Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, thanks for reading. My folks have owned a 93, 7.3 turbo, e4od since it was near new, so we've had accurate mileage records, it currently has 496,000 on it. However, the odometer never changed the 3 to a 4. Meaning it still reads 396,000 even though it has 496,000. I've puzzled over this for years, thought maybe someone here might know if that is just something the IDI trucks did. It's not really a problem, just a curiosity. Has anyone else had this happen?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
They all do that.........

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
All obs trucks. Gas, diesel, long as it has that digital odometer.
In some year I think they changed it, but I'm not totally sure.
Of course the f150 was redesigned with a whole new body style in 96. I think went back to the roller numbers. 97 was the last year for the obs in the f250/350. 99 was the "SD" that was the roller. I think 03 was back to digital. (This for the F250/350)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Yep. Odd for sure.
They only needed to add the top left leg if the 8.
Haven't seen a credible reason for it.

·
Administrator
8,414 Posts
91 had analog mileage and reset to zero at 99,999.
92 started digital mileage and at 399,999 would roll back to 300,000.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I won't worry about it anymore then. Maybe Ford didn't think they would last this long haha!

·
Administrator
8,414 Posts
in the old days, people rarely kept a car to 100k miles. average life of a car was 5 years, some lasting 10 years.
with the introduction of the diesels, over 100k miles became easy to do. then over 400k miles. now it is not unheard of to get 1million miles out of a properly maintained vehicle.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess my next question would be, is the mileage stored in the computer, or the odometer itself? If I change the dash will it mess up the mileage? (I'm not looking to change the dash, just for future reference)

·
Administrator
8,414 Posts
it depends. yes, the mileage is usually stored in the computer..
some relate that directly to the digital display in the speedometer, some do not.
i know on the 1999 to 2004 fords the speedometer does not read the same as the computer if the speedometer head is changed. my 04 has 34,342 miles on it, but the speedometer head was changed and reads 235,210, because the truck i got the speedometer out of had 200,868 miles on it
not sure on the 92-97 trucks, but i would assume they are the same as the newer trucks.

·
don't play well w others
4,091 Posts
Changing the odometer on my 96 put it to the donor truck
Had 125,000, new spedo had 094,000, and that's what it read when I lit it up for the first time, rolled on from there.

·
Administrator
8,414 Posts
thanks for the confirmation Charlie. i was pretty sure it did not transfer from computer to speedometer head, but was not positive.

i know some GM vehicles, and some of the large trucks reads off the computer, no matter what speedometer head read before it was installed.

·
Registered
626 Posts
yeah....my vehicle state inspection feller down the road told me, "hey nice truck with 330,000 miles on it" I said Bob, you don't remember saying that a few years back, this is the second time it has 330 k on it!

true statement.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah....my vehicle state inspection feller down the road told me, "hey nice truck with 330,000 miles on it" I said Bob, you don't remember saying that a few years back, this is the second time it has 330 k on it!

true statement.
That is hilarious!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts