Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all ive been useing motor craft 15-40 oil and filter sence i got the truck but is there a better oil to use and is it worth useing rev-x? and does anyone know if it increases gas milage? thank you all for your input

·
matt
911 Posts
rev-x is good stuff. imo no its not worth it. any good 5w-40 oil will work great for stiction. keep using the same filter though! theres a sticky posted at the top of the form about ''PHP's rev-x findings'' in a 6.0 powerstroke. hope this helps

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
To give a little perspective on what I have noticed, I have used Amsoil 15w-40 up until a year ago and I have used it since my first oil change on the truck and I have had the truck since it had 4 miles on it. Well I switched to 5w-40 Amsoil and noticed that the truck ran a little quieter and didnt lope as bad when it was cold out. Then I added in some rev-x and the truck would start and run great at temps as low as 18F (I havent been able to test below that). Rev-X is definitely some snake oil that has actually done what it claimed to be able to do but it IS expensive. I also have not been able to see any real gains in MPG. For the money I would only run it in the winter if you decide to run it at all and right now I am trying this stuff called Archoil AR9100. It is much cheaper than Rev-X and so far seems to be doing just as good of a job. I am going to keep running it because it is about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of Rev-X. It can be found at Archoil brings advanced solutions to lubrication, fuel and corrosion. Nanoborate grease, Nano Borate Oil, Nano Particles, Corrosion, Rust, MotorSilk, LubriSilk,Turkey, Biodegradable Engine, Motor Treatment Lubricants, Motor Silk, Boron CLS Bond Lubricants - Evergreen America Corporation

I should note that I recommend switching to a high quality synthetic 5w-40 oil and keep using the motorcraft filters. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have used Amsoil Series 3000 5W/30 for only gawd knows how long.

Even as a preferred customer, it's still too expensive.

I just pulled my injectors out, had them rebuilt into bigger units, and also pulled out my oil cooler for some modifications for a second hpop...

Drained and sucked out all the Amsoil Series 3000, and replaced with Shell Rotella T6 synthetic.

Half the price of Amsoil...I hope the T6 stuff is good enough...

·
1,549 Posts
I think Mobil 1 would be fine to use.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
mobil 1, and Valvoline premium blue extreme is good stuff. I'm like Ivan, i've been using Amsoil for a very long time...series 3000 5w-30 and the 5w-40. I have no complaints with the amsoil and i'm also a preferred customer and get it at a lower price, but like Ivan said...it's still pricey. I think with tax and shipping for 4 gallons of 5w-40 and a Eabp100 by-pass filter came to around $175. I also use Archoil's AR9100 friction modifier in the oil. I use to run the rev-x, but this stuff is half the price and does the same thing.

·
siksix0
170 Posts
Where can u get it?"

·
1,549 Posts
Ever Green America

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have also been using amsoil 5 w30 series 3000 since as long as I can remember use it in my 06 f30 04 f350 in our 08 navi and #### you guys might shoot me for this I even use it in our lawn mower lol. I am not a preferred customer but rather a commercial cstomer might be the same pricing but not sure and I buy it buy the barrel, and can write it off also so really doesn`t make it all too pricey. Love the stuff.

·
1,549 Posts
Yea buddy I do the same thing. I run amsoil in my little Briggs and Stratton lawn mower, all my vehicles, my Harley, and even my air compressor. Good stuff for sure.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright i was taln to my budy slash mechinac and he said i hsould try mobil 1 delvac or something like that he said rotella seems to make the fords run ruffer so thank you all for that info but 15-40 is a nogo and even at summer temps i should run a 5-40??

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh oil additive what about that sure shots stuff i bought it and used it and in that same oil change my cam sensor crank sensor ficm all took and #### then the hot start issue so i was pissed at it from bringen my bad juju but i still have a gallon of the stuff heh should i give it a shot again??

·
1,549 Posts
Hot Shots Secret is a WASTE of money. I have heard of too many people who used it with NO noticable difference in the way their motor ran.

As far as Mobil 1 goes, I would go with their Fully Synthetic 5w-40 over the Delvac. JMO.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok and the valvonine? not as good and mobil 1? i know valvoline is a very good oil but not so much for the diesel end? and no rev x unless the mobil one doesnt help the sticky injector alright and i can get rev x anytime theres a dealership 10 mins from me who sells it so its not that big of a deal on that end my injector onyl sticky sometimes anyway shes a moody one the old black [email protected] is what my boss calls my truck heh but thats jsut cuase hes jealous sence he has a 7.3!

·
1,549 Posts
Before I became an Amsoil man I was a Mobil 1 man so naturally that is where I would suggest you go if not Amsoild but I have heard that folks like Valvoline.

·
1,549 Posts
I use motorcraft sp but I have heard Amsoil ATF is good stuff but let's use a different thread for this ok??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts