Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Needing Carbon Credits
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced all the front end bushings and ball joints, had the truck alligned, new tires installed and checked the tie rods for play. Now it feels like the steering has alot of play and the truck wants to wander. What gives?
2wd.

·
Senior Veteran Member
937 Posts
I am about to replace my intermediate steering shaft on mine. I found it has play in it. I thought it was in the column but wasn't.
Check that. I was told the bearings in the column tend to fail a lot too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you are underneath and you will see what is moving pretty easy.
The shop that aligned it should have noticed and fixed that. I would have. If it is just a steering box adjustment I would have just done it and not charged any more. Back in the days when garages took pride in their work that was an automatic thing. Like making sure the wheel was perfectly centered.
It's all about speed now.

I hope you didn't let them adjust caster and camber. In all my years doing alignments I've only had to adjust it once or twice and that was on wrecks where the frame was still a little bent after the frame shop finished. In all other cases something needed to be replaced that brought caster and camber right back where it belonged.

·
Needing Carbon Credits
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Double R - thanks for the insight. I agree with what you say, but there is no such thing as a good shop anymore. That is why so many of us are members of these forums. They did put a 2* caster/camber sleve on the passenger side and retained the FACTORY -1/2* on the driver side. I did not quite understand why since the front end is new. The truck does track straight and the wheel is centered, but it seems the steering is much looser that before.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, then go have your wife wiggle the steering wheel for you. It is easy to see what is wrong like that. It's probably the steering box since it was just aligned. They were supposed to do a good checkup of the steering components when it was aligned.

You can also jack up the wheels one at a time and put a big prybar under them to try to jack the tire up and down. Watch the ball joints when you do that. There is a spec for movement ad I think it's 1/8 of an inch but I don't like ANY movement.

·
Registered
298 Posts
prolly just need to tighten the meshload up on the gear box.

·
Registered
298 Posts
top of the gear box is a stud sticking out with a nut lockin its position.

set front end on jack stands so front wheels turn freely with steering wheel.

loosen lock nut and screw stud in a cpl turns with wheels headed straight. slowly turn steering wheel from stop to stop and see how she feels. careful not to get too tight.

hold stud and tighten down lock nut

1 - 9 of 9 Posts