they used the exact same filter for full flow and bypass, yet claimed 50 microns for the full flow and something like 8 for the bypass. It was all due to the restrictions in the flow, which allowed those smaller particles to become trapped in the filter medium.

Anyway, keeps oil cleaner so it has the potential to last longer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts