Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone just buy the CFM intake and run the EGR off tunes from Spartan?

I am thinking about doing that then machining out my own threaded blocker plate for the exhaust entrance on the horizontal cooler. Then machine out some plugs for the coolant lines running into the coolers and EGR.

This would allow me to remove both coolers and stop coolant flow to these devices.

Besides not having the wastegate wouldnt that be the same as the Elite Kit?

How is the elite kit routing the coolant lines after removing the EGR?

Also what about just making a plate for the intake elbow to seal it off after removing the egr?

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
One thing ill say, if your going to remove the EGR and run a 270+ tune. If i disable my wastegate on the 310 tune, the backpressure can spike to 80+psi. Thats generally considered not good from my understanding.

The elite kit blocks off the coolant at the motor, not the cooler.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont want to run anything but the 210 tow tune from Spartan. So I shouldnt need the wastegate right now.

Blocks it off at the motor? so just a plug or are they looping the coolant line to keep flow?

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
If i were you i would just call them, i bet they will sell you the plugs and the block off plates, you wouldnt have to have a cfm elbow but you can go that route as well. all you really have to do is get rid of the upper cooler, i dont think i would fight the lower one with the cab on.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I tore into it last night to get the thermostats out and do an Iron clean test on the coolant system. Per some flushing instructions of Fords.

I think I have managed to make my own plugs for the coolant lines. If the EGR is used but plugged do you think it needs coolant? In other words its in the intake elbow, the pcm still is trying to use it but the cooler is gone and blocked off?

so far my costs is just the new thermostats and coolant.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If i were you i would just call them, i bet they will sell you the plugs and the block off plates, you wouldnt have to have a cfm elbow but you can go that route as well. all you really have to do is get rid of the upper cooler, i dont think i would fight the lower one with the cab on.
i think you are right, i dont really need to pull that one. i have a blocker plate on the lower cooler at the exhaust manifold and the coolant line is disconnected.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here is my coolant line plugs.

i cut the line off, and tapped it with a 3/8" NPT pipe tap. Installed a 3/8" pipe plug. I plan to finish it off with a weld. The plug really isnt a tight fit but it will be better than all weld.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
What do you guys think would be a good way of performing a ERG delete but making it look stock. I ask cause I need to do that mod and for the CA emission testing that is now going on. Don't want to have to rip it out then reinstall for testing.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
here is my coolant line plugs.

i cut the line off, and tapped it with a 3/8" NPT pipe tap. Installed a 3/8" pipe plug. I plan to finish it off with a weld. The plug really isnt a tight fit but it will be better than all weld.

Did that help your issue? Looks good, good idea on welding them up.

Erik i dont know what would be the easiest way, in all reality i think you could have the coolers in place, and just block off the coolant lines with plugs, then when you need to use that stuff again, just take the plugs out and hook the cooler lines up. Only bad part is your going to have to drop the coolant each time you do it. But in all reality you could have a full egr delete (cooling system and all) without making it look like you did anything.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
I figure the only thing that would be looked at with the EGR would be where the valve is located...which would mean a CFM elbow would be the only thing that would throw them off and cause them to fail you. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts

Erik i dont know what would be the easiest way, in all reality i think you could have the coolers in place, and just block off the coolant lines with plugs, then when you need to use that stuff again, just take the plugs out and hook the cooler lines up. Only bad part is your going to have to drop the coolant each time you do it. But in all reality you could have a full egr delete (cooling system and all) without making it look like you did anything.
Ohh you can actually have it fully deleted and still look stock? That would be perfect since it is a visual test. Who's kit would work or is it a custom job?

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts

do you think just blocking the upper EGR cooler to the bottle will be enough, or would you have to block all coolant to the coolers?

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Ohh you can actually have it fully deleted and still look stock? That would be perfect since it is a visual test. Who's kit would work or is it a custom job?
Sorry man i just saw this, im sure when your at elite they can do this for you, but i dont think it would take a whole lot to make it happen.
do you think just blocking the upper EGR cooler to the bottle will be enough, or would you have to block all coolant to the coolers?
i guess you could block one end but you would have to block the coolant line/hose on the cooler side, i would just be a little worried that under high cooling system pressures that you could blow the cap out of it... maybe not. I would just get a couple of elites block offs and leave the coolers on.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Sorry man i just saw this, im sure when your at elite they can do this for you, but i dont think it would take a whole lot to make it happen.

No problem, I talked with Wayne about it a little yesterday. That was my thought too, when there we will come up with something that works out I am sure.

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
i guess you could block one end but you would have to block the coolant line/hose on the cooler side, i would just be a little worried that under high cooling system pressures that you could blow the cap out of it... maybe not. I would just get a couple of elites block offs and leave the coolers on.

i figured blocking off the cooler and just routine the degas bottle like normal for EGR delete. just dont know if not blocking off the 2 coolant pots from the block will cause a problem?
i would like to do it before i head out to w. virginia but ill wait and swing by elite and get some goodies while im there:D

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts

No problem, I talked with Wayne about it a little yesterday. That was my thought too, when there we will come up with something that works out I am sure.
i figured blocking off the cooler and just routine the degas bottle like normal for EGR delete. just dont know if not blocking off the 2 coolant pots from the block will cause a problem?
i would like to do it before i head out to w. virginia but ill wait and swing by elite and get some goodies while im there:D
Im just having a hard time remembering how the EGR system is plumbed, i think there is one line that is hard that feeds a rubber hose, and the other is a hard line the entire way??? I dont have my coolers handy to check that out, but i will give it a peak when im out at my folks house next time, But im sure they will get you figured out.

BFTaco- there is nothing wrong with blocking them both off at the block its esentially doing the same thing, you are just eliminating another place for coolant to leak from. I was going to use the EGR coolant to cool my turbo, but i just ended up using the heater hose for that instead.

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
Im just having a hard time remembering how the EGR system is plumbed, i think there is one line that is hard that feeds a rubber hose, and the other is a hard line the entire way??? I dont have my coolers handy to check that out, but i will give it a peak when im out at my folks house next time, But im sure they will get you figured out.

BFTaco- there is nothing wrong with blocking them both off at the block its esentially doing the same thing, you are just eliminating another place for coolant to leak from. I was going to use the EGR coolant to cool my turbo, but i just ended up using the heater hose for that instead.

you got jokes...i like that! i wont post pics just yetLOL
i meant just blocking the cooler part that hooks to degas bottle without worrying about the block?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts