Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have picked up a 1999 Motor, with Forged Rods ( I hope ) and now I am starting to tear it down. My question is, what would any of you do with the rods? Have them Heat treated and Cryo'd would be my best bet wouldn't it? I am going to tear into the bottom end, being I was told it has over 300k miles. I also want to go back with a girdle, and main studs. Anyone have thier favorites? And just some rough prices? My goals with this truck are a set of 300/200%, and I haven't decided on the turbo yet. I am hoping for around 550 rwhp, or possibly more. Any tips or advice would be great. Im young and Im here to learn and have a good time building this motor.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
If your going to cryo them you could get ahold of WOP. Many of the vendors sell girdle kits, you can check there websites or call em for prices. May want to get the pistons worked over for the power level if your going to be going into the motor anyhow. The 300/200's can make some pretty good heat.

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your going to cryo them you could get ahold of WOP. Many of the vendors sell girdle kits, you can check there websites or call em for prices. May want to get the pistons worked over for the power level if your going to be going into the motor anyhow. The 300/200's can make some pretty good heat.
Allrite. Your setup is pretty much what I want. And I was thinking about going ahead and putting back new pistons and rings, since Im right there. What girdle did you go with? Sorry if I missed it.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
No girdle in mine... I didn't pull the motor down just bolted a bunch of stuff on it... Maybe it's gonna blow, who knows. LOL

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No girdle in mine... I didn't pull the motor down just bolted a bunch of stuff on it... Maybe it's gonna blow, who knows. LOL
Oh haha. Yeah, I really don't wanna do all this work, and overlook something. Yes, its more money, but while Im right here, why not go ahead and do it. Is your setup over 600 hp? I guess I need to call Swamps...

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
If I would have pulled the motor and had it apart it would have got rods, girdle, cut/coated pistons and partial fill. But I will do that someday with one of the blocks I have to build. I'm not sure on my power but more than the 300 or so it pulled into the shop with a couple of months ago... LOL
Swamps will take care of ya if that's who you're going with!

·
Supercharged
1,218 Posts
So I have picked up a 1999 Motor, with Forged Rods ( I hope ) and now I am starting to tear it down. My question is, what would any of you do with the rods? Have them Heat treated and Cryo'd would be my best bet wouldn't it? I am going to tear into the bottom end, being I was told it has over 300k miles. I also want to go back with a girdle, and main studs. Anyone have thier favorites? And just some rough prices? My goals with this truck are a set of 300/200%, and I haven't decided on the turbo yet. I am hoping for around 550 rwhp, or possibly more. Any tips or advice would be great. Im young and Im here to learn and have a good time building this motor.

I would say if your going to spend the time for a girdle you better put rods in it aswell. Not sure there is much use fixing one weak link and not the other. I had a diecent amount of main cap walk on my factory motor. You have to do a line bored when installing the girdle also.

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would say if your going to spend the time for a girdle you better put rods in it aswell. Not sure there is much use fixing one weak link and not the other. I had a diecent amount of main cap walk on my factory motor. You have to do a line bored when installing the girdle also.
Allrite. Yeah I was probably going to get it line bored. Thats one thing that my dad mentioned to me. And I was really hoping I could get around having to get a set of rods. Damn they are expensive.

·
Lovin Life...
2,900 Posts
If you tear the motor apart, put good rods in it. Girdle ( my pick would be Carson's) and balance the rotating assembly. If you want to go cheap route for 300/200's just put studs, 910 springs and pushrods in it. Run it till it goes. In the meantime, you can build your old motor the way you want to.

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts
Any idea what turbo you want to go with?

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you tear the motor apart, put good rods in it. Girdle ( my pick would be Carson's) and balance the rotating assembly. If you want to go cheap route for 300/200's just put studs, 910 springs and pushrods in it. Run it till it goes. In the meantime, you can build your old motor the way you want to.
Im still thinking about the possibility of putting rods in this motor. I still haven't made up my mind completely. I know that 600hp would be pushing the forged rods, even if they were heated and cryo'd. How much is Carson's girdle? I hate to call alot of vendors, because I am nowhere near being to close to start putting this motor back together. I havent even taken it apart yet. And I just want some rough estimates on some things.

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any idea what turbo you want to go with?
Not a clue. I thought about a modded H2E, but wouldnt that be a little small for those injectors?

·
Lovin Life...
2,900 Posts
My point is why pull it apart? Throw injectors, big oil and the other stuff I mentioned onto the forged rod motor. Run it and enjoy it. While you are doing that, build up your old PMR motor the way you want to. If your forged rod motor blows, just take the new goodies and transfer it to your built motor.

I went through the same thing you are. PMR wanting to go with hybrid injectors. I wish I had just bought a forged rod motor, swap my PMR motor out, and called it a day.

On edit; modded h2e isn't enough air. H2e would be good for 100% nozzles.

·
28 cent #2
2,874 Posts
I am with what dom said you will be back having fun a lot cheaper and quicker and it will run fine on the stock 300k bottom end. You can slowly start on your old bottom end.

·
Supercharged
1,218 Posts
Allrite. Yeah I was probably going to get it line bored. Thats one thing that my dad mentioned to me. And I was really hoping I could get around having to get a set of rods. Damn they are expensive.
You have to have it line bored if you install a girdle. The girdle needs to be installed and to the proper torque on the main studs while its being line bored..

Like some have said above. I wouldn't do anything to the bottem end unless you plan a girdle and rods. Just put this motor in and run it til it lets go and start building a motor while you have fun with that one. Its kinda a waste building a motor and skipping out on fixing the weak parts. I know rods cost some bucks, but so does all the time and money building a motor with stock forged rods to have it let go. Better to do it once and do it right.

·
10.61 @ 128 MPH
2,297 Posts
Yep....like i said before, once you pull your heads off.....you are more prone to head gasket failure. I say, leave it alone, put comp 910's, smith brother pushrods in with it still all assembled. Do h11 studs. Pull one head bolt out replace it with a stud. Should last for a while, mine lasted for over a year @ 680hp....and is still good. Its on an engine stand in my garage still all assembled.

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay. You guys pretty much have me convinced to just leave it alone. I am just worried about any excess blowby. I need to get it on an engine dyno and see how she runs. I was taking the flexplate off tonite, to get it on the stand, and it turnt over easily. So Im pretty sure that it isn't locked. Thanks everyone. What turbo would you guys recommend? I still want a good DD, and I don't tow but about 1 month out of the year with it, other than my 1000lbs lawnmower and trailer everyweek.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Thats what I plan on doing with my 97 block, 300/200,push rods ,h11, valve springs. I still need to pull her out of the van. Hope to starting this project soon. I was also thinking of just swaping the motor as is and put all the good stuff on. David good luck ............

1 - 20 of 33 Posts