Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nicely done. What do you do with the 9 containers (4.5 Gallons) of settled liquids? Send to recyclers? Do you try and reprocess? Seems like a great deal of waste left over for a small batch of fuel settled (a little over 20% loss). When I centrifuge I've never had that much waste on such a small run. I will typically end up with about 4 gallons of waste when I process 400 liters and lose about 3.8% to sludge, sediments, and water when I heat it to 176F and spin it at 6000 rpm.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That batch of WMO blend was particularly sludgy. I actually extracted 5-gallon (20L) of sludge from it.

I put my sludge into a 5-gallon (20L) container and top it off with the gasoline (petrol) I use to back-flush my filters with. I let that sit for about a week, then I pour the thin liquid off my sludge bucket and on top of the next batch of blend I make. Doing that I tend to recycle most of the oil and end up with less than 1% loss.

·
Registered
444 Posts
have you ever considered putting the tank under vacuum? Or heating the mixture to help separate the fluids?

We vacuum press transformers so we do this quite often. Pretty neat

·
Registered
15 Posts
Heating the mix will cook off the RUG and is potentially a serious fire hazard....I'm very curious about the vacuum..... How is that accomplished? I heat my wmo before I blend, but have never even heard of putting it under a vacuum to separate the solids and water. My new process is even slower and after heating and centrifuging 2.5 gallons of wmo per hour I was able to extract 6oz of water from 150 liters (about 40 gallons). I have yet to open the centrifuge to see the sludge and solids because it's still running.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm only applying knowledge I have on transformer refurb.. what is a "RUG"? I'm not talking about alot of heat but even heating it up to 90-120 degrees would help alot.

By putting the mixture under vacuum you can pull it out contaminates. This is more for pulling all the contamination out of the transformer can. If you are using a centrifuge to get out contamination I'd say you are gonna remove a boat load. I would try to get the mixture as thin as possible buy filtering it at the highest temp possible w/out the danger of fire..

When we press a unit we will suck the oil from the bottom of the transformer thru a clay bar which removes the moisture/water and then thru a filter then back into the top of the transformer. We heat it up to 190 degrees. You don't wanna stand on top of it haha..

·
Banned
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm only applying knowledge I have on transformer refurb.. what is a "RUG"? I'm not talking about alot of heat but even heating it up to 90-120 degrees would help alot.

By putting the mixture under vacuum you can pull it out contaminates. This is more for pulling all the contamination out of the transformer can. If you are using a centrifuge to get out contamination I'd say you are gonna remove a boat load. I would try to get the mixture as thin as possible buy filtering it at the highest temp possible w/out the danger of fire..

When we press a unit we will suck the oil from the bottom of the transformer thru a clay bar which removes the moisture/water and then thru a filter then back into the top of the transformer. We heat it up to 190 degrees. You don't wanna stand on top of it haha..
jkidd, your vacuum method sounds like the supper sucker people have been discussing. It is just a way to move sludgy oil, but not a way to clean it up. Yes, people here do heat their oil to de-water it and thin it out for filtering and centrifuging; however, those who blend have found blending first, then settling for 3 days saves a lot of effort, as KMakar is demonstrating how hard one can work on cleaning up waste oil doing it the hard way.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The vacuum method is only one part of the system. I would have a filtering apparatus in place somewhere to clean.

I wouldn't use heat to remove water. It's too inefficient. Costs alot to heat. I would let gravity do it's job in regards to water.

I think a centrifuging the mix is your most cost effective way. Keep in mind my vacpress cost me over $100k. I charge about $10k per large unit to clean. That said I can clean the oil to a level lower than when it comes out of the refinery. I pull so much water out that it equates to 1 drop of water per 28k gallons of oil. refinery oils usually have 1 cup-1 gallon per 7500 gallons (1 tanker)

My buddy showed me this thread and I thought it was neat.

Not trying to say the OP is doing it wrong.. It's simple gravity filtering.. and it's the cheapest way.. gravity is free.

I would do what the OP did then take that mix and heat it up and centrifuge it. Even heating it from room temp (60-70 degrees) to somewhere around 100 degrees will make a huge difference in viscosity.

A clay bar set up could also be something to look into for filtering out water.. they work like a champ and you can build them yourself

·
Registered
43 Posts
A clay bar set up could also be something to look into for filtering out water.. they work like a champ and you can build them yourself

well, i'm very curious, please tell me more?!?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I guess I'm doing it the hard way then. I heat and centrifuge and I have yet to have any problems with my mix. RUG = Regular Unleaded Gas. I didn't think that heating it to get the moisture out was inefficient. The heater I use is about the size of a tube from a roll of paper towels, and yes my oil is clean and void of water. I consider myself very new to alternative fuels (only doing it for between 6 months and a year) and am very open to ideas. I have only been reading about blending RUG and WMO for 2 maybe 3 weeks and see it as very viable solution to mixing with D2 and WMO 50% / 50%. I may try blending first on the next batch I create (and not heating it) to see how much drops out. I will continue to centrifuge as I believe that it is the cleanest I can get the oil with a minimal amount of intervention.

I am very curious however about using a clay bar to remove water. Can you elaborate?

·
Banned
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My buddy showed me this thread and I thought it was neat.
Good to have you on here, but most of us are blending gasoline (RUG) with our waste oil blends anyway, and most of us have found that blending gasoline with waste oil forces water and particulate out of solution rapidly, so we blend it first, then settle, then we drain most of the water and particulate off before filtering and/or centrifuging.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts