Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a short story long, I want a ZTR mower. I have a rough yard and don't want a homeowner model. I have found one for reasonable money, with low hours but some "issues".

The biggest issue being, the left side transaxle leaks. It's a Hydro Gear IZT; one of the self contained pump - motor unit that is sealed and non serviceable.

I don't think it's just a seal gone bad.... the left rear tire hanging on this transaxle appeared to have a tad of camber to it. That says to me that a bearing has gone bad or the axle shaft is worn down.

Anybody ever had one of these apart? This model has been discontinued and replaced with the EZT, which I doubt would bolt up.

Anybody ever repaired one of these? Owner has a manual with all the necessary info.... just wondering if I'll pull a housing cover off and have 37 parts fall out into a pile.....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, if anybody cares, I bought the guy's mower. the Hydro-Gear manual is excellent, and parts are readily available. Had a bearing go down and send some parts thru the transmission; however the internal filter caught them and the pump / motor combo isn't hurt. It appears that my ignorant self will be able to repair this $677 transmission for less than $100.

Food for thought.... I've read that Hydro Gear IZTs are designed for 1000 hours.... I'm going to install drain plugs so I can service them, and run synthetic oil and see what happens.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.