Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
Recently just got an 03 6.0L Powerstroke. The owner i bought it from highly recommended running REV-X every other oil change. When picking the truck up he mentioned he had heard some great things about archoil too and it would be something to look up. I was wondering if anyone had experience with either of these or which they'd recommend. Also is running the fuel additive just as helpful? Thanks ahead for the help!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input!

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
ahh chit

it's not Rev-x with the money back guarantee sorry

it's HSS AKA hotshots secret stiction eliminator

Hot Shots Secret Stiction Eliminator

I think Rev-x suggest using a bottle at every oil change and HSS is use when needed for stiction issues

I ran Archoil last time and when I sent in my oil analysis I forgot to mention the additive but they new right off the bat I had used one LOL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay thanks.
The guy i had bought the truck from said he used Rev-x with every other oil change and that its highly suggested to use it in that manner in the 6.0. I was just curious of other opinions on additives

·
Registered
3 Posts
right, Hot Shot's Secret is the one with the guarantee. They only recommend a quart every 4th oil change after the first 2 qts. because it's a higher cleaning vs. lubricant ratio than Rev X apparently?

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
I don't think that's true

I think HSS says use one bottle for the first go round then as needed in the future or use a 1/2 bottle as a preventative measure at oil changes

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
Typical Applications and Mixtures:

Hot Shot's Secret is made for diesel engines only. We recommend using with a fresh oil change, ideally with a full synthetic motor oil. Hot Shot's Secret is made up of 100% additives so it can stay in the oil for the entire oil change.

Directions:

For initial cleanup in pickup trucks, add 1 bottle per oil change replacing 2 quarts of oil; for prevention, use half a bottle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Using regular oil and filters and following the Dealers Oil Change Interval will get you using REV-X to clean up your dirty engine, Ever think about Root Cause?
Regular Oil and Filters cost more money at the end of the day, EVERY DAY!

Javier

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I run full synthetic oil and was told sticking with the motorcraft oil filters b/c of how picky the engine can be. Especially with the winter coming up and the temps dropping i want to make sure everything is clear and there is no stiction issues. From what i've seen rev-x seems to be more popular and trusted than HSS. Since i'm new to the diesel engine i wanted to see what everyone had to say about it

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you wanna be for sure, do a little more info gathering. It won't hurt you one bit. Stiction is a fact with 6.0’s. especially in colder temps. Rev-x has a good rep! As does HSS, But do yourself a favor and look more into Archoil!!!

I just started using it, and my OBS, is a lot quieter! Did a lot of reading and Archoil was what I went with. Just like you, recently got into a diesel OBS, Like that style better and with a 7.3 (my preference). And I wanted some additional protection. Especially since OIL is a major player in the operation of our trucks. Especially 6.0's!!! That High pressure just tears that oil apart! A good additive with a good filter and good oil = Many happy miles. And Archoil is almost half the cost!

Take a look and do some info gathering.
Look here

I bought from "Archoil Spokane" and spoke with Harry. He apparently is a long time Mercedes Benz "big" engine/diesel mechanic. And he stumbled upon this product about 2 years ago and did Tons of research. When at the Archoil site, there is a long list of dealers you can locate on the left hand column. Pretty impressive. Find Archoil Spokane and give them a call. Harry is a great person to work with and can answer any question you may have. He's is savvy about the other products as well as he has used them as well.

I only know this because of my info gathering and came across his name. If you lurk around other forums, there is a Huge thread about Archoil. IIRC, it was at "The Garage". Thread was called like Something: Rev-x exposed?

Anyway, good luck in whatever you start using.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just started using Archoil this past week, and after 200 miles I can tell a big difference in my cold engine performance, and better shifting. I am also trying some of their fuel additive. I have only ran 1/2 tank of fuel thus far, but we will see. They have good customer service as well. I only received half of my order, so I made a call, they returned my call early next day, apologized, sent the other half of my order and sent me some free gun oil to try as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just started using AR9100...AMAZING stuff. Fixed my serious stiction issues literally instantly. Cold starts are no longer an issue and I have power without waiting for engine temps to get to normal operating range. Not sure about Rev X as I've never used it...I chose AR9100 as its half the price and It works for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1 for the AR9100! Have had great luck with it, especially with cold starts! I have used HSS before with no luck, and the AR9100 is cheaper!

·
scouts out...
246 Posts
Archoil all the way, nothing has shown better gains in cold weather and by cold I mean -30 wyoming cold. Now that it's warming up outside I've seen improvements else where to. My truck is a lot more quiet and fuel mileage seemed to go up just a tad. If nothing else I'd still use it just because of how much it helped my engine in the winter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts