Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people say go synthetic, but I have a leak and can't afford topping it off with that expensive chit. 14 dollars for 5 quarts motorcraft, 12.50 4 quarts rotella. I've only ran rotella, which is better? or is there a difference?

·
brandon
778 Posts
I have run motorcraft in the past in the 7.3 and seems fine to me. Ran the extreme blue, rotella, motorcraft, and several others and it ran about the same. If it is leaking bad enough to be constantly topping it off I would recommend getting the leak fixed.

·
Decorated Deer Killer
273 Posts
Ive only run motorcraft cant say anything about the others, but runs like she should for me.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Better cold starts with the motorcraft in my truck. It rumps a bit when real cold with the rotella.

I

·
0 Posts
Motorcraft HD 10W30 in winter and Motorcraft 15W40 sping, summer and fall here.. Runs great..

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have run motorcraft in the past in the 7.3 and seems fine to me. Ran the extreme blue, rotella, motorcraft, and several others and it ran about the same. If it is leaking bad enough to be constantly topping it off I would recommend getting the leak fixed.
It leaks about 2 quarts a month. Not terrible. It was worse before I had the oil cooler fixed. I'm just to lazy. I'm pretty sure its leaking from the hpop somewhere. Only bad thing about it is that it leaks all over the driveway, so I park it in the gravel..

·
brandon
778 Posts
6.2 chevy= cardboard in the dive way:D or i would leave it in the street

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Motorcraft sheared down to the bottom of the 40 weight rating after 3000 miles. If I had gone 5000 miles it would have sheared to a 30 weight. That was all I needed to see to not run it again.

Also, Motorcraft showed MOLYBDENUM of 24 in the same UOA. Moly is an important additive for engine longevity. Rotella has more and DELO is even better. My last UOA on DELO after 3000 miles showed Moly at 93. Also, DELO hardly sheared at all. Wear numbers on my UOA were all single digits. I'd take a good look at DELO if I were in your shoes.
Best,
Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts