Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Ford F-350 7.3L Power Stroke
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first post to the forum so I appreciate any help in advance!

I just bought a 1996 7.3L single cab that is completely stock and I plan to keep it that way. HOWEVER, I just noticed that the previous owner had installed a TS Performance chip under the dash. I contacted him and he gave me the mappings for the positions (which are completely stock).

The previous owner kept the switch in the "75hp" position for fuel economy. My goal with this truck is to extend the life of the motor as long as I possibly can. I really don't wan to go the route of gauges and all that, etc. I am NOT racing from stop light to stop light and am usually in the slow lane.

Here is my question, will it hurt it to keep it in the 75hp setting with no modifications? Should I remove the chip all together? If I keep it on the "stock" position, is that virtually the same as removing it?

THANKS!

·
Administrator
1,367 Posts
welcome. it will not hurt much, but at minimum i would want an exhaust temperature gauge.
as for removing or returning to stock, it will be the same in stock mode as it will be removing the chip.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welcome. it will not hurt much, but at minimum i would want an exhaust temperature gauge.
as for removing or returning to stock, it will be the same in stock mode as it will be removing the chip.
Got it. So “stock” position on the tuner would be basically that and what are your thoughts on setting it to 75hp and just leaving it as is (stock wise)? I just don’t want to run into any unexpected issues from the tuner itself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, I got the following from Isspro and am going to keep the tuner in there and run it at “75hp”:
  • Pillar
  • Pyrometer (0-1600)
  • Boost Gauge (0-40)
  • Trans Temp (100-280)
Isspro part number: R60013

I think you’re right and this should provide a better piece of mind that things are where they should be. What do you think?

·
Registered
209 Posts
The abuse of your truck will not come from running in the add-on power setting , at some point it could save your day..aprieciate it and have fun .. The Gov Holmes

·
Administrator
1,367 Posts
Alright, I got the following from Isspro and am going to keep the tuner in there and run it at “75hp”:
  • Pillar
  • Pyrometer (0-1600)
  • Boost Gauge (0-40)
  • Trans Temp (100-280)
Isspro part number: R60013

I think you’re right and this should provide a better piece of mind that things are where they should be. What do you think?
very wise choice.
keep exhaust temps under 1100 degrees and you will be golden.
stock injectors are good for around extra 80 hp, they you will get black smoke on heavy throttle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very wise choice.
keep exhaust temps under 1100 degrees and you will be golden.
stock injectors are good for around extra 80 hp, they you will get black smoke on heavy throttle.
It looks like most people (and instructions) are installing in these three locations. Does that sound consistent with what other folks would do? Some say T the MAP line for boost gauge but are seeing not as great performance. Definitely seems easier haha but pointless if it doesn't work well.

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Automotive super charger part

·
Administrator
1,367 Posts
i put the EGT sensor in the lower rear of the driver side manifold, and tapped off the MAP sensor line for boost. that was on my 02 7.3 my older 7.3 is an IDI.
as for trans temp sensor, no idea, i never got around to installing one.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
My MAP/boost gauge is just T'ed into the MAP line and works fine.

The EGT probe is tapped into the bend of the drivers side exhaust manifold.

Since I have a 5 speed I didn't worry about the trans temperature gauge.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My MAP/boost gauge is just T'ed into the MAP line and works fine.

The EGT probe is tapped into the bend of the drivers side exhaust manifold.

Since I have a 5 speed I didn't worry about the trans temperature gauge.
Perfect. I would much rather tap into the MAP line than drill directly into the Y pipe. I obviously haven't received the kit yet from ISSPRO but I believe they are one of the ones who have instructions and hardware to drill directly into Y pipe. Do you think a connector like this would work with the ISSPRO Boost gauge? Looks like it would work with both a boost hose or a sensor. Not sure what the hardware will look like for the ISSPRO...

Light Product Line Font Adaptation

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Line

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
My boost gauge was from ISSPRO and it came with all the fittings and I believe instructions on taping into the MAP line. But it has been 25 years since I put it in so don't quote me. It did come with a plastic T with snap over plastic clamps.

On the EGT probe I just went down to the local hardware store and picked up a drill and tap combination for 7/16 NPT I believe. I did drill a 1/8" hole and then a 1/4" hole before I used the larger bit. But with the action of the bit drawing any metal shavings out of the hole everything should be clean. Before installing the probe I did start the truck up for a bit to clean out the hole. Did it make a difference? I have no idea but that is what others were suggesting at the time when I did mine.

On the pod lights, if you want them to dim you can tap into the #10 fuse in the in cab fuse panel. It is for the instrument lights.

My gauges were mechanical so if you get the electronic ones you will need to find a key on power source to activate them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

This is my first post to the forum so I appreciate any help in advance!

I just bought a 1996 7.3L single cab that is completely stock and I plan to keep it that way. HOWEVER, I just noticed that the previous owner had installed a TS Performance chip under the dash. I contacted him and he gave me the mappings for the positions (which are completely stock).

The previous owner kept the switch in the "75hp" position for fuel economy. My goal with this truck is to extend the life of the motor as long as I possibly can. I really don't wan to go the route of gauges and all that, etc. I am NOT racing from stop light to stop light and am usually in the slow lane.

Here is my question, will it hurt it to keep it in the 75hp setting with no modifications? Should I remove the chip all together? If I keep it on the "stock" position, is that virtually the same as removing it?

THANKS!
My 97 had a single position "towing" chip for the first 209,000 miles. That was replaced with a TS 6 position and I wouldn't want to go without it. I leave it in the 75hp economy mode and it gets better MPG than stock mode. It also has more power and starts better in the cold. It has 319,000 on it now. I don't do it often but let me tell ya, you pop that sucker into the 140hp "******* mode" and it comes right to life. Don't even think about playing in the rain in that mode unless you want to have a handful. Second gear shift at moderate throttle turn the rear end sideways.

I say keep the chip and run economy mode. The tow mode is great for big loads too. It changes the shift points and timing a lot.

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
1970s,
My TorquePro gauge is labeled "Vacuum" or "Boost" on screen depending on where the needle is at the moment.
The choice when setting it up is "Turbo Boost and Vacuum". It may be that you have to download a Ford Profile for the 7.3. Honestly I've slept since I set this up so I don't remember, but I vaguely remember having to download a 7.3 "profile". The values on the screen while running seem like the right idea, but the only other turbo I've ever owned was a 2.0 liter gasoline engine so I'm not sure what values are reasonable. My truck has a chip, 4 inch exhaust and an air filter kit. The waste gate is wired shut. When I'm full on it can hit 20 in/hg or so.
Also FYI, sometimes it takes a few seconds for this gauge to wake up.
Manning

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.