Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so thare are a few small threads about remote start systems for diesels but i would like more feedback. we just had the first 30 degree night and it got me thinking so what brands do you guys have? how do you like them and maybe a price you had to pay? im not interested in the alarms but others may be so post that too. Thanks Guys

·
Rollin' Coal
291 Posts
Just had a full remote start and alarm installed. Paid $430 or so installed. Working great so far, it's a Viper 5701 and does the job. Hope this helps.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Alarms on our trucks have to use the delay timer feature. You set a time delay for how long you want it to run the glowplugs before trying to start.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Most, of the newer one's have a diesel "wire" of sorts that hooks into your glow plug circuit. Sometimes it will cycle 2X which is fine. Mine also has a turbo cool down built in.

I

·
0 Posts
Mine has a Viper in it with an adjustable cool down. The cool down works like this.. Before you turn the key to off, there is a button on the dash, you push and hold your brake peddle down and each time you push the button counts for 5 minutes. Then take your key out. the truck will run for however long you set it for. And it locks the doors after it shuts down. If you touch the brake while in cool down mode it kills the truck so no one can steel it..
It works perfect..

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Most, of the newer one's have a diesel "wire" of sorts that hooks into your glow plug circuit. Sometimes it will cycle 2X which is fine. Mine also has a turbo cool down built in.
I wasnt going to mention that since its complicated with our trucks.

If you hook the wire to the light on the dash it can screw up the pcm. Theres a bunch of articles on this on alarm installer sites so its considered a no no.

The 2nd option for direct wiring is to hook to the gpr. Sure that gives you an accurate when to crank point because the glow plugs are truly off at that point. But the glow plugs run up to 2 minutes if its even remotely cold outside. Not good either :D

Thus the only real option is to use the timer feature of the alarm like I mentioned.

I

·
0 Posts
:whs:
Mine gp remote system is timed at 25 seconds..It isn't hooked to the remote start at all. I didn't want anything wired to that circuit..

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
We use AstroStarts up here and they work well, they to have built in turbo timers and many different options to set up your glow plug delay.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
i put a crime stoppers unit in mine.
a very time consuming install there are a few wires to splice.
one good option is to get a harness adapter the plugs in between the main harness under the steering wheel, that way your not splicing your oem,
it also comes with a few leads ready to hook up.

my unit can either tap the glowplug relay timer circut, or you can give it a default time...which i did.
it hooks into the horn, lights, door locks,( in two spots)has a hood latch, sensor, and then the starter circut and power in a couple of spots.
it has a pitstop/turbo time built in so 1~5 pushes of a small switch gives you 1 min of idle per push, best part is the range of the remote, and of course the remote start...

personally if i had the money i would do a viper kit and pro install as long as the install was 350 or less (more like 200)

·
Well Tester
209 Posts
Astro Start & Alarm Combo for me. runtime of like 45min or so thats maxed out i think. good for 5000ft. mine was $1250 with all i wanted. but thats without the turbo timer add on which you can get too and a few other things. i love mine though....you can def get it cheaper now though. ASTRO START all the way in my books. pain in the ass to set up and program but once she is set up its the best money can buy and life time warrenty

·
Well Tester
209 Posts
nevermind....i guess i do have a turbo timer...hmm guess ill have to look at my manual....oh did i just say that lol

·
Registered
536 Posts
anyone know how remote starts effect your warranty??

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Should have no effect on warranty if installed correctly. We had a customer bring in an 09' Yukon that they had some shadetree gut put a auto start in and burned some wires and would not start after he repaired the wires. Ended up burning up a module that was not even available to buy yet and the dealer voided their warranty. The rig only had like 1200 miles on it too. I would defiantly check with YOUR dealer and make sure it wont. The dealers up here actually install them on their new rigs.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I will be checking my dealer, thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
i have a viper also, its about 4 years old i use it allmost dailey and have never had a problem with it. i paid i think about 350 installed with alarm and keyless entry. {that i did not have befor} jay

·
young and dumb
238 Posts
my installer took my gauge cluster apart and soldered the wire that goes to the wait to start light to the actual bulb on the circuit board, thats how he always does his and it works everytime

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Hope the ones adding a wire straight to the wait to start light dont end up with problems from it later. You have to add a diode. Just adding wire without the diode is asking for trouble.

Its easier to just program the remote start to a longer delay. All of them have that. Just set it to however many seconds you think you will ever need. If it doesnt crank then it will go thru the cycle again on its own with more glow plug time or you can stop the starting yourself and try again. Either way it will crank.

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Why would a diode stop any problems, the auto start is just sensing voltage, not using this circuit as an output.:shrug:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts