Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been using mobil 1 turbo diesel oil and its gotten down between 0 and 5 degrees here and my truck fires right up without plugging it in

just switched to rotella t6 full synthetic on my last oil change, and i went out today at 29* and it would NOT start...cycled the grid 3-4 times, tried, cycled, tried, etc....after 15 minutes of cycling it, plugging it in, putting my salamander heater on it...it finally starts....

so much for easier start ups rotella

i will never buy this junk again...i only bought it because everywhere was sold out of mobil 1 and i didnt want to wait...what a mistake that was

I

·
0 Posts
Most guys I know locally use T5 semi-syn 10W30 and it works fine for them..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all i know is, my truck started MUCH better on mobil 1 than it does on t6 rotella

almost missed work this morning and almost missed class this evening....my project for tomorrow is to fix my block heater cord since its gonna be cheaper than switching back to mobil 1...but my next oil change i will be going back to mobil 1 or switching to amsoil

·
all about ford
416 Posts
where are you located, i'm just north of cincinnati and i've always used rotella, not saying its always freezing cold here but there's been plenty of nights where its gotten around 0 and stayed there and my truck always fires right up :shrug:

·
Keep er shinny side up!
1,624 Posts
I'd almost be willing to say you have other issues, I run 15-40 rotella DINO oil in my old 7.3 and I have not used the block heater in about 4 or 5 years. Started the other day at 20 below zero like it was nothing(today was the first day above freezing here in over a week). Can't speak for the t-6 but If it was me I'd be looking my GP system over pretty closely:shrug:.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
right outside columbus....and im sure theres some people whose trucks do great on rotella - i can only compare mine having just switched oils back to back.

if your truck is like mine, imagine how good it would run on mobil 1 if its running so well on that rotella ;)

i just know i started up my truck today and i swear it mumbled "FU" through the vents because shes not happy with me for putting this rotella crap in there

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd almost be willing to say you have other issues, I run 15-40 rotella DINO oil in my old 7.3 and I have not used the block heater in about 4 or 5 years. Started the other day at 20 below zero like it was nothing(today was the first day above freezing here in over a week). Can't speak for the t-6 but If it was me I'd be looking my GP system over pretty closely:shrug:.
im sure something else is contributing to hard starts - not denying that at all lol

just saying that the mobil 1 was enough to compensate for any hard start issues, and now that i switched to rotella, im having more issues than i was before

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
Works good in my truck.

·
all about ford
416 Posts
right outside columbus....and im sure theres some people whose trucks do great on rotella - i can only compare mine having just switched oils back to back.

if your truck is like mine, imagine how good it would run on mobil 1 if its running so well on that rotella ;)

i just know i started up my truck today and i swear it mumbled "FU" through the vents because shes not happy with me for putting this rotella crap in there
lol i would give the mobil 1 a shot but i dont want any hard start issues lol I'm only kidding LOL

How much does a gallon of it cost? It's almost time for me to change oil

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
before next winter - i think ill buy a GP overhaul kit and replace plugs and harness and everything...just gonna get by this winter with my block heater

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol i would give the mobil 1 a shot but i dont want any hard start issues lol I'm only kidding LOL

How much does a gallon of it cost? It's almost time for me to change oil
the t6 is like 24.99/g and the mobil1 was like 21.99/g so its actually cheaper also lol

·
Keep er shinny side up!
1,624 Posts
If it's your relay that's dead it's a super easy fix...might not always be able to plug it in. I'm sure one of the vendors here would give you a good price on one to. IIRC one of the vendors just had a special on a relay and 8 gps cheap $.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
whats the common failing point on these trucks?

Glow Plug Kits - 7.3L Powerstroke

this site sells kits for overhauls but im not sure what all ide need

would glow plugs, glow plug relay, and valve cover gaskets be alright?

ive always heard people mention the harnesses too, and they have internal and external harnesses included in some of their overhaul kit options, but i dont understand what would go bad on the harness itself?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
also, how would i test my relay to see if its bad or not?

i never have problems once the truck is warmed up, its only cold starts

can i check with a meter somehow to see if the relay is bad?

when i turned the key today, lots of smoke, no fire...if i cycled it twice it would try to fire once then just go back to turning over

finally started after a long prayer lol

are those symptoms of a bad relay? and this problem has only come up in the past week or so.... (after my oil change - coincidence? maybe...but ill stick with what i KNOW works from here out)...before these problems came up, my truck would fire right up in any temp without thinking twice about it

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I run 15-40 delo most of the year and usually switch to 5-40 syn when it stays around 0. I have rotella syn in rite now and she started up last week in hastings minesota at -29* not plugged in. I'd say ur gp's took a ####

·
Keep er shinny side up!
1,624 Posts
There are two big "studs" on your gpr, one should be have power all the time, the other one should get power when you turn the key on. A test light is all you need to test the gpr.

Here is the link to the vendor I was talking about, 175$ but it's a good chance it better quality then the one you linked up.
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82365&highlight=glow+plug

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
now if the relay died, it wouldnt be starting at all would it? im in class, ill check it with a meter tomorrow

and if thats the case, then plugging it in tonight wont help it start tomorrow right?

where does the gpr mount? im not familiar with where stuff is at under the hood of this truck (ive worked on stuff before, so i have some mechanical ability)

·
Keep er shinny side up!
1,624 Posts
It will start with a bad GPR, just the GP will be of no help since there not getting power. Plugging it in will make all the difference in the world as long as you block heater works. In a pinch if your GPR is shot you can take a screwdriver and jump the two big posts and that will power up the GP's.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my block heater works half way...it used to warm the truck to the bottom line by the C...then the cord broke and i fixed it half-assed and now it only heats it half way between bottom and that bottom line...ill be fixing it properly tomorrow

and ill check the gpr with a meter tonight or tomorrow...does it mount on the fender like a starter relay or something?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts