Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
i always get the impression pickuptrucks.com is all about who is faster in the 1/4. Personally i want reliability, function, towing, hauling and mileage. Which adds up to a Ford from my experience. I am really interested in their shoot out between the 2011 f350 and 3500 Chevy coming out on Nov 15th, the trucks are evenly equipped and have 3:73 gears to minimize all the whining at the end when they have different axle ratios. This started when Chevy challenged Ford to a shoot out in the Rockies (high altitude) and ford declined, apparently GM bought a new Ford ( your tax dollars at work) to go ahead and do the test anyways with out Ford. Even if Chevy wins I will still buy a Ford as i don't like the Chevy styling, the cheapo interiors, the
IFS, or the paper thin sheet metal. I have to admit though Chevy had built their best truck to date

·
Registered
410 Posts
i always get the impression pickuptrucks.com is all about who is faster in the 1/4. Personally i want reliability, function, towing, hauling and mileage. Which adds up to a Ford from my experience. I am really interested in their shoot out between the 2011 f350 and 3500 Chevy coming out on Nov 15th, the trucks are evenly equipped and have 3:73 gears to minimize all the whining at the end when they have different axle ratios. This started when Chevy challenged Ford to a shoot out in the Rockies (high altitude) and ford declined, apparently GM bought a new Ford ( your tax dollars at work) to go ahead and do the test anyways with out Ford. Even if Chevy wins I will still buy a Ford as i don't like the Chevy styling, the cheapo interiors, the
IFS, or the paper thin sheet metal. I have to admit though Chevy had built their best truck to date
That's two head to head challenges now that Ford has declined to participate in with Chevy, the first one being a tug-o-war. I'm sure that just gives all sorts of fuel for the bow tie crowd. :blah:

·
Registered
259 Posts
You are not alone. Hence why Ford sells the most heavy-duty pickups.

·
Village Idiot
1,054 Posts
Anybody seen the new Max and Al commercials? Boy have I lost respect for those 2 actors! The new batch of Chevy commercials are definitely out there, but I guess my intelligence level could possibly be just slightly above that of their target audience.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Anybody seen the new Max and Al commercials? Boy have I lost respect for those 2 actors! The new batch of Chevy commercials are definitely out there, but I guess my intelligence level could possibly be just slightly above that of their target audience.
the funny thing about those GM max and al commercials is only chevy guys like em lol....duramax site there is a thread going there and they all think its Hilarius, same on the pickuptruck.com site, every one else for the most part thinks they are lame. Thought GM was trying to lure in new chevy buyers not turn them off and entertain the current diehard chev guys :confused:

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
I drove a new 6.7 and a new lml yesterday. The engine and trans in the 6.7 seemed very confused.the 6.7 also woul feel very strong the instant it down shifted but it kinda fell on it's face.the dmax didn't have that instant spoolup but then pulled harder. In 2006 ford did recieve 18,billion dollar loan. So go buy a Toyota that would probably put more money back in the economy.
Ive driven both of the new trucks. Ive spent the last two months in a 2011 2500hd dmax cc/lb and its improved but its still not on the same level.

Im happy gettin into my 'wore' out 2000 at the end of the day after riding in that. The 2011 ford I testdrove for the better part of a week was WAAAAAAAY nicer than the new Chevy. The new Denali hd is the only possible one that would tempt me but then I remember I dont want all the gadgetry. Leather is fine but the rest is [email protected] I dont use.

Im not looking to buy after all things considered but were that to change tomorrow it'd be the sd.

The duramax/ford comp you made was believable but it wasnt my experience. Ive spent more time in chevy duramaxes than most people who own them and like them. The new truck isnt a saint like the reports are claiming. The backseat is the worst part. I rode back there and it was horrible. Ive not ridden in the back of the new sd cc so I cant comment there. It seems to be winning best daily driver segments in publications that do heads up comparisons of ford/ram/gm. OR so it seems to me...

eh, whatever...IM tired of the debate already. BUt :psnb: :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yea those commercials are lame, but funny. And your not gonna convince me that you would have such a hatred for them if it was reversed and mike Rowe was doin the same thing for ford. Hush little powerstroke don't say a word...:D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Count gm truck chevy and gmc,then who sells most?
If they outsold the competition (Dodge and Ford), why is the company in such bad shape?? Superduties are constantly flying off the lots, while GM dealerships rarely even carry HD's that are diesels in stock...:confused:

·
Village Idiot
1,054 Posts
Count gm truck chevy and gmc,then who sells most?
Well as of July (the latest year to date figures I could find for Ford), GM sold a total of approximately 268,000 trucks GMC & Chevy combined. YTD sales for the F-Series was nearly 291,000 for the same 7 months. Most every press I read says that Ford has claimed over 50% of the light truck market. That means that they out-sell Dodge, GMC and Chevy all combined!

I wish I could find more current numbers as the Superduty has only gained sales momentum since July!

EDIT: I just found sales figures up to the end of September. The "combine GMC and Chevy" argument still doesn't hold water. Ford YTD: 385,879 GM (total) YTD: 357,950. I have not yet been able to locate Dodge figures.

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
I junked my GMC 2010 2500hd z71 4x4(6.0 Gasser) because it rattled going down dirt roads the traction control is a pain in the ass if you are trying to pull something offroad in 2wd. The seals started to leak and the trany temp was constantly around 250.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yea it is much harder to get a good deal on a gm HD truck and ford does have much better marketing. The local ford lot has at least 6 diesel pickups at any given time and the chevy lot does good to get that many in an entire year. My boss is actually considering buying an f450 because they are easier to get a good deal on than a 3500 chevy even tho he likes the gm truck and drive train better. Gm does a very lousy job of keeping up with demand and it probly costs them more in sales than any thing else.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well as of July (the latest year to date figures I could find for Ford), GM sold a total of approximately 268,000 trucks GMC & Chevy combined. YTD sales for the F-Series was nearly 291,000 for the same 7 months. Most every press I read says that Ford has claimed over 50% of the light truck market. That means that they out-sell Dodge, GMC and Chevy all combined!

I wish I could find more current numbers as the Superduty has only gained sales momentum since July!

EDIT: I just found sales figures up to the end of September. The "combine GMC and Chevy" argument still doesn't hold water. Ford YTD: 385,879 GM (total) YTD: 357,950. I have not yet been able to locate Dodge figures.
That did change for the first time since the bailout,nothing to do with quality.ford was also bailed in 06, 18,billion.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
I think I can give a fair comparison since buying history wise Im a chevy/gmc person. My F250, F100 and F150 all were bought within 1 year after owning the follow gm products.

1998 gmc 1500 4x4
1985 full size blazer
1984 s10 blazer
1981 3/4 ton suburban
1978 gm pickup
1977 chevy pickup
1975 chevy pickup
1973 chevy pickup
1965 chevy pickup

So how do my recent ford purchases compare?

The 1977 F100 is fun offroad but doesnt do anything for me as far as it being better than the chevy. Id rate it equal to anything in that year range.

The 1991 F150 drives better than the chevy, I like the interior of the chevy better as the chevies around that year have the stalk dimmer starting much earlier. Gauge layout and stereo is better in the chevy to me. But the driving victory for the 2wd F150 really suprised me how much better it was over the gm trucks.

Now for the F250. My 98 gmc 4x4 had trans issues at 80k miles which required me to rebuild it and till I modded the trans didnt shift worth a flip. You would not believe how much money gm has raked in over a design flaw they know about in the 4L60E trans that requires nothing more than a $50 shift kit to fix forever. Gm knows about it but likes selling those $1500 to $2500 trans's much more than doing whats right.

My gm's offroad abilities were a joke BUT it was a long wheel base regular cab 4x4. Ive stuck that truck in the front yard so many times its not even funny. My friends 98 extended cab short bed 1500 doesnt seem to have the same problems.

My F250 has 308,000 miles or more on it now. It drives as good as my 98 gmc did after I spent a fortune on aftermarket parts for it. But I will give the highway driving edge to the gmc as it was more car like. But the second you leave the pavement my 2002 F250 still drives great and the gmc felt more like a boat on choppy water.

Offroad my F250 will go places my gmc wouldnt even get close enough to know about let alone go thru. My F250 has never been stuck in the front yard and has never embarrased me like the gmc did. Ive even dropped the back tires off a cliff on my F250 with nothing touching the ground except the front tires and the nerf bars. My gmc would of needed a wrecker. My F250 just needed me to lock the front hubs in and it pulled the frame along the ground till the back tires were back up on the bluff.

I trust my F250. I was scared of my gmc leaving me stranded if 4x4 was needed. Ive had to pull people out with my s10 before I got the F250 since my gmc would just sit there and spin trying to pull someone out.

Interior wise my 98 was nice creature comfort wise. The F250 has a better heater and a better a/c than it had. I cant really compare much past this as my gmc was a regular cab and the F250 is a crew cab.

Before I bought my F250 I had parked my gmc because I couldnt afford to drive it to be honest. I never even notice keeping fuel in the F250 as it gets a ton better mpg than the gmc did.

Ford has improved the interiors of each model of the F series over and over. GM is stuck in the past. Once they hit 1995 or so they stopped making any real improvements. You can drive a late 90's gm and a 2011 and it looks like youve only changed one model year with minor changes.

From 1997 or so in the F series to 2011 its like a different manufacturer's interior. Thats progress and thats having a clue and thats how you stay #1.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That did change for the first time since the bailout,nothing to do with quality.ford was also bailed in 06, 18,billion.
big difference from borrowing 18 billion to restructure at Ford then getting a 56.7 billion dollar bail out to get out of bankrupcy for GM, your comparing apples to oranges

·
Registered
211 Posts
big difference from borrowing 18 billion to restructure at Ford then getting a 56.7 billion dollar bail out to get out of bankrupcy for GM, your comparing apples to oranges
Ford had to sell a Volvo,jaguaur,and how many more to keep from bankrupcy.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts