Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the lumbar support bag in my drivers seat is going, it will fill up but in less than an hour its totally flat again. im asuming the bag is toast. is there any way of getting it out and fixing or replacing it? i have a few long roadtrips planned for the summer id like to get it fixed before then
thanks again

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
check the little hose thats at the back right of the seat, it comes from hunder the seat and goes up to the bag. More then likely it has broke.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Look into getting some superduty seats. It made a huge different in mine, and they have much more lumbar support.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Okay, here's what I had to do to mine. First, I removed the seat...undid the electrical connectors and unbolted it (fairly easy).

Now there was a couple of clips that keep the top half of the seat cover tensioned, if my memory is correct. Undid those. Then I compressed the foam in the back, and slowly pulled the seat cover off. It took some gentle persuasion but mine went fine. (You just have to do the upper part of the seat, not the part your butt sits on!)

Now the lumbar bag was plainly visible. Mine was dry rotted, the vinyl had aged and was splitting beyond repair (I tried with vinyl repair tape but the vinyl was too brittle from old age, it was obvious it would keep cracking). I paid big bucks for the Ford bag to replace it and it still wasn't identical. In hindsight, I think next time I'd use a cuff off a blood pressure machine, or a rubber enema bottle.

Okay, here's the extra part I had to do. The frame crosspieces are fairly flimsy, the crossmember at the lumbar bag had broken the (crappy factory tack) weld loose. I welded it back, and reinforced the seat back by adding a couple more crosspieces above (and I think below) the existing bottom crosspiece, with some reinforcing on the crosspieces. So the crosspieces now extended (vertically) the full height of the lumbar bag. This gave the lumbar bag a solid surface to press against, as well as making the seat back itself much more rigid. Note: I welded the crosspieces and the reinforcements in without removing the foam. I covered the foam with a damp towel and a leather welding apron, I think, taking reasonable care to avoid setting my seat on fire. I think the crosspieces I added were something like 3/16 thick by 2" steel flats, which I bent slightly to match the curve of the existing crossmember. Don't quote me on those sizes, I usually keep several widths of flats around so I just grabbed some.

Anyhow, the drivers seat back is now better than new. The lumbar bag actually offers much better support. I had noticed even when new, when you inflated the lumbar bag, you could feel it "spilling over" into the seat pocket behind the seat. No more of this now!

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome! thanks for the write up bil,. kinda involved ill check the hose first LOL. but that will be the next step

·
Registered
139 Posts
My lumbar support brackets were broken from the seat frame but I never used them so I pulled them out. Im not sure if they are still laying around or not though because both bags were still in good shape

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so sorry it took me so long to get around to it but anyways i got the seat out and pulled the cover up, the bag and the hose are both perfectly fine but the bracket is completely broken off i dont really want to re weld it cause i dont want to tear the entire seat apart and i dont want to risk burning the seat up could i do it with half way decent skills without toasting it? what would be the best way to re attach it short of welding?
thanks guys

·
Registered
797 Posts
As I wrote earlier, I welded mine (MIG) without taking the entire seat apart, I just pulled the top cover off, once you get it past a few inches it comes off and goes back on easy. Then move the foam slightly, and use appropriate fire-resistant covering.

TIG would indeed be better than MIG (lots less sparks to worry about), I agree with Haztanker (I had to MIG mine cause I don't have a TIG setup).

Pull the top cover off, take the whole seat to a welding shop and ask 'em to TIG it, I bet they'll do it for $50 or $75 without burning your seat up. I don't see any other method, other than welding, as really being practical here.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i was looking at it again but i think i can cover it up enough to safley MIg it i dont have a tig seup but im a pretty decent welder, it wont be terribly pretty but it will hold and thats all that matters, ill just make sure someones there with water or an extinguisher just in case

·
Registered
231 Posts
yeah i was looking at it again but i think i can cover it up enough to safley MIg it i dont have a tig seup but im a pretty decent welder, it wont be terribly pretty but it will hold and thats all that matters, ill just make sure someones there with water or an extinguisher just in case
If you are careful I agree a mig will work, tig was suggested to minimize risk of damage via sparks, both result in seat fixed.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i got it all welded up. i miged it, took my time let it cool off after every short bead let it cool for a while before putting the bag back in as well. much more comfortable now
thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts