Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my brick chimney on my house partially rebuilt. the mason cut out all the old pointing with a grinder and the dust was incredible. my truck was far away but still got dusted with the very fine dust. I didn't realize it and let the truck sit for weeks. now I have a very fine dust stuck on my windshield and some on the front fenders and hood. anyone have any idea how to get it off? I didn't wanna wash it as I was worried the grit might scratch the paint. I used just windex on the windshield and it didn't do anything, the grit is still on there. any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,847 Posts
i went through the same thing with some concrete work a while back, but i had just waxed the truck & it mostly came off relatively easy with a series of light hand washes. I used a clay bar kit on the spots that did not come off initially best i remember.
sub'd! i'd like to hear more on this :)

edit: the clay bar kit worked awesome on my windows, but i was really careful on the paint with it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was hesitant to wash it, but I guess that's what I'm gonna have to do. I was hoping for a miracle cure!

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
the more you can get of with just water the better
once the rags and sponges hit it the chances for scratches come in to play

i would even splash a surfacant like Dawn on it to keep the abrasives in suspension and don't let it dry keep misting it so do it early IMO

then up the spray PSI to get as much off with just the hose or even a pressure washer

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe i'll put some Dawn in one of those hand sprayers and reduce it with water. then spray it on and let it work for a while and then pressure wash it off and see what happens.

I'm nervous as I washed the windshield with Windex and a paper towels and it did nothing.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
thats not a good sign that means the dust had moisture on it after it sat on the truck ( overnight dew?) and it might have bonded /hardened

you want to soak this truck and keep it wet for a while IMO

they sell stuff like Ducky for boats that has a slight acid but I am not sure how it is on a painted surface I might look in to it or some other specialty product if water a DW liquid don't work

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,847 Posts
or take it to a detailer ??
you guys have some good shops to take it to?
maybe it's just me (or my bad luck), but even the reputable places around here just have a bunch of kids that will leave swirls in the paint. i've watched them wash with dirty rags, use them from car to car, rinse with the same bucket, i could go on & on with how much i hate the service i get in this damn city!!! irks the hell out of me lol

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you guys have some good shops to take it to?
maybe it's just me (or my bad luck), but even the reputable places around here just have a bunch of kids that will leave swirls in the paint. i've watched them wash with dirty rags, use them from car to car, rinse with the same bucket, i could go on & on with how much i hate the service i get in this damn city!!! irks the hell out of me lol
I'm kinda the same way, I don't trust kids. it's not that my truck is a pristine show truck or anything but if anyone is gonna really screw it up...I'd rather it was me. then I have no one to blame but myself!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i soaked the truck with dish soap and water and kept it wet for an hour or so and then pressure washed it off...with very little success. I think time and more washes will eventually get rid of it. As far as the windshield, I read that if you take extra fine steel wool and lots of windex you can remove the grit without any surface scratches on the glass. I might try that next.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i prolly shoulda thought to use a razor on the glass! this whole thing has me rattled! thanks.

·
Registered
660 Posts
0000 steel wool works great on glass w/o scratching it. You can even use a mild compound or "scratch remover" product with it and it will do wonders. Works well on hard water stains on glass as well. For the paint, I'd try clay bar first. Just keep it clean, you should be fine. Don't press hard, try an inconspicuous spot first.

·
Administrator
8,252 Posts
I use steel wool and water. Grab a chunk of it and dip it in some clean water and scrub thw window. Once it starts to dry out rinse and back to the window. Don't ring it out. Staight from bucket to window. Then to dry it use reusable diapers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts