Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is Damb!:eek: This is the prefect towing setup. (at least in my eyes)

A month ago when we installed the turbo, it had the 1.15 housing on it. I had wanted to use the 1.01, but the turbo came w the 1.15 so I kept it. It felt pretty responsive, and made boost easily, but the EGTs were up a bit on the bottom end compared to the 66mm modded H2 that it replaced. What I did notice though, was that past 10-12psi, the EGTs would level out at around 1050. Bosst/ BP would stay close up until 8-10psi, then boost would climb faster than the BP. 12psi/10BP, 15psi/12BP, 20psi/15BP. Basically, the turbo was showing a positive delta, and still responsive on the bottom. The EGTs were still bothering me though, so the week before Thanksgiving, I decided to swap the 1.15 housing for a 1.01. I was surprised that the EGTs didn't change hardly at all. It may have lit a tad better, but not much better. The boost/BP numbers stayed 1:1 up to around 15psi. Then they started following a positive delta curve like the 1.15 housing. It did seem to feel a bit restrictive in the mid range compared to the 1.15, but that could have been in my head. I had to tow my trailer home from the job site in preparation for the trip, so this would be a good test to the tighter housing, and the 42 in general as a towing turbo. (This was the first time I towed anything heavy w the 42. My trailer setup grosses out at 24k w the truck)

Well I was not impressed, It made a ton of heat, and towed for crap.:eek: I couldn't even use OD on the flat, because the EGTs would climb to 1250 too fast. I was pissed, worried, and started thinking that I got too large of a turbo for towing. I thought about it some more, and decided to go back to the 1.15 housing two days before Turkey day. I figured that it couldn't be any worse than the tight housing, so I had nothing to lose.

What a night and day difference. The bigger housing stayed at 800 shifting though the gears into 3rd. Once in third, it would hold [email protected], and just cruised effortlessly. On the grades that I'd normally drop to 40-45mph w the H2, I cruised up @60/2500RPM in 3rd. The water hardly came on and EGTs stayed around 1100. I was passing everything from Dmax's and Dodge's w baby trailers to big 450HP pusher motorhomes. I was temped to shift into OD, but was so happy w the way it was running, that I decided not to. On the flats, I used OD, and I could cruise @75+ w/no issues. The water would come on and off, but held the EGTs to 1050. I climbed a couple moderate grades in OD, w the water on the whole time. EGTs still stayed at 1100-1150, and I crested @75. This has got the be the best towing setup out there. I cannot believe how well it tows, and I know I mileage is way up. It looks like I averaged about 10mpg during the trip.

I am still blown away w how well this combo towed, and can't wait to head out again.;) I'm still surprised at the difference in the two housings, but I'm glad I tried both. My results make me wonder why so many guys are using the tighter housings w the big turbos:shrug:

Sean

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What injectors are you running with the turbo?
Swamps 250/80. It's an awesome injector. I like it way better than the 250/30 that it replaced. It feels more drivable, and smoother. I also forget to mention that there is absolutely no smoke w these guys in the DD and tow tunes. It's a great match w the turbo.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Very nice, I'm still trying to figure out what turbo I want. May go with a BFH. Swamps has my Bcodes and they are going to be around 300cc. Do you guys think that the BB turbos are a much better turbo for daily driving? Do they spool a lot faster? I was maybe looking at going with the 4202r if I do go with a Garrett. I also have the heads that ImElmo had on his Orange truck so they are pretty ported and should help the turbo spool a bit.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No wastegate. Just the 1.15 housing. I'm thinking about putting an F1 in front of the turbo. If I do that, then I'll use a wastegate and probably go to the 1.28 housing.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
No wastegate. Just the 1.15 housing. I'm thinking about putting an F1 in front of the turbo. If I do that, then I'll use a wastegate and probably go to the 1.28 housing.
Ok cool, sounds like a nice set up.

·
Supercharged
1,218 Posts
Which F1?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Go for the f3 LOL you can always turn a big charger down, but it's much more difficult and less productive trying to turn a small charger up LOL LOL LOL

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another thing that I forgot to mention is how quiet the 42 is. I would put it in the same cat. as an H2. Maybe a bit quieter. You hear it sucking under boost, but no whine like a 38r. Another cool thing about it is how it spools down when you turn off the key. You can hear it for close to 30sec.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts