Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 6.0L and currently it has a 4" turbo back exhaust, with a 3.5" downpipe. I have also installed an AFE Stage 2 Cold air intake. And on Friday I am installing an Edge CTS: Juice with Attitude. Now, my truck isnt studded, but I bought extended warranty, and right before I crossed the 100k mark, I had a ford dealership go in and replace my head bolts just in case. I'm at 175k now, and I haven't had any problems other than a FICM and a EBP sensor go out on me.

I'm pretty heavy on the accelerator.. constantly. I was just wondering if it was possible that the head bolts that they installed were better than the OEM head bolts, and maybe I will be okay to run the extreme tune all the time.

TL;DR I had head bolts replaced at 100k, want to know what the risk is of running extreme tune all the time.

·
JGman141
859 Posts
I have a 2006 6.0L and currently it has a 4" turbo back exhaust, with a 3.5" downpipe. I have also installed an AFE Stage 2 Cold air intake. And on Friday I am installing an Edge CTS: Juice with Attitude. Now, my truck isnt studded, but I bought extended warranty, and right before I crossed the 100k mark, I had a ford dealership go in and replace my head bolts just in case. I'm at 175k now, and I haven't had any problems other than a FICM and a EBP sensor go out on me.

I'm pretty heavy on the accelerator.. constantly. I was just wondering if it was possible that the head bolts that they installed were better than the OEM head bolts, and maybe I will be okay to run the extreme tune all the time.

TL;DR I had head bolts replaced at 100k, want to know what the risk is of running extreme tune all the time.
Stock trucks blow gaskets all the time, when you add a tune it just puts that more pressure on the head bolts. The new head bolts they put in are no better than the old ones. If I were you I wouldn't run an edge for tuner, sct is the way to go with the 6.0.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had my old 6.0 set up exactly the same, except I had a good tuner... SCT. I bought the truck with 115k and got rid of it around 175 or 180k and I beat on that truck every day, like excessively and the only thing that messed up was my FICM. I'm not saying that others or you maybe as fortunate. I would start saving for studs.

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,487 Posts
Dont do the EDGE i and many there have huge horror stories with them. They are great for monitoring but get a real programmer SCT is the best for these 6.0 in my opinion. My edge blew up on me on my way to the lake with my boat behind me and it made it so my truck wouldn't turn off even with the key out and my turbo wouldn't spool up. Luckily a great local mechanic came to the rescue and unhooked the whole thing and was able to get my truck back to stock. EDGE just tricks the computer not a actual full tune. The mechanic that came out that day talked me into a SCT and I love it he said he has seen EDGEs blow up a lot and changed out 100s of them for SCTs on the 6.0 and not once has had it happen the other way around. I also have done a lot to my truck and have stock head bolts with no issues as of yet and I'm at 120,000 miles I don't best the hell out of my truck though and have come to terms that I'm sure one day I will have to replace them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts