Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my EGR cooler, cleaned the EGR, scrapped out the loose carbon and replaced the upper fuel filter. I vacuumed everything and cleaned all the gasket surfaces with Scotch Brite and carb cleaner.

Now the truck won't start. It cranks like it is almost hydrolocked. When I first started cranking it over I thought it might have carbon on a valve. Also tried a little starting fluid but nothing.

Where do I start on troubleshooting this thing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More info, the truck ran before I replaced the EGR cooler. The EGR cooler was leaking externally and losing coolant.

The fuel filter cap was stuck and I broke it to get it off and replaced it with an aluminum cap and new filter. The filter was very old and in bad shape.

I have previously replaced the HPOP, nipple cups, o-rings and all the injector o-rings about 2 years ago(<20000miles ago.)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I would try to key cycle 5 or 6 times, the 6.0 does start easy after fuel filter changes.

I can't think of anything you could have done to make it not start

Pass on starting fluid, can only harm things

Charge your batteries

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,433 Posts
I am going to say it again .......

Old filters will result in reduced fuel pressure to the injectors. Low fuel pressure can ruin injectors. In todays environment, with 6.0L horror stories all over the internet, etc", I do not understand how any 6.0L owner can allow their fuel or oil filters to get "old and in bad shape".

Your issue very easily can be damaged injectors.

Using starting fluid with a hydrolocked engine just means you will have other engine problems to deal with. At a minimum you can bend a push tube.

troubleshooting should begin with a scan tool that is also very thorough at reading codes. ForScan and ForScan Lite are two of the best choices. The smartphone version (ForScan Lite) only costs $6 and the OBDII adapter can be had for $35 for Android phones. The iphone adapters MIGHT cost up to $85, but people can often times "make do" with a $35 BAFX WiFi adapter (the only issue is that ForScan does not support ELM devices anymore if a glitch is encountered).

Lastly, every 6.0L owner needs a fuel pressure gauge so they can avoid COSTLY injector damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's always the simple stuff. I bought 2 new batteries and it cranks like it never has before. It took a bit to purge the injectors but starts and runs great.

I think the batteries were way weaker than I realized and when it was coming up on compression it was slowing the engine down, what I was thinking was hydrolocking.

Anyway, thanks again for all the feedback. I don't know what we did before forums.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The trick is breaking the up tubes loose from the exhaust manifold on the passenger side and breaking the EGR mounting bolts loose before tightening V-band. This gives enough wiggle for things to align.

One more 6.0L back from the dead!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts