Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having never done one on this engine

On this engine Are there any tricks or short cuts that make it easier??

Special sockets ?? Size ??

I have the FSM but there are always shortcuts to be learned.

Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Use the search, lots of good threads about it, really helped me out when I did mine for the first time.

·
Failure to Communicate
1,133 Posts
Buy yourself one of those ratcheting box end wrenches in 10mm for the back pedestal bolts, I had to very carefully grind down the end of that wrench still.

Crows foot or offset wrench for the collector bolt that is a hassle. Lots of PB Blaster before you start.

1/4 drive 10mm wobbly with a long extension for the driver side back pedestal or reach around with the box end. Takes a bit of time the first time but you will figure it out and can have it off in 20 minutes after a few times.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Remove the fuel bowl and do it from under the pedestal. With a 10mm ratcheting wrench I can haveine out in less than a half hour. Once the turbo is removed, you can gain access to the pedestal bolts easier.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Make sure you have a ratchet wrench that has the switch to reverse, I got one very stuck when I was taking my turbo off. It was on the passenger side back pedistal bolt, got it all the way up and pinned it against the up pipe collector, couldn't get it back down. I had to beat it off, probably the most time consuming part of the whole process.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help and ideas.

I really hope that one does not need to be removing the turbo on a constant basis.

I wonder if I should just put a new one on and be done.

all this work over a failed o ring

·
Registered
345 Posts
Please listen to them about the ratcheting wrenches. I used a few different lengths and it took a while to get it off. It was a PITA. The worst part is I screwed up and pinched the first o-ring so I had to do it again.
My O-rings have held up well for 2 years now, not even residue on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts