Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, brand newbie to the forum here! I have a set of cracked bellows on my 08' f350 up-pipes… I have already bought a set of replacements (Rudy's), and now I'm trying to determine the easiest way to change them. If I remove the body mount bolts, can I lift the cab enough without disconnecting & removing everything? Or is it easier to drop the tranny(auto)? It looks as though if I drop the tranny, I'll still have trouble getting the bolts out at the turbo… Also, I don't have access to a car hoist, so I would likely jack/block the cab to raise it. Any insight or experience would be great.

·
09 6.4
989 Posts
you should be able to swap the pipes with cab down and tranny in. that is if you can get the bolts on the turbo loose. otherwise id choose to pull the trans then raising the cab

·
Registered
620 Posts
You have to drop the transmission, the turbo down pipe will not clear the body and transmission. If it were not for the down pipe you could change the turbo inlet pipes without dropping trans, that is if you can get them loose. You will have access to all bolts with transmission out. Use a good 6 point socket so you don't round the bolts off. Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Anti-seize for future work is always a good idea.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I prefer to lift the cab doing y-pipes just for the simple fact nothing is tight and if you have a issue with a bolt (ALMOST always.......) its really easy to work with when the cabs up in the air. But no you would have to jack it up pretty high to get enough clearance. If you don't have a lift I would suggest just drop the trans. They are extremely easy trans to drop about 30 minutes n down.

Side note, remember that there is 8 torque converter bolts not 6 like on a 6blow

·
Registered
518 Posts
It can be done with the cab on and trans in without too much problems. I have done it now on several 6.4l's this way. Eaisest to get the egr pipe out of the way first and then just take the pipes out the passenger side of the engine bay. It can be done and really isn't that bad as long as you can get the bolts on the backside of the turbos loose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, think I'll try dropping the tranny... I can't fit my hands behind the turbo to get the bolts out. What a pain in the ass, but I just hate taking anything to a shop, lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It can be done with the cab on and trans in without too much problems. I have done it now on several 6.4l's this way. Eaisest to get the egr pipe out of the way first and then just take the pipes out the passenger side of the engine bay. It can be done and really isn't that bad as long as you can get the bolts on the backside of the turbos loose.
How do you get to the bolts on the backside of the turbo? I've tried all kinds of wrenches, ratchets, swivels, flex handles, extensions etc... Do you loosen the turbo?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Snapon makes a special socket..... Its a shallow 10 with a skinny middle (Kind of like a build in extension) and 3/8s attachment. ONLY use a 6 point on these. If not your going to be hating life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, got em changed... I dropped the tranny & it took me a little over a day by myself in my driveway. Needless to say, it was a learning experience lol! Broke one manifold stud & had to weld it to get it out. I took a few pics, so I'll throw them up when I get a chance, with a few tips for anyone who hasn't done the job yet...

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, got em changed... I dropped the tranny & it took me a little over a day by myself in my driveway. Needless to say, it was a learning experience lol! Broke one manifold stud & had to weld it to get it out. I took a few pics, so I'll throw them up when I get a chance, with a few tips for anyone who hasn't done the job yet...
Gettn ready to get on mine bro, anticipating those tips!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the dreaded black puff on my firewall but can't pinpoint the source. I'm just assuming the pipes are where it's comin from

·
Registered
3 Posts
The system electronically controlled a rear rack that was behind the rear wheels. At low speeds (of up to 35 km/h), the rear wheels would move in the opposite direction to the front wheels, aiding parking and U-turns by lowering the turning circle. Above these speeds, the rear wheels would move in the same direction as the fronts, meaning control during high speed maneuvers such as lane changes or cornering was improved. Either way, the turning angle of the rear wheels was slight at just five degrees, a measurement Mazda determined to be optimally effective and natural to human sensitivity.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd really like to see them tranny drop pics if u can post em up. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks, brand newbie to the forum here! I have a set of cracked bellows on my 08' f350 up-pipes… I have already bought a set of replacements (Rudy's), and now I'm trying to determine the easiest way to change them. If I remove the body mount bolts, can I lift the cab enough without disconnecting & removing everything? Or is it easier to drop the tranny(auto)? It looks as though if I drop the tranny, I'll still have trouble getting the bolts out at the turbo… Also, I don't have access to a car hoist, so I would likely jack/block the cab to raise it. Any insight or experience would be great.
Is there such a thing as up pipe adaptors?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts